What's new

Two nuclear power plants to be commissioned by 2016

UmarJustice

New Recruit

Reaction score
ISLAMABAD: Two nuclear power plants, 340MW each, are under construction at Chashma and are expected to be commissioned by 2016, with Chinese assistance.

Construction of these power plants became possible after a long-standing agreement, while three other nuclear power plants already commissioned in the country are performing well. According to official sources, a major chunk of the PAEC budget has been allocated to two nuclear power plants, adding PAEC envisages production of 8,800MW by the year 2030 through nuclear power reactors.

“An amount of Rs34.6 billion has been set aside for ChashmaNuclear Power Plants, C3 and C4. The total cost of these two projects is Rs190 billion which will be partially funded by a Rs136 billion Chinese loan.”

The government has so far spent Rs62.4 billion on the megaproject having a 660MW generation capacity. With Rs34.6 billion additional spending, the government will be able to complete almost half of the work by June 2013, the official said.

According to an official in the Ministry of Science and Technology, the government is harmonising the efforts made in the energy sector by different ministries, departments and research centres by creating an “Energy Council” with heads of relevant organisations.

The council will be entrusted to advise on priority areas for Research and Development (R&D) and management of resources and to fill the gaps.Acquisition of technology for building nuclear power reactors through R&D, as well as transfer of technology agreements is also under consideration, he said.

http://www.thenews.com.pk/Todays-News-13-21158-Two-nuclear-power-plants-to-be-commissioned-by-2016

I don't like this project. You have better and cheaper resources like Thar coal and Kalabagh Dam which are sufficient to not only meet the demands of today's Pakistan but enough to export it too. Kalabagh Dam would not only provide electricity but manage the water follow. If the dam was built, billions worth loss would have been avoided during the flash floods in the last three consecutive years.

Thar coal however, would provide cheapest electricity and would be ideal for export which would give a huge boost to Pakistan's exports hence economy. Watch the interview of Dr. Samar Mubarakband on this matter.

I don't like this project. You have better and cheaper resources like Thar coal and Kalabagh Dam which are sufficient to not only meet the demands of today's Pakistan but enough to export it too. Kalabagh Dam would not only provide electricity but manage the water follow. If the dam was built, billions worth loss would have been avoided during the flash floods in the last three consecutive years.

Thar coal however, would provide cheapest electricity and would be ideal for export which would give a huge boost to Pakistan's exports hence economy. Watch the interview of Dr. Samar Mubarakband on this matter.

Thar coal is not a viable project for production of electricity. These nuclear power plants will be a welcome addition to the power grid for sure.

Dr Samar also mentioned that it requires billions of rupees worth research if we are to make our production completely indigenous. On the other hand Installation cost of nuclear plant is more than other sources but running cost is much much cheaper meaning cheap electricity and life cycle is also much better. A lot of countries have done research on gasification due to similar problems faced with higher water content but couldn't put it to practical use in most cases.

Pakistan should spend the money on Research and Development so that we can produce and install nuclear reactors inhouse. the goal should be to produce 1000 Megawatt Plants and install them all over the country ( at least 20 of those by 2030 ).

Pakistan should spend the money on Research and Development so that we can produce and install nuclear reactors inhouse. the goal should be to produce 1000 Megawatt Plants and install them all over the country ( at least 20 of those by 2030 ).

While the goal that you mention is laudable, it is realistically unachievable, given the present state of development within Pakistan, the level of sophistication needed to develop and install complete nuclear power plants, and the amount of funds need to acquire the know-how by 2030.

While the goal that you mention is laudable, it is realistically unachievable, given the present state of development within Pakistan, the level of sophistication needed to develop and install complete nuclear power plants, and the amount of funds need to acquire the know-how by 2030.

I agree that it will be an uphill battle, but then who would believed Bhutto when he said Pakistan will have nuclear weapons in next few decades. Where there is will, there is a way.

I agree that it will be an uphill battle, but then who would believed Bhutto when he said Pakistan will have nuclear weapons in next few decades. Where there is will, there is a way.

Agreed 100%.

If we as a nation decide that this is the way forward, I have no doubt we can do it. But given the present state of the economy and the mounting social and political problems, I am not very hopeful, unless a good government assumes power after the elections.

Building a nuclear weapon is a much simpler project than building a nuclear power plant. In addition to the fissile material, we need to develop expertise in the pressure vessel, reactor housing and control systems, coolant pumps, heat exchanges and steam turbines. To be able to do all that in 15 odd years is a tall order for any nation in Pakistan's present state of development, let alone one dealing with internal strife as Pakistan is these days.

Agreed. But security concerns will affect Pakistan's economy for couple of years.

Also, economic woes are important since Pakistan has huge debt problem and it needs energy immediately whereas these nuclear plants' commercial usage will take time. I would rather say extending the time limit to 2020. That's my personal opinion.

any links for backing ur claims ???? i don't think so.. i agree with the Dam project but coal,,.. its not the cheapest source and besides,.. we can't just rely on a single or a few projects.. we need all means of electricity,.. and Nuclear is one of the cheaper sources of electricity...

Thar coal may be the ideal solution so far along with Kalabagh dam.

Energy production using coal is old tech that has been improved by many countries esp China and the tech transfer comes under no profileration regulations. It will take a lot of funds to get that project going but once it does, cheap electricity and the resulting economic expansion can offset the initial cost in a few years.

Why isn.t china providing pakistan higher capacity reactors, like the 750 or 1000 MW types? I think the 330 MW types are outdated,though I may be wrong.

Back
Top Bottom