What's new

The extremist majority

Dance

Reaction score
Pakistan’s descent into religious extremism and fanaticism is deeper than any moderate had imagined. Only a hard line against those inciting and condoning violence in the name of religion will provide any hope.

Two weeks before his assassination, my father-in-law, Governor Salmaan Taseer, tweeted: “Covered in the righteous cloak of religion even a puny dwarf imagines himself a monster. Important to face [religious leaders]. And call their bluff”.
The aftermath of his murder has exposed, in stark terms, where public opinion lies — on the side of anarchic, cold-blooded murder, in the name of religion and without any recourse to the law. Many of our learned lawyers are also on the side of chaos and the law of the jungle, as are a number of students, talk show hosts and others who are supposedly part of the progressive elite (though, of course, there are a number who are not).

As the drumbeats continue in support of Qadri, a premeditated murderer by his own admission, I sit in a combination of grave concern and deep sadness about the future of Pakistan. Until this event, I was certain that the vast majority of our population was moderate and abhorred acts of violence. I felt that, despite some bad years, Pakistan would move forward as a progressive Muslim country, influenced by a free press, the internet age and a common desire for economic betterment. I had envisaged that my wife and I would spend an increasing amount of time there as we aged and our children moved into universities and careers.

Everything has changed. I’ve suddenly realised where moderates and liberals lie in Pakistan — in an ivory tower, with pen and paper and surrounded by only their own kind. What are the numbers? A few thousand at best, in a country of well over 170 million people. Terrorists have murdered thousands of Muslims in mosques, in the markets and in the streets, yet there is little public outcry. But if it’s an amendment to the blasphemy law — largely designed by Ziaul Haq and given more teeth by Nawaz Sharif — that’s worth killing over and tens of thousands will march in the streets.
There is no moderate majority in Pakistan. The large majority of Pakistanis are poor, living from meal to meal and focussed (understandably) mostly on their survival. This makes them particularly vulnerable to exploitation by irresponsible and ambitious maulvis. The majority have been brainwashed by clerics into believing that one word against their radical interpretation of Islam is a one-way ticket to Hell, whereas dying for the cause of Islam (even through killing innocent Muslims, as has been happening in Pakistan) is an immediate entry to Heaven. And many educated political leaders and professionals have decided that they will join the winning team.
Not only are acts of violence against innocents condoned, but those on the side of reason and moderation are told that they must not open their mouths. Religious leaders can issue fatwas at will, decide who they want dead with a price on their heads, and finance acts of violence and terrorism openly. But if any moderate speaks up against them, they deserve to die. Religious leaders jealously guard their monopoly on violence and also their exclusive right to free speech. They have realised that if one of theirs can openly murder a sitting governor, one of Pakistan’s best known politicians, without potentially any recourse, theirs will be the power and the glory.

If Pakistan is to stand a chance, someone with real power in Pakistan needs to take on the religious leaders. They need to have those who incited Salmaan Taseer’s murder arrested. They must prosecute maulvis who issue murderous fatwas. Any religious leader inciting hatred against others, or encouraging acts of terrorism or violence, should be chased to the full extent of the law, not hold the rest of us hostage. And, of course, the likes of Qadri should be dealt with swiftly and appropriately. Once those guilty of this behaviour are taken to task, the common man will begin to better differentiate right from wrong. Without civility and law and order, we certainly don’t stand a chance.
Published in The Express Tribune, February 5th, 2011.

http://tribune.com.pk/story/114168/the-extremist-majority/

Last edited:
Persecution of minorities

SO it has come to this. Reading about Sherry Rehman’s decision to drop her attempt to amend Pakistan’s controversial blasphemy laws, I had three quick thoughts.

First, hats off to a very brave woman. Second, shame on a government and country which cannot protect its minorities from human rights abuses, violence and extremism. Third, forget criticism from Pakistan and other Muslim countries of so-called ‘Islamophobia’ in Europe and America: people in glass houses should not throw stones at others.

Being part of a minority is not easy in any part of the world. History is replete with horrifying examples of persecution of minorities, from the Inquisition to the Holocaust to the ethnic cleansing in Bosnia and Rwanda. But I never expected the country I was born in to turn into this sad land of intolerance and ignorance.

Growing up in Pakistan all those years ago, I was taught that the constitution protected Muslims and that the white strip on the Pakistan flag represented Pakistan’s minorities. We lived in a vibrant, diverse multi-cultural community. Like many women my age, I was taught by Christian teachers, brought up by Hindu ayahs and learned ballet from exquisite Parsi ballet dancers. But times have changed, tolerance and accommodation, the concept of ‘live and let live’ have given way to persecution and discrimination.

Pakistan is not alone in treating its minorities as second-class citizens. Across the Muslim world today, being a Christian means at best being subject to hostility and discrimination and in the worst case, facing the death sentence. What I find particularly galling is that the countries — Egypt, Saudi Arabia, Pakistan for example — which mete out the harshest treatment to their Christian communities are the most vocal when it comes to denouncing ‘Islamophobia’ in Europe and the US. Frankly, I am getting fed up with such accusations.

Having kept a very close eye on Europe’s 20 million-strong Muslim communities over the last 10 years, I can safely say: yes, it has been a challenging decade for European Muslims but most would agree that it is better to be a Muslim in Europe than a Christian (or a Hindu) in a Muslim country.

There is no doubt that the 9/11 terrorist attacks, followed by the publication of caricatures of the Prophet (PBUH) by several European newspapers, the murder of Dutch filmmaker Theo Van Gogh, as well as subsequent real and suspected terrorist activity in Europe, have resulted in increased suspicion, surveillance and stigmatisation of Europe’s Muslim communities.

Most European governments have enacted tough new anti-terrorist legislation. Populist parties, using a simple anti-foreigner/anti-Islam rhetoric, have gained more influence and power in many EU countries. Mainstream politicians have adopted an equally strident anti-Islam and anti-Muslim narrative to win votes and improve their ratings in opinion polls.

The discussion on integration has been further muddied by rising European concerns about the arrival of refugees and asylum-seekers. In the process, journalistic ethics have suffered, with few journalists ready to challenge prejudice, clichés and misleading reports. Undoubtedly, Europe’s commitment to core values, including human rights, freedom of expression and freedom of religion, has taken a blow.

In addition, Europe’s post 9/11 attitudes towards Islam are linked to security concerns and fears of radicalisation of the continent’s Muslims but also reflect uncertainty about European identity. Making matters worse, an uncertain economic climate in many European countries as well as the presence of weak leaders unable to ease public anxieties about globalisation and unemployment have made it easier for populist politicians to spread a simple albeit toxic xenophobic message: the West is headed for a clash with Islam and Muslims.

However, this is only part of the story. Despite the anxiety about the visible presence of Islam and Muslims in the public space, the last 10 years have also been marked by transition and change in the lives of European Muslims.

The spotlight on European Muslims has had a positive effect by helping Muslims and host communities confront difficult issues of integration and multiple identities which had been neglected and overlooked over decades.

Governments are slowly combining a security-focused prism with a more balanced approach which includes an integration agenda and Muslim outreach programmes. Government and business recruitment policies are being changed gradually to increase the employment of Muslims and minorities. Business leaders are demanding an increase in immigration, including from Muslim countries, to meet Europe’s skills shortage. The EU has adopted a new anti-discrimination directive in the new Lisbon Treaty which strengthens existing rules on combating racism.

Significantly, European Muslims are becoming more active in demanding equal rights as full-fledged citizens, organising themselves into pressure groups, and emerging as influential politicians, entrepreneurs and cultural and sports icons. Ten years after 9/11, the challenge for European governments and European Muslims is to hammer out a fresh narrative which looks at European Muslims as active and full-fledged citizens rather than as exotic foreigners.

Despite German Chancellor Angela Merkel’s comments on the failure of multiculturalism in Europe, the continent today is a vibrant mix of people, cultures and religions. Integration and mainstreaming is taking place and there is slow but steady recognition that all Europeans, whatever their religion, ethnic origins and cultural background, share a common space.

More time and hard work will be needed before Europeans elect their own Barack Obama and readily embrace and celebrate diversity. But work on such a goal has begun.

My advice to Muslim governments is simple: stop ranting against the West, take a few lessons in citizenship and minority rights from Europe and America and start listening to all your citizens, not just the small number of extremists which carry guns.

The writer is Dawn’s correspondent in Brussels.

http://www.dawn.com/2011/02/05/persecution-of-minorities.html

here we go again.......... the weapon of minority abuse frequently used by western media and well managed by our illeterate people...

Persecution of minorities

SO it has come to this. Reading about Sherry Rehman’s decision to drop her attempt to amend Pakistan’s controversial blasphemy laws, I had three quick thoughts.

First, hats off to a very brave woman. Second, shame on a government and country which cannot protect its minorities from human rights abuses, violence and extremism. Third, forget criticism from Pakistan and other Muslim countries of so-called ‘Islamophobia’ in Europe and America: people in glass houses should not throw stones at others.

Being part of a minority is not easy in any part of the world. History is replete with horrifying examples of persecution of minorities, from the Inquisition to the Holocaust to the ethnic cleansing in Bosnia and Rwanda. But I never expected the country I was born in to turn into this sad land of intolerance and ignorance.

Growing up in Pakistan all those years ago, I was taught that the constitution protected Muslims and that the white strip on the Pakistan flag represented Pakistan’s minorities. We lived in a vibrant, diverse multi-cultural community. Like many women my age, I was taught by Christian teachers, brought up by Hindu ayahs and learned ballet from exquisite Parsi ballet dancers. But times have changed, tolerance and accommodation, the concept of ‘live and let live’ have given way to persecution and discrimination.

Pakistan is not alone in treating its minorities as second-class citizens. Across the Muslim world today, being a Christian means at best being subject to hostility and discrimination and in the worst case, facing the death sentence. What I find particularly galling is that the countries — Egypt, Saudi Arabia, Pakistan for example — which mete out the harshest treatment to their Christian communities are the most vocal when it comes to denouncing ‘Islamophobia’ in Europe and the US. Frankly, I am getting fed up with such accusations.

Having kept a very close eye on Europe’s 20 million-strong Muslim communities over the last 10 years, I can safely say: yes, it has been a challenging decade for European Muslims but most would agree that it is better to be a Muslim in Europe than a Christian (or a Hindu) in a Muslim country.

There is no doubt that the 9/11 terrorist attacks, followed by the publication of caricatures of the Prophet (PBUH) by several European newspapers, the murder of Dutch filmmaker Theo Van Gogh, as well as subsequent real and suspected terrorist activity in Europe, have resulted in increased suspicion, surveillance and stigmatisation of Europe’s Muslim communities.

Most European governments have enacted tough new anti-terrorist legislation. Populist parties, using a simple anti-foreigner/anti-Islam rhetoric, have gained more influence and power in many EU countries. Mainstream politicians have adopted an equally strident anti-Islam and anti-Muslim narrative to win votes and improve their ratings in opinion polls.

The discussion on integration has been further muddied by rising European concerns about the arrival of refugees and asylum-seekers. In the process, journalistic ethics have suffered, with few journalists ready to challenge prejudice, clichés and misleading reports. Undoubtedly, Europe’s commitment to core values, including human rights, freedom of expression and freedom of religion, has taken a blow.

In addition, Europe’s post 9/11 attitudes towards Islam are linked to security concerns and fears of radicalisation of the continent’s Muslims but also reflect uncertainty about European identity. Making matters worse, an uncertain economic climate in many European countries as well as the presence of weak leaders unable to ease public anxieties about globalisation and unemployment have made it easier for populist politicians to spread a simple albeit toxic xenophobic message: the West is headed for a clash with Islam and Muslims.

However, this is only part of the story. Despite the anxiety about the visible presence of Islam and Muslims in the public space, the last 10 years have also been marked by transition and change in the lives of European Muslims.

The spotlight on European Muslims has had a positive effect by helping Muslims and host communities confront difficult issues of integration and multiple identities which had been neglected and overlooked over decades.

Governments are slowly combining a security-focused prism with a more balanced approach which includes an integration agenda and Muslim outreach programmes. Government and business recruitment policies are being changed gradually to increase the employment of Muslims and minorities. Business leaders are demanding an increase in immigration, including from Muslim countries, to meet Europe’s skills shortage. The EU has adopted a new anti-discrimination directive in the new Lisbon Treaty which strengthens existing rules on combating racism.

Significantly, European Muslims are becoming more active in demanding equal rights as full-fledged citizens, organising themselves into pressure groups, and emerging as influential politicians, entrepreneurs and cultural and sports icons. Ten years after 9/11, the challenge for European governments and European Muslims is to hammer out a fresh narrative which looks at European Muslims as active and full-fledged citizens rather than as exotic foreigners.

Despite German Chancellor Angela Merkel’s comments on the failure of multiculturalism in Europe, the continent today is a vibrant mix of people, cultures and religions. Integration and mainstreaming is taking place and there is slow but steady recognition that all Europeans, whatever their religion, ethnic origins and cultural background, share a common space.

More time and hard work will be needed before Europeans elect their own Barack Obama and readily embrace and celebrate diversity. But work on such a goal has begun.

My advice to Muslim governments is simple: stop ranting against the West, take a few lessons in citizenship and minority rights from Europe and America and start listening to all your citizens, not just the small number of extremists which carry guns.

The writer is Dawn’s correspondent in Brussels.

Persecution of minorities | DAWN.COM | Latest news, Breaking news, Pakistan News, World news, business, sport and multimedia

@ dance. nice article u have presented. religious extremism is kiling both our countries. i was moved by the genuinity of the article.

Thank you for posting these articles. I see that the "Pakistani" reaction is immediate denial. I know that "American Eagle" is in no way you, "Dance". To make such suggestions shows the inability of those who support intolerance in Pakistani society to make any intelligent defense. Dance, your position of dissent is a very lonely one, I fear. I am thankful to you for your personal courage, but very, very sad, indeed, for Pakistan. Pakistan Zindabad! is a great slogan. BUT, only if it is a Pakistan for all of its citizens, without fear or favor.

Totally agreed. Extremists are retarded for no reason killings.

Pakistan needs a change of government, pakistanis should elect Imran khan as PM, he would definately lift the country up.

Pakistan needs a change of government, pakistanis should elect Imran khan as PM, he would definately lift the country up.

When you say Imran Khan you dont mean the Cricket guy right? Like why?

Do you think that guy can run a whole country, especially a tough nation like Pakistan?

@liquid: he is a cricketer turned politician, i have read many of his interviews, he is good and maybe he is the only politician in pakistan outside america's influence.

sir
har politician acha hai JAB tak k unko power na mile (seat)

here we go again.......... the weapon of minority abuse frequently used by western media and well managed by our illeterate people...

Until and unless we accept that we have a problem and minority is feeling alienation in their own country, there is no cure.

Are you in contact with some Pakistani Non Muslim right now? If you are then perhaps you will be able to understand that they are indeed in trouble. It is easy to say this as a Muslim that why should we care , we are in majority but if you imagine yourself in their place perhaps you will realize that our certain acts are troubling them. There is no mass scale persecution but the fact still remains the same that laws for the protection of minorities are not adequate in our country. That's what the writer is implying.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom