What's new

US & NATO Behind Rabbani Assassination?

muse

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Two Atimes articles I thought we might all enjoy

The first one :

If not the Taliban, then who killed Rabbani?
By Bashir Ahmad Gwakh

It has been nearly 48 hours since former Afghan president Burhanuddin Rabbani was assassinated in a brazen suicide attack in Kabul, but in an uncharacteristic twist in a country where Taliban claims of responsibility are standard procedure, the militant organization has officially provided only a "no comment".

The group's muted response, its refutation of early claims of responsibility attributed to a Taliban spokesman, and various accusations being tossed about, add to what is developing as a genuine whodunit.

What is known is that the attack was up close and personal. The 70-year-old Rabbani, who headed the High Peace Council established by the president's office to facilitate negotiations with the Taliban, was killed in his home upon receiving a man bearing a "special message" from Afghan Taliban leader Mullah Omar.

In a news conference held on September 22 by the country's intelligence service, the National Directorate of Security (NDS), an eyewitness to the assassination described the scene.

Ramatullah Wahidyar, a member of the High Peace Council and former deputy minister in the former Taliban regime, was the one who brought the bomber to meet with Rabbani and with top presidential adviser Mohammad Masoom Stanekzai, who was seriously injured in the attack.

"When we entered into the main building of [Rabbani's house, his secretary] Haji Nazir opened the door. The [suicide bomber] entered the room before me," Wahidyar said. "Ustad [Rabbani] was sitting right in front and [Masum] Stankezai was sitting next to him. Ustad then got up from his seat and opened his arms to embrace him, saying, 'Welcome, welcome'. The guest then moved forward and bowed his head to give him a hug. Then there was a loud bang and I blacked out. When I regained consciousness, I saw that Ustad and Stanekzai had been taken away."

'It was a trick'
According to President Hamid Karzai, it was Stanekzai who first alerted him that a messenger had arrived in Kabul bearing an audio CD with a message of peace from a Taliban representative.

After listening to the audio message, the president said, he spoke with Rabbani, who then rushed back from a trip to Iran to listen to the recording himself.

"Before I went to the UN General Assembly [in New York], I knew that a meeting between Rabbani and Taliban members was going to take place," Karzai said. But "it was not a peace message", Karzai said on September 22. "It was a trick."

Several questions remain unanswered.

What was on the CD and why would Rabbani drop his guard to meet with a supposed representative of the Taliban, which had threatened him on numerous occasions?

And why was the Taliban reaction so confused? If the assassination was intended to signal the Taliban's strong lack of interest in negotiations, then that is not the message that was sent with its uncharacteristic "no comment" issued on September 21.

Initially, Taliban spokesman Zabihullah Mujahid claimed responsibility for the attack in an interview with Reuters. But the same spokesman later wrote in a statement to RFE/RL's Radio Free Afghanistan on September 21 that the group "did not know about the incident".

Later the same day, the Taliban issued a broad statement to the media stating that it had no comment on Rabbani's assassination, rejecting the Reuters report as baseless, and demanding a correction.

Indication of division?
On September 21, Reuters and other news agencies published follow-up reports highlighting the confusion and exploring the question of whether it is an indication of division within the highest ranks of the Taliban. On September 22, RFE/RL's Radio Free Afghanistan reported that Mujahid had sent a new message providing new contact details.

The circumstances and details, then, continue to be murky. But even without the clarity that the expected admission from the Taliban would provide, it is clear that the group is considered the main suspect.

"The perpetrators are known. It was the Taliban. But the Taliban doesn't have the ability to carry out such a well-organized operation alone," Balkh province governor Ata Muhammad Noor told Radio Free Afghanistan on September 21. "Pakistan's ISI [Inter-Services Intelligence] was supporting them."

Officially, however, investigators are allowing for other possibilities.
Speaking to journalists in Kabul on September 22, NDS spokesman Shafiqullah Taheri said that it was possible that apart from the Quetta shura, the leadership council of the Afghan Taliban that is believed to be based in Pakistan, other elements were involved in planning and pulling off the attack.

"Our investigations are continuing. What we know so far is that a person named Hamidullah Akhund came to talk to the peace council," he said. "He claimed to be representing the Quetta shura. This means that the Quetta shura was involved in the attack. But as the investigations progress, we will know who else was involved."

Warlord past
There are a number of entities who could be seen as benefiting from the new landscape. While Rabbani's assassination is seen as a blow to the peace process, there have also been whispers that his warlord past was a hurdle to negotiations.

Whether it carried out the attack or not, observers predict that the Taliban's recruiting efforts and image as a hard-hitting insurgent group will be strengthened following the assassination.

Depending on how the chips fall, politicians opposed to both Karzai and the Taliban stand to gain. An opposition grouping headed by opposition leader Abdullah Abdullah has strongly opposed the idea of negotiating with the Taliban and has characterized the group as unworthy of participating in the government. This position could prove attractive in future elections.
And Rabbani did not lack for enemies. This was a man, after all, who is remembered by many Kabulis as the person responsible for the shelling of their city during the Afghan civil war.

So it is plausible that someone other than the Taliban might have wanted him dead. The question is, if not the Taliban, then who?

RFE/RL correspondent Frud Bezhan and Radio Free Afghanistan correspondent Zarghona Mangal contributed to this report.
"death to Karzai" and "death to the ISI"

It seems the US has set in motion the backgrounder for the assasination of karzai himself - US policy makers have long referred to Karzai and his brothers as the Afghan version of the Ngô Đình Diệm problem and have pretty much the same solution for the karzai brothers

If the word from Kabul and President Hamid Karzai’s interview to The Independent, UK, is anything to go by, he is likely to pull a Hafizullah Amin on the US, with the blessings of the Pakistani security agencies and help from the Hizb-e-Islami (Hekmatyar) men that he has surrounded himself with. This is unlikely to go well with the US but more importantly with the non-Ikhwanite Pashtuns as well as the Tajik, Hazara and Uzbek Afghans that Karzai has systematically purged from his government.

Who killed Burhanuddin Rabbani?

The Taliban’s statement denying involvement in the killing of Burhanuddin Rabbani, head of the Afghan High Council for Peace, is coming on the third day of the incident. Evidently, Quetta Shura thoroughly checked out with the various Taliban factions before coming out with this statement. Indeed, Taliban, uncharacteristically enough, was not on message this time. They are normally the first with a claim, but this time they weren’t.

A Guardian editorial, too, makes this important point: “Rabbani’s scalp would have been high on the target of the Taliban, who have turned to killing senior Afghan leaders, but for the fact that he was also the head of the high peace council. Bombing him would be akin to bombing the talks themselves, and there was no suggestion from the Taliban leadership that this is their aim.”

Indeed, Taliban supremo Mullah Omar’s recent Eid message was widely interpreted as signifying a change of time, signalling that the future of the insurgency could lie in politics. A commentary by Ahmed Rashid is here. Another commentary by the US-funded Radio Free Europe / Radio Liberty virtually echoing Rashid’s mind is here.

A number of theories have appeared on who killed Rabbani, adding to all-round confusion, and the only good thing is that the needle of suspicion is moving by the day further and further away from the Taliban. But then, someone did order Rabbani’s killing, isn’t it? Who was it?

Continue digging deeper and deeper, and don’t allow oneself be distracted by the US’s drum-beating or sabre-rattling against Pakistan.

PM Manmohan Singh’s statement spoke volumes. He refused to rush to judgment as to whose hand it is that is red with Rabbani’s blood. Let me quote his message to Karzai:

“It is with great shock and sadness that I have learnt of the tragic death of Professor Burhanuddin Rabbani. This is a senseless act of terrorism which the Government and people of India condemn. I fondly recall my two meetings with Professor Rabbani in Kabul in May 2011 and in New Delhi in July 2011 during which he had shared with me his vision of peace and reconciliation in Afghanistan. The best tribute the people of Afghanistan can pay to him is to carry on with the task that he had begun — securing a peaceful and safe future for the people of Afghanistan. Please accept my deepest condolences on the tragic loss. I wish to assure Your Excellency that India stands by you and the people of Afghanistan in this hour.”

Maybe, PM will inquire from Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmedinejad when they meet in New York this week. Tehran is very well clued-in as to what is happening in the name of the war on terror in Afghanistan. Besides, Tehran was Rabbani’s very last port of call, from where he headed for Sharjah to spend a few days with his family members who live there.

That is, until he was asked to rush back to Kabul by an Afghan official who conveyed a message from the US and British embassies in Kabul that they had something of extreme importance to discuss with him urgently and he should get back. Which he, alas, did.

The Iranians would know what was on Rabbani’s mind as he walked into the sunset. Most certainly, Ambassador Mohsen Pak-Ayeen would be one of them who spent time chatting up Rabbani in Tehran. That was one of the two reasons why what Ambassador Pak-Ayeen said caught my attention.

The second reason was that he was my Iranian colleague when I served as ambassador in Tashkent. Those were the tumultuous days of the Northern Alliance and the anti-Taliban resistance. Ambassador Pak-Ayeen and I became great friends — and, boy, don’t I know if there is one diplomat in our region who knows Afghanistan like the back of his hands, it is him, it is him. What he said is here.:

Iranian FM Official Blames NATO for Rabbani's Assassination

TEHRAN (FNA)- A senior Iranian Foreign Ministry official here on Wednesday condemned the US-led NATO forces in Afghanistan for the last night assassination of former Afghan President Burhanudin Rabbani.

Speaking to FNA here in Tehran on Wednesday, Head of the Iranian Foreign Ministry's Afghanistan Headquarters Mohsen Pak-Ayeen voiced deep regret over the cowardly assassination of the former Afghan president, and described Rabbani as a clergy Mujahed (combatant of God) who fought against the colonialist policies of such countries as England and the former Soviet Union.

He reminded that Rabbani also strongly opposed a security pact between Kabul and Washington on the establishment of permanent US military bases in Afghanistan.

"His assassination was aimed at an omission of a Mujahed who has fought for Afghanistan's independence for years and came as part of a chain of terror attacks which led to the killing of Davoud Zee and Ahmad Karzai," the diplomat stated.

He said those behind the terror attack on Rabbani's life aimed to pressure Karzai's government to consent to their demands.

"The NATO member states, and the US at the top of them, are responsible for this terror attack as they invaded Afghanistan under the excuse of establishing security and campaign against terrorism 10 years ago, but they have failed to restore security to Afghanistan.

"Foreign countries, headed by the US, are seeking to gain a permanent military deployment in Afghanistan and they martyr everyone who is opposed to their permanent presence, including Martyr Rabbani
." Pak-Ayeen reiterated.

Rabbani was killed in a terror attack Tuesday night by a bomb hidden in a turban.

Rabbani was the head of a high-profile council called Afghanistan's High Peace Council formed of former and present senior officials. He also was Afghanistan's president from 1992 to 1996, when the country went through a brutal civil war. His government was ousted by the Taliban in 1996.

Hi,

Before 9/11 happened, a major afghan figure was assasinated by a suicide bomber---now again a major afghan figure is assasinated again by a suicide bomber---what is tia pre-cursor to---.

I don't know how come the 'Who killed Rabbani' question arises when Taliban proudly claim the glorious deed and saved us of all conspiracy theories.

Rabbani had good contact with Pakistan and he was only person with contacts to all groups. By getting him its like shoot in own foot by Pakistanies. So why would Pakistanies kill him ? All is topi drama started from last year when americans said if any attack from Pakistan will be anwered balbla. From day one what Hamid Gul said was 100% truth.

I don't know how come the 'Who killed Rabbani' question arises when Taliban proudly claim the glorious deed and saved us of all conspiracy theories.

The very morning when I read this news I knew who it could be, and none but one. And the needle points north, while you are looking south. That Ambassador is, what you call, spot on.

The best way to find the perpetrator is to look for the biggest beneficiary. Even if the Taliban had claimed the assassination, it would be too hard for me to believe that.

You see what I mean when I say their entire project is tenuous? Their major arab ally threatens to drop them as ally, their arab military ally is no more and is under trial, the Persian adversary mocks them --- if this fails, where will they retreat to? israel?? if fact they will have been thrown out of South, South West and central Asia - they are desperate - and what of their North Atlantic alliance and it's "ambitions"? And how will this impact their ambitions in North Africa?

And all over the crowds that once prostrated towards Washington, now head to different parts of China -- The Indian Premier considers a visit to Iran, breaking the isolation they impose on Iran -- he may be carrying a message, but then others too have delivered their messages -- the message they hear in return is too painful for them

The question is very vital for us Pakistanis because Rabbani was PRO-Pakistan and recently he visited Pakistan few times and held secret meeting with Pakistani officials too. He was in contact with us and Taliban groups for formation of broad-based Govt in Afghanistan with all sides onboard specially pro-Pakistan groups.

So one can clearly guess who would kill Rabbani

And of course recall that Ahmad Shah Masood, Prof Rabbani and Hikmatyar were ISI assets since their university of kabul days - indeed, former JI chief and universiuty of Peshawar lecturer, Qazi Hussien Ahmad was their handler

You know magicians and the distraction bit ?? You pay attention to loud noises and don't pay attention to whats happening in front of you.

Rabbani rushed back from vacation on the advice of the US and UK embassies, because they wanted to meet with him, in other words they set him up, they brought him to the stage where he was to be assassinated -- The US and UK embassies were obviously i the know about this so called important message that the Talib did not know about -- READ

You see what I mean when I say their entire project is tenuous? Their major arab ally threatens to drop them as ally, their arab military ally is no more and is under trial, the Persian adversary mocks them --- if this fails, where will they retreat to? israel?? if fact they will have been thrown out of South, South West and central Asia - they are desperate - and what of their North Atlantic alliance and it's "ambitions"? And how will this impact their ambitions in North Africa?

And all over the crowds that once prostrated towards Washington, now head to different parts of China -- The Indian Premier considers a visit to Iran, breaking the isolation they impose on Iran -- he may be carrying a message, but then others too have delivered their messages -- the message they hear in return is too painful for them

Assassination of Rabbani is a display of their level of desperation. It is also a sign of how far they are prepared to go and they clearly want no compromise. But such desperation in itself is the sign of their weak position.

Do you think Mullen can really pull off an Iraq here?

A prolonged continuation of affairs in this manner is not tenable for the US. Neither financially nor militarily. But they do want a permanent base in Afghanistan, and Rabbani's death means greater difficulties in bringing the Taliban to the negotiation table.

All this, the Haqqani spat, and then intermittent statements coming out of Afghanistan with regard to "its territory" stretching up to Indus keep reminding me of that leaked middle-east map.

Lazy Islamicans who can't be bothered to read, I can understand, but lazy Indians?

Oh boy...The articles do point in an entirely different direction...

Oh boy...The articles do point in an entirely different direction...

I hope you did not think any one was a saint there. The NATO is there for its own goals. Pakistan for its own. The government is too busy holding on to the seat. Taliban wants its own power, for purposes known to all of us.

Only thing is, the US has money to spend, and Pakistan has men. Pity, India has none.

And Afghanistan, well, that's just a piece of barren land, people don't exist there.

Ah okay I read the article. Hmmm interesting time ahead ...

Back
Top Bottom