What's new

The day when Indian-Gandhi became British Soldier

FaujHistorian

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Not many people in our region know that Gandhi Ji volunteered to become a soldier in the Gora (British) army.

Which may seems like a dichotomy or perhaps a character flaw or even hypocrisy.

But I think Gandhi was a shrewd politicians who used his position to propagate ideas that sometimes perhaps clashed within themselves.

One such clash occurred when he went to British and begged to join the army during early part of 1900s (around WW-1 period)

while he was ardent champion of non-violence before and after that.

So let's have a say.

let's ask some questions.

1. Do you know this interesting point of the history?
2. Have you ever wondered why did he do it?

peace

p.s. I used the term Indian-Gandhi to differentiate him from Frontier-Gandhi aka Bacha Khan aka Khan abudul Gaffar Khan.

Not many people in our region know that Gandhi Ji volunteered to become a soldier in the Gora (British) army.

But I think Gandhi was a shrewd politicians who used his position to propagate ideas that sometimes perhaps clashed within themselves.

One such clash occurred when he went to British and begged to join the army during early part of 1900s (around WW-1 period)

So let's have a say.

peace

p.s. I used the term Indian-Gandhi to differentiate him from Frontier-Gandhi aka Bacha Khan aka Khan abudul Gaffar Khan.

A guy matures as he ages, it is a learning curve and Gandhi is no exception, In youth every one is in confused state and direction less.

Those people who complain that Gandhi is too weak so he choose peaceful protests. Must read this. Young Gandhi is as angry and stubborn as any one.

Gandhi has a strong heart and a strong will to fight! All he did was, controlled his emotions and anger and diverted it in a mean way so that he can achieve his target with minimum bloodshed.

The below is a very nice video of Gandhi giving speech about his way of fighting (a movie clip)

Last edited:
Fart-O-Meter.jpg

Toxi.

Sorry to give you negative rating on this.

I was expecting you will share you knowledge of Indian military history.

Instead you fell back into usually $hit shoveling Indian-Pakistani style.

So sorry to see.

Either say you know Gandhi was OR was not a british-INdian soldier

Why your stomach got churning on this topic?

Why?

Last edited:

So let's have a say.

peace

Well, It's a well known fact that the train incident in South Africa had changed Gandhiji's life. There were two parts of Gandhi's life, One before the incident and one after. It's the second part of Gandhi's life we have to worry about not the first.

Damn, he even admitted to visiting a brothel. Does that mean we have to start analyzing why he went?

@Oscar, @WebMaster Please close the thread.

Well, It's a well known fact that the train incident in South Africa had changed Gandhiji's life. There were two parts of Gandhi's life, One before the incident and one after. It's the second part of Gandhi's life we have to worry about not the first.

Damn, he even admitted to visiting a brothel. Does that mean we have to start analyzing why he went?

@Oscar, @WebMaster Please close the thread.

Why this petty censorship on your part.

Gandhi went to brother, to satisfy his urges.

Why do you compare this basic instinct

with

Gandhi's decision to join British army?

Why?

No human is perfect. we all make mistakes.

How else is experience gained if not by mistakes.

What if it was not a mistake of Gandhi

Instead a shrewd move in the backdrop of the politics of that time.

Did you think about that?

peace

Why this petty censorship on your part.

Gandhi went to brother, to satisfy his urges.

Why do you compare this basic instinct

with

Gandhi's decision to join British army?

Why?

Gandhi's fight against occupation had started when he returned to India from SA. So, it can be assumed that Gandhi had a liking towards the armed forces and tried to enlist. What's wrong in it?

Gandhi's fight against occupation had started when he returned to India from SA. ?

Please update your time line of events.

He begged British to give him "volunteer commission" AFTER returning from S Africa.

it can be assumed that Gandhi had a liking towards the armed forces and tried to enlist. What's wrong in it?

Not a good "Assumption"

Not many Gujratis enlisted. At least not the ones from Gandhi's family background

and especially not the ones with a degree from Englland.

This was an honorary position because obviously he could not pass the physicals.

peace

There is no great man or lesser man. Good man or evil man.
Each one of us is different and yet we all are the same.

Stop the hero worship as of today.

Be yourself.

Edit: added one line.

Last edited:

FaujiHistorian, usually I love your perspective on events - rightly or wrongly, you have a refreshing take.

This time around I would disagree.

Please read up 'Ambulance Services', their history, the dangers they faced, and how they managed.

With someone less knowledgeable, I would have elaborated; in your case, all I will say is - look at this anew.

FaujiHistorian, usually I love your perspective on events - rightly or wrongly, you have a refreshing take.

This time around I would disagree.

Please read up 'Ambulance Services', their history, the dangers they faced, and how they managed.

With someone less knowledgeable, I would have elaborated; in your case, all I will say is - look at this anew.

Thank you for your kind comments.

But please help me understand your post a bit more

Are you implying that Gandhi was part of a European campaign, or in the Middle East or in the Far East?
-------------- Serving as British-India solider?

From what I remember he was in the Stretcher bearer corps, which was a non combative unit in the BRITISH Military (Unlike what many say that it was outside the influence of the Army)... That much is a lie. The rank has no bearing as most highly intelligent Indians and "natives" were given "acting" ranks.

I understand. But please describe which specific war front that Gandhi was carrying dead bodies.

Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom