What's new

Top 10 Best Cities In The World

new wave

BANNED
Reaction score
Top 10 Best Cities In The World | Windows On The World

1. London

Yes, feel free to call me biased, I don’t give a ****. What makes London the best? Well, a combination of factors obviously, from the history, architecture through to the shopping, museums and restaurants. People love to make uninformed jokes about the food in England but London has far more Michelin stars than New York and just as many as Paris. Historically the seat of power for the most dominant empire ever, all things went through London and to this day it is still the center of the world. The number 1 tourist destination in the world deserves it’s reputation, it really sets the standard. On the negative side, it is the most expensive city in the world so be prepared to shell out big piles of cash. It isn’t enough to detract from the great things about London though, London continues to attract everyone from Australian backpackers to Russian billionaires. Oh, and it’s the home of Chelsea Football Club

The good: Architecture, history, shopping, tradition, culture, diversity

The bad: Very expensive, traffic can be bad, it rains a lot

Conclusion: Arguably the most important city of all time, I consider it to be the best the world has to offer. A perfect mix of culture and tradition with world famous landmarks and the charm of merry old England. Did I mention it’s the home of Chelsea Football Club?

One of my favourite pictures, the beating heart of London

2. Tokyo

I have to contain myself here with my effusive praise for Tokyo. It’s well documented that I consider Tokyo a near perfect place so I guess it’s more efficient to talk about why it’s number 2 and not number 1. The Tokyo-Yokohama metropolis is the largest urban sprawl in the world, containing some 35 million people, and at times it seems about half of them are trying to get to the same place at the same time. As amazing as the Tokyo Metro is, sometimes you just don’t want to even attempt to get anywhere. Secondly, everyone knows Tokyo has amazing seafood, all of Japan does. But if you’re not crazy about seafood, like me, it can sometimes be a struggle to find good food to eat. When I took my parents we found ourselves eating at McDonalds far too often. Not being able to speak Japanese is a major handicap, sometimes you can’t work out what you want to eat just from the plastic food in the window…. I spoke about most of the things here in my article, 10 Things I miss about Japan

The good: Spotlessly clean, efficient, great service, a world of choices, extremely safe

The bad: Can be too crowded, very expensive, small hotel rooms, tiny clothes, must like seafood

Conclusion: The only thing keeping Tokyo off the number 1 spot is the crowded nature of the city. At times you feel lost in the world’s biggest crowd. Although this is a nice novelty from time to time, after a short while it becomes annoying. Tokyo is a magnificent place though, I could go back every 6 months and be happy, I’d never get bored of it

The Ginza in Tokyo, world capital of consumer culture

3. New York

The city that never sleeps, as they say. Well, maybe, but Tokyo and Hong Kong have much more going on at night. Still, New York has that intangible quality that only the top 3 possess. Just walking around you know you’re somewhere unique. The atmosphere is unlike anywhere else in the world. One of the most diverse, cosmopolitan cities in the world as well as being a financial juggernaut the locals are rightly proud of NY, NY. Not the most aesthetically pleasing of places, it makes up for it with a certain buzz. you accept the dirt and rubbish with the notion that everybody is too busy doing something more important. So why is it number 3? Well, there are two other cities that do everything New York does, but better and with more history

The good: Unique atmosphere, energy, fantastic museums, shopping and nightlife

The bad: Poor transport, quite an ugly city, abrasive locals

Conclusion: The top 3 on my list are also the 3 most important cities in the world. New York sits in third place due to a lack of historical depth, mundane architecture and poor transport network. It ranks highly in terms of culture, restaurants, nightlife and atmosphere

I have such a thing for big buildings....

4. Paris

The most romantic city in the world? Definitely, but there is so much more to Paris. Aside from being the fashion capital of the world, home to the finest art museum and stunning architecture, Paris has an atmosphere like no other. Speaking of the Louvre, it’s actually so massive you may need a week just to see most of it. The capital of one of history’s most permeating cultures is filled with class and grandeur, just take a walk around the George V if you need further proof or stay if you can afford it. There is so much about Paris but what keeps it out of the top 3 is the populous. Parisians have an atrocious reputation, even other French people consider them rude and that’s like Genghis Khan calling you up to call you a real dick

The good: The Eiffel Tower, The Louvre, cafe culture, romance, architecture, history

The bad: Snobby Parisians, arrogant Parisians, English hating Parisians

Conclusion: As fruity as this sounds, Paris is a magical place. Be a real Parisian and spend your day floating from cafe to cafe, drinking espresso, smoking unfiltered cigarettes and pounding the red wine, while discussing the meaning of existence in an existential manner. Then go and display your hatred of English and American tourists

Snobby, arrogant and they hate the English

5. Hong Kong

So we’re into the top 5, and beginning the descent towards glory is Hong Kong. The key sight in Hong Kong is arguably the most beautiful man made vista in the world, as you stand on the kowloon side of the river and gaze at the Island, particularly stunning at night. I spent about an hour here the first time I came, sat down and enjoyed a cigar while I did some people watching. The view tells you everything you need to know about Hong Kong. This isn’t a place for lovers of history, this is a testament to modern civilization and capitalism. I’m a big fan of both so the whole city kind of turns me on. Locals dedicate their lives to making as much money as possible, so they can shop and drink to their hearts’ content and boy does it show. Bars here don’t really have business hours, people will be in there pretty much all day. As congested as the city is, everything runs so smoothly getting around really isn’t much of a challenge. the only reason Hong Kong doesn’t place higher is due to a lack of historical buildings and architecture

The good: Transport, shopping, nightlife, the attitude of the people

The bad: Lacks diversity at times, Island establishments are expensive

Conclusion: If in the future, cities all look like this I would be very pleased. Going out in Hong Kong is unique, there’s always something new to do and see. If only there were more remnants of the traditional lifestyle

Is it wrong to be turned on by buildings?

6. Rome

No city has as much historical and architectural prestige as Rome does. The Colosseum, the Pantheon and of course, Vatican City. Although not technically part of Rome, the Vatican is inextricably linked to the city. Forget the representation you saw in Angels & Demons and examine the magnificence for yourself. Rome has the benefit of good weather, more so than London and Paris anyway, so local businesses take advantage by using the outdoors as much as possible. It is that classic European city where you walk through endless small streets and alleys, stopping all along the way. Don’t wander for too long though, the museums here hold some of the finest sights in the world so be sure to dedicate enough time for that

The good: A wealth of history and architecture, fantastic museums, Italian fashion

The bad: Expensive, tourist sites get crowded, not as much to see as other capitals

Conclusion: The Roman Empire left a plethora of treasures and a permanent mark on Italian culture and design. Along with the Vatican, Rome has much to offer all types of visitors. Often overlooked in favour of Paris and London it’s well worth the time and effort

Hmm... Religious buildings are doing quite well on my list

7. Singapore

This is a strange place. It has been described as ‘The world’s largest shopping mall’ and ‘Disneyland with the death penalty’. Both of these are pretty accurate but somehow the system really, really works well for them. A frighteningly clean and orderly place, Singapore is the model Asian city on the surface, with it’s immaculate workforce and ruthless efficiency. Come nightfall, the population lets loose in legendary fashion and Singapore suddenly becomes a sanitised version of Gomorrah, minus the sodomy, which is illegal. Bars here tend to open a little later than I like, by 3pm you should already be on your way not waiting for the place to open, and even when they do drinks are expensive. Singapore overcomes these obstacles though, and has some of the best clubs in the world, Zouk and Ministry of Sound officially have been named as the best. Combine the nightlife with world class shopping, some of the best food in the world, fantastic hotels and the best service I’ve ever experienced, Singapore is an amazing place

The good: Insane nightlife, service, very safe, easy to get around, culinary hotspot

The bad: Expensive drinks, bars open later than expected, the feeling that you’re going to break some obscure law and get in trouble

Conclusion: As small as Singapore is, there is a lot to do and see. You can spend a lot of time here just enjoying living life like a local, or trying to find the perfect Chicken Rice. Be sure to visit the micro breweries and explore the colonial past of this city. Save yourself the trouble and don’t order a Singapore Sling from Raffles, it’s not that great and the whole experience feels tacky

View from my room at the Mandarin Oriental, Singapore

8. Barcelona

The lowest ranked European city on the list, but I think that’s fair. There is an awful lot to see in Barcelona, aside from the architecture and history you have the fascinating back story of the Catalonia region. Walk around to enjoy the beauty of Gaudi in the Gothic Quarter and be sure to visit some of the museums, especially Cosmocaixa. The Sagrada Familia Church may be the landmark of most historic value but without a doubt, the Camp Nou is the one most important to the people. FC Barcelona is more than a football team, it represents the struggle of a people and happens to be one of the most successful sports teams ever. Visiting the Camp Nou is like a pilgrimage for all football fans. I was here to watch ‘El Classico’ which is Barcelona vs. Real Madrid, and the biggest rivalry in sports. The atmosphere was pant-shittingly loud and something I’ll never forget. More recently, Barcelona has also become the culinary capital of Europe, with the continents most exciting chefs plying their trade in the city

The good: Architecture, Gaudi, museums, the Camp Nou, nightlife, restaurants

The bad: Barcelona are actually so ******* good everybody walks around with a smug look on their face. As a Chelsea fan, I am not amused

Conclusion: I have always preferred Barcelona over Madrid, the atmosphere in the city is just so relaxing with it’s plethora of street cafes and outdoor restaurants. Few cities can compare to the architectural delights of Barcelona

When religion looks this good, atheism isn't so easy

9. Miami

The undisputed party city of Florida and one of the most (in)famous places in the world. From Miami Vice to a questionable Will Smith number, everyone in the world knows about Miami. What makes it a great city? Great bars, stunning people and the overall atmosphere that this is a really fun place to be. A huge South American and Cuban influence gives Miami a sort of cosmopolitan, European vibe which really makes it stand out from the monotony of South Florida. Ocean Drive is a legendary bar crawl area with great shopping so it’s one of my favourite places to hang out in the city. For the more adventurous types there are some big clubs where you can drink and attempt to dance the night away. Although I usually warm up with a bar crawl, so by the time we head to the clubs my main priority is not falling over

The good: Ocean Drive, Bayside, world class shopping and nightlife, the Versace Mansion

The bad: Extremely rough areas, crime, popular places can get incredibly busy

Conclusion: A world famous party city, Miami is such a great city to go out and enjoy yourself in. It’s let down by a congested highway system and some areas that you just don’t want to find yourself in. Ever. Oh, and being able to speak Spanish is often required. I don’t, although with my skin tone I get approached a lot by people and can’t respond very well. Anything that makes me feel stupid is a negative on that city

The Miami Skyline at night

10. Shanghai

China’s largest, most modern city and historically it’s most open and western friendly. There was a large influx of Russian and French immigrants and the influence can be seen to this day. The beautiful French Concession is an oasis in such a massive city. Shanghai is the perfect starting point on a tour of China and strikes a good balance between the traditional Chinese cityscape and the fierce development of China’s tiger economy. The Bund is a particular highlight, a promenade along the banks of the Huangpu River showcasing a wide variety of architectural styles and the European influence on this city. From here you can walk to Nanjing Road, one of the world’s busiest pedestrian streets and a real symbol of modern China. Oh, and I ate at Hooters, where the girls do the YMCA every hour wearing cowboy hats and they will sell me a bottle of Bacardi for $25. It was about halfway through that bottle I realised I bloody love Shanghai

The good: The Bund, Nanjing Road, French Concession, shopping, accessibility, cheap transport

The bad: Not as developed as other Asian cities, poor air quality, confusing subway

Conclusion: A great place to start in China with a good mix of Chinese tradition and modern western culture. Pound the pavements then relax in a Hooters perhaps? See the best of contemporary Chinese architecture and culture

I am hidden somewhere in this picture... $10 if you can find me

I say the dude with the red hat. Or the guy to the right with the black shirt and sunglasses.

new wave how can we find you, if you dont give us some hints, eg this.................., sh1t hell, how can we find you without knowing you.

but i would bet for the most prominent guy in the far right of the pic or the guy who is facing the camera, he is just present below the twine chinese flag pole!

(if the poster has written the original article)

but i fully diagree london cant be number one

Last edited:
Come on, you guys will never made it as a detective, just a little observation at the picture, there is only one person that was looking at the camera, is that pretty obvious ? :D:azn:

Come on, you guys will never made it as a detective, just a little observation at the picture, there is only one person that was looking at the camera, is that pretty obvious ? :D:azn:

so i win??? yes??

new wave how can we find you, if you dont give us some hints, eg this.................., sh1t hell, how can we find you without knowing you.

but i would bet for the most prominent guy in the far right of the pic or the guy who is facing the camera, he is just present below the twine chinese flag pole!

(if the poster has written the original article)

but i fully diagree london cant be number one

Conclusion: A great place to start in China with a good mix of Chinese tradition and modern western culture. Pound the pavements then relax in a Hooters perhaps? See the best of contemporary Chinese architecture and culture

I am hidden somewhere in this picture... $10 if you can find me

Bloody easy, the guy in the blue & white shirt under the Red Chinese Flag standing upright staring at the camera.

:china:

Now how will you transfer $10 into my account, and don't say 419. :)

I also like to add, this list of "top 10 cities" is :bunny:

Besides Shanghai, Tokyo and HK, the other cities would be fortunate to make it into the top 100 best cities of the world. Dude, there's so many MUCH BETTER cities. :oops:

Yeah, sure, thats why your PM been dreaming mumbai will surpass shanghai in 5 years dated back in 2006, now its 2010,what happen?

Covering Asia The Future of Mumbai

490065705_e8f1a6ae27.jpg

Dream on, my friend, may be another century ?:D

the big city can't be ur best city. i think the city where u feel comfort, is the best city for u. i live in new delhi since 7 year, it's a big & good city, every thing is available here but i never feel comfort here. i feel comfort only in my hometown.

Back
Top Bottom