What's new

The Flying Coffin Syndrome

Windjammer

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
The following article is from late 80s when the IAF was suffering alarming rate of crashes mainly involving the MIG series aircraft, it gives an introspect of the problem that was behind the disaster which earned MIG-21 the terminology of the flying coffin.

Last edited:
Even Mr. Ayaz Khan had a habit like you- always bothering about what is happening in India. Send him the link of 'Air crash notification' thread of Pakistan defence forum. Perhaps he will gift you an article on Mirage III. Do not forget to read the thread yourself first.

Even Mr. Ayaz Khan had a habit like you- always bothering about what is happening in India. Send him the link of 'Air crash notification' thread of Pakistan defence forum. Perhaps he will gift you an article on Mirage III. Do not forget to read the thread yourself first.

Albeit you seem a dedicated follower of me and Ayaz Ahmed, but
what's your contribution here except trolling.

your whole thread is a troll.........for the same thing has been discussed so many times. Still you are not bored of it. My contribution is to remind you that there are other models too which can get 'flying coffin' title.

Its discussed more times than the Russians produced the migs.

your whole thread is a troll.........for the same thing has been discussed so many times. Still you are not bored of it. My contribution is to remind you that there are other models too which can get 'flying coffin' title.

I certainly haven't come across this genuine article since joining the forum, members may have used assumptions or assertions but nothing to introspect. As for other models are concerned, that indeed is a possibility albeit in this day and age it wouldn't be easy to sweep it under the rug.

Those 'flying coffins' can dish out a licking according to US airforce pilots.

I certainly haven't come across this genuine article since joining the forum, members may have used assumptions or assertions but nothing to introspect. As for other models are concerned, that indeed is a possibility albeit in this day and age it wouldn't be easy to sweep it under the rug.
Ok...no prob.....indeed it is a good article.....

but about other models....see yourself ....

2006 (from April, starting of thread)

1) 6th April F-7 crashed near Attock, Pilot killed

2)20th April Mirage crashed near Karachi

3)19th May Mirage crashed near Karachi

4) 1st Sep F-7 crahed, Pilot killed

5)20th Oct Mirage crashed near Dera Ismail Khan

6) 22nd December Mirage crashed near Karachi

1)1st January -Mirage crashed near Jhang

2)7th February-Mirage crashed in East Punjab

3)15th February –F-7 crashed near Karachi

4)13th March-F-7 crashed near Quetta, Pilot killed

5)25th April-Mirage crashed in Punjab Province

6)8th Jun FT-6 crashed near peshwar

7)5th Sep-F-7 crashed near Quetta, Pilot killed

8)15th December-F-7 crashed near Faisalabad

1)15th February-Mirage crashed in East Punjab, Pilot killed

2)18th March-Mirage crashed near Rajanpur

3)17th April-F-7 crashed near Faisalabad

4)11th June-T-37 crashed near Mandan, Pilot killed

5)21st June-F-7 crashed near Faisalabad

6)10th july –T-37 crashed near Malakand

7)13th August-Mashaq crashed in East Punjab, Pilot killed

8)9th October-F-7 crashed near Sargoda

1)29th May-F-7 crashed near Kandiyan

2)17th July-F-16 crashed near Sargoda, Pilot killed

3)5th August-F-7 crashed near Attock, Pilot killed

4)12th September-Mashak crashed near Gujranwala, pilot killed

5)16th December-Mirage crashed near Kalar Kahar

Source: PDF..Aircrash notification thread

from india daily
mig-29-crash_60.gif

Imran exactly bang on target. Indians take notice of there problems. Please tell it to Mr Khan too..... :)

^^^^^^^^

Do you even know what does the term "Flying Coffin" indicates.

By giving a break down of PAF crashes over several years, what are you trying to prove. This is typical of any airforce around the world.
In modern history, only the MIG-21 in the IAF service has earned the depressing title of the flying coffin.
Here is another example of the depressing trend.
HAL has so far produced close to 100 Jaguars. Of the 17 Jaguar trainers, all equipped to DARIN II standard, 8 aircraft have been delivered to IAF. The remaining 9 will be produced within this financial year. In 25 years of its service IAF may have lost over 35 Jaguar aircraft. A DS aircraft was the first to be lost due to bird hit on one engine. Unlike the HF-24, the break up of the engine damaged the other engine as well forcing the pilot to bail out. Losses have been due to bird hits, pilot error, engine failures after debris ingestion and disorientation at night. Unconfirmed press reports indicate that IAF may order twenty more strike fighters.
Remember the Jaguar is a twin engine aircraft and has never seen any action in the IAF.

There is absolutely nothing to be ashamed of indian members and russian member, "The Flying Coffins" name is not awarded by Pakistan but by the west first later followed by Asian Air Forces called it by that name.
All the crashed iaf mig 21s are not solely that the aircraft was technically faulty but by pilot errors as well both technical problems as well as pilot errors has caused so many record crashed of migs in iaf. I am surprised why are indian members so pissed off about "flying coffin" the name awarded in aviation history can't be changed its there forever no matter how people protest or rant. u-2 was shot down by russians still americans don't rant about it that it was a technical fault or blah blah. Learn to live with it.
good or bad records in aviation history one of unfortunate bad records is the highest crashes in iaf of migs and specially mig-21s.

I have nothing to object with the term 'Flying Coffin' ....as it helped to open the eyes of our Babus and they felt the need to modernise the airforce. Indian media too frequently uses it. My point is some people has the habit to make noise to problem of other people when similar problem exists in there country too.

I have nothing to object with the term 'Flying Coffin' ....as it helped to open the eyes of our Babus and they felt the need to modernise the airforce. Indian media too frequently uses it. My point is some people has the habit to make noise to problem of other people when similar problem exists in there country too.

Touch wood nothing to that effect as yet and more over no records of any PAF aircraft being grounded with safety fears.
It's somewhat ironic that even the late 40s era T-33s are sometimes pressed into second line service.

Back
Top Bottom