What's new

Turkish Marine Corps

Bismarck

Reaction score
Country
Germany
I want know, have Turkey a Marine Corps? Turkey has a 8000 km long coast and many Island infront of the door. So, it makes sense, if they has. If yes, how many they have (manpower) and how are they equipped?

@Cabatli brought me out (Keyword FNSS AVV).

^ plus :

3 light infantry brigades of egean army and one more brigade in kayseri for airborn operations.

so these 5 brigades acctualy makes an "offically unorganized" marine corps.

plus 5 commando brigades can make airborn operations.

SAT/SAS is also marine commandos/special forces right ?

@Bismarck

1- It's not Turkish Marine Corps. It's "Amphibious Naval Infantry Brigade". Publicly known as "Amphibious Marines".

They're not a Marine Infantry. They are officially recognised as Marine Commando.
(same as Royal Navy's swimming tommys)

2- Current number is unknown. But it's estimated to be 4,500. It consists by 4 Infantry Battalions (it may be 3, too), 1 Artillery Battalion and 1 Armored Battalion.

3- But that number is the peacetime manpower. As we've seen at Operation Atilla (Cyprus), the DZKK had re-called the citizens/retired staff whom had served in the Marines before. Today, my guess is Navy can hold personnel up to at least 10,000 into the marines during wartime.

4- Infantry; They're pretty well equipped when compared to other service branches. To answer what makes them different than Army/AF Airborne is;

- G3A7 or T-50 (most of them use optic sights and grenade launchers)
- Body armor
- Polymer magazines
- Knee pads
- Anti-flash googles
- They carry more ammo, more equipment.

Sure they're pretty advanced than the army. Because they're a typical occupying force.

5- Artillery; They do carry various types of mortars, artillery weapons. During landings, they're usually delivered by either Sikorsky Seahawks or Eurocopter Cougars.

6- Armored battalion consists by T-155 Firtina howitzers and upgraded M-60 variants (but i've seen Leo 2A4s at EFES-2012) The Navy was to replace them with Leopard 2A4s but later cancelled it. They'll be replaced by Altay.

7- A part of the Amphibious Marines is currently deployed in Afghanistan. And they do have a FOB named Camp Barbarossa in Wardak Province. Most of the Patrol/Joint Patrol missions of Turkish Force in ISAF is done by amphibious marines.

8- They are attached under Turkish Army command in overseas deployments. (EX: Lebanon, Afghanistan, Kosovo)

@Targon

SAT&SAS Group Command is a SOF. Officially recognised as a Maritime Commando Force. Our Marines are a little different. Read the above part of my post. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
As we know, Turkey increase its number of military bases outside. So, is it not time to increase the number of "Amphibious Naval Infantry Brigade" also?

Amfibi komando birlikiklerin ekipmanları yenileniyor sanırım...

-HK33
-FN Minimi
-JNG 90
-Ops-Core???
-
-
1JpVgA.jpg
5DNLQR.jpg

z0GalB.jpg
YgdqWa.jpg
dOL8kL.jpg

Last edited:
Any news about there possible increasing of manpower?

Amfibi komando birlikiklerin ekipmanları yenileniyor sanırım...

-HK33
-FN Minimi
-JNG 90
-Ops-Core???
-
-
1JpVgA.jpg

5DNLQR.jpg
1JpVgA.jpg

z0GalB.jpg
YgdqWa.jpg
dOL8kL.jpg
Not Opscore. I cant remember the exact model of the helmet (trmilitary is closed) but possible MICH variant. Also not sure about if its regularly given or just for training as we see they have them for training in Isparta to.

Turkey is always rotating it's best units to where they are needed. Right now even SATs are in Afrin, tomorrow even JÖH(Jandarma special forces) can be used for amphibious landings.

few years ago our best tanks were stationed near the greek border, right now they are in afrin and our Greek border is much more lightly defended.

Do I like this? Not a bit.

I want a TAF that is strong everywhere. If it was up to me I would even upgrade the M48A5T2s to M60T standards. I want it so that every division is well-armed and capable.

few years ago our best tanks were stationed near the greek border, right now they are in afrin and our Greek border is much more lightly defended.

Do I like this? Not a bit.
Its not like Greece is gonna invade Turkey anytime soon.

Back
Top Bottom