What's new

Turkey's GDP up by 8.2

Absolutely true, but it is difficult in Turkey since we have many small farmers, instead of few big ones. That is also why meat and milk is so damn expensive in Turkey. We should make quotas so that only farmers who has 200+ cows or similar can receive money from the government.

Such a move would kill hundred-thousands of jobs and take away the basis of existence from them. These people would then be forced to work for a low salary for big landowner, with no other choice because all they can do is farming. Does that remind you of something? Thats exactly where Europe was a few centuries ago. Thats why people fought.

The government has to give micro-loans to those small farmers so they can get the machinery/chemicals they need. Those farmers also need some networking/cooperation. Instead of every farmer getting a tractor that you only need once in a while, why dont you cooperate with fellow farmers and share the costs and the machine?

A country is only as strong as its middle-class and while our GDP is growing the gap between the rich and the poor is growing.

What is turkeys main source of revenue?

Good question but need some profession to respond it. Those are What I just remember;

2009-2010 statics...
-2th country of the World in Construction sector
-8th country of the World in Building materials
-5th biggest country of the World in total merchant ship building
-3th producer of yachts-megayacht of the World
-The biggest Chemical tanker builder of Europe
-The 5th biggest steel producer of the World

-Turkey has 5-6 Truck/Bus/Midi-bus/Car producer institutes known world-wide. (BMC-OTOKAR-TEMSA-Karsan-Otosan-Tofas) along with serious subsystem suppliers to them. Many of them have pproduction plants in foreign countries as we.....

-Two biggest electronic and white-good company is racing between eachothers in foreign markets... (BEKO-VESTEL) (VESTEL is the sole computer mainboard producer institute of Europe)

-TAV is the airport construction institute establishing airports in Turkey an foreign countries as well.

-Really great names in clothing...
-28-30 million tourist in 2010.

Those are what I remembered at present...

Turkey seems has a serious trade deficit despite having so many industries. How they compensate this deficit? Tourism??

Economic growth by sectors
Sector.....................................3.Quarter/Total 9 Month

Agricuture.......................................... 4.5/5.3
Industry............................................. 8.4/10
Manufacturing...................................... 8.9/10.4
Employment.......................................... 9.8/ 10.4
Construction........................................ 10.6/12.7
Wholesale and retail.............................. 9.6/13.6
Transportation and Communication.......... 9.7/11.6
Financial intermediation............ .............15.8/13.1
House Ownership................................... 1.4/1.8
Education........................................... 7.8/5.5
Total in sectors.................................... 15.9/16.2

I know that industrialization might cause many of the smaller farmers to die out, but that doesn't have to be. If they are smarts they could redirect their investment into a different course and focus on maintaining an amount of breeding stock.

I knew some Tartars (ethnic group in Turkey) manual hard labourers (factory etc), who bought all industrial machinery from Denmark to run a chicken farm and the family moved to Turkey for a couple of years. They had a full time veterinary to handle diseases and such and they made a nice amount of money on this. After a few year (don't know how long) they sold it all off, and moved back to Denmark.

I think what they did was brilliant, required guts and commitment, and they probably got enough money out of that investment. I don't see why some farmers can't do something similar, instead of gambling everything on one horse aka putting all the eggs in the same basket.

Such a move would kill hundred-thousands of jobs and take away the basis of existence from them. These people would then be forced to work for a low salary for big landowner, with no other choice because all they can do is farming. Does that remind you of something? Thats exactly where Europe was a few centuries ago. Thats why people fought.

The government has to give micro-loans to those small farmers so they can get the machinery/chemicals they need. Those farmers also need some networking/cooperation. Instead of every farmer getting a tractor that you only need once in a while, why dont you cooperate with fellow farmers and share the costs and the machine?

A country is only as strong as its middle-class and while our GDP is growing the gap between the rich and the poor is growing.

Contrary to your belief such a move would drastically reduce massive waste in our land use and overall economy.
Let me illustrate it very simply to you.

GDP income by sector: agriculture: 9.4%; industry: 25.9%; services: 64.7% (2009 est.)

Labour force by occupation: agriculture: 29.5%, industry: 24.7%, services: 45.8%[8]

30% of our workforce is in the agriculture sector, yet the income coming from this sector is only 10%.

In every developed countries, labour force in agriculture is below 5 percent (Germany 2,4%, Spain 4.5%, Italy 4.2%).

Machines can do the work 100 more effective and efficient. But instead of using our labour force on Industry and Service, we waste massive energy on agriculture which could be easily done by machines.

hard working people, not oil or gas!

proud of my country, and countrymen!

You make it sound as if having natural resources is a sin >_>. I have been to Turkey many many times and Turkey has more industrial potential than us because it has good Industrial resources a lot of which we lack.

Congrats Turkey! Turkey is a hardworking country and deserves to be rewarded. They aren't blessed with natural resources unlike some other neighbouring countries but that didn't stop them from achieving a great economic growth.

You make it sound as if having natural resources is a sin >_>. I have been to Turkey many many times and Turkey has more industrial potential than us because it has good Industrial resources a lot of which we lack.

what i'm trying to say is that we work hard to get where we want, not like Qatar or Bahrain. we're not blessed with oil... we had to struggle to come to where we are today. we didn't have a big brother (USA) to help us... we're not part of the EU yet we have one of the fastest growing economies in the earth and all that without a single barrel of oil or gas.

even Iran is somewhat dependent on oil. yes Saudi probably lacks industrial capabilities, but isn't it you who says it will change! :)

what i'm trying to say is that we work hard to get where we want, not like Qatar or Bahrain. we're not blessed with oil... we had to struggle to come to where we are today. we didn't have a big brother (USA) to help us... we're not part of the EU yet we have one of the fastest growing economies in the earth and all that without a single barrel of oil or gas.

even Iran is somewhat dependent on oil. yes Saudi probably lacks industrial capabilities, but isn't it you who says it will change! :)

You see a long time ago, a time only long because people choose to forget about it as if it was ancient. But a time as soon as my Father when he was young and his father before him, Saudis could not find enough food to eat let alone feed their families. My grandfather went all the way to Syria to work farms there and make enough money to feed his family back home and he died while my father was 15 and my father then had to work 2 jobs as well as go to school to support his mother and sisters this was not a long time ago my friend. KSA does not have enough water to grow farms, it was only a generation ago that our people got Education and learned how to read and write.

You see it is a very long time ago for the rest of the world. But for us we still remember those days they were not very far from this time. People expect too much out of us and they fail to take these simple things into consideration they forget that yes we at one time had to go to other countries to feed our families too back home. Hell a university only opened 6 years ago in my city it is the first in my area and we are already trying to do world-class research on it. Again the entire world expects too much out of us and believe that Saudis are "Lazy, oil blessed, fat people they have always been this way and will always be this way" but they fail to even look behind a couple of years.

In google news it sometimes bring old articles from the 50s and the 60s if you read one of them you will understand a lot. I read one and I really felt petty for our past. American Health inspectors described the situation in KSA as a famine hit place with poor education and a high fetal mortality rate due to insufficient health care. an interesting note in the article in the end it says "They are fortunate to have discovered oil in their land because the revenues from it will help put a stop to the crisis in this area" Now however we are called Lazy bastards who do not even have brains for an Industry but we have a huge history of hard work and I think we were just relaxing for a Generation because the next generation is tired as hell from this stereotype and is working hands and feet to change it.

---------- Post added at 01:24 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:23 AM ----------

Congrats Turkey! Turkey is a hardworking country and deserves to be rewarded. They aren't blessed with natural resources unlike some other neighbouring countries but that didn't stop them from achieving a great economic growth.

This is what I mean. Comments like these.

Back
Top Bottom