What's new

U.S. Naval Basing in Sri Lanka?

Skyline

Reaction score
Country
Sri Lanka
by David A. Anderson and Anton Wijeyesekera
October 15, 2011 - 8:56am

As a prominent place for naval harboring and maritime security in the Indian Ocean, Sri Lanka is an ideal location for a naval base to oversee the Indian Ocean and its increasingly busy shipping lanes.[1] No other nation in the South Asian region can claim the importance Sri Lanka has in terms of its geography.[2] Places such as Pakistan, Bangladesh, and Maldives, all have their own geographic and strategic value, but from a naval strategic point of view, Sri Lanka brings more advantages in terms of distances to strategic points along the littoral and protection of fleets and sea-lanes.[3]

In the past, Sri Lanka accorded permission to US naval forces to use the harbor at Trincomalee for rest and recuperation. At one point, there was widespread rumor that Trincomalee might become a US naval base. Since 1983 however, Sri Lanka’s importance in terms of a possible base diminished considerably as a result of the security situation that prevailed within the country. However, with Sri Lanka’s defeat of the Tamil Tigers in 2009, should the US pursue establishing a naval base in Sri Lanka?

Full story> U.S. Naval Basing in Sri Lanka? | Small Wars Journal

No chance for a US Base in Sri Lanka if India Oppose it...

US base in SL is a threat for India.

Hence it wont happen.

They can stay in Diego Garcia for now.

Who is India to oppose it?Its Srilanka's sovereign right to whom ever they like they can offer base.

India will not want a US base in SL or Chinese base or base of any other country for that matter. Refueling and replenishment facilities is OK but a full fledged naval base, no.

In this neighborhood, US will have to care about India's interests.

This is just a game, If US give up its interest China will secure it. If China able to secure military base they won't need to change the name. :D

This is just a game, If US give up its interest China will secure it. If China able to secure military base they won't need to change the name. :D

If China secures a base in Sri Lanka. I would say that will be the most foolish decision by SL Lawmakers.
It will be suicide for Sri Lanka. Sorry if i sound arrogant.
But India will do anything to nullify such a threat and India will not play fair.

If China secures a base in Sri Lanka. I would say that will be the most foolish decision by SL Lawmakers.
It will be suicide for Sri Lanka. Sorry if i sound arrogant.
But India will do anything to nullify such a threat and India will not play fair.

China bay base at Trinco is a very important base to anyone.

Pic from China bay base @ Trinco, Sri Lanka.
F-7GS
F-7GSSFI51055SqnKatanuyake09feb11JurgenvanToor.jpg

China bay base at Trinco is a very important base to anyone.

All we are requesting you is to not give China Bay to China or any other country. Its not worth the risk (for Sri Lanka that is)

Back
Top Bottom