The Arab Spring : Lessons for Manipur

A1Kaid

PDF THINK TANK: ANALYST
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
The Arab Spring : Lessons for Manipur

Surendranath Sharma Laimayum

Surendranath Sharma Laimayum wrote this article for Hueiyen Lanpao (English Edition)
This article was posted on July 15, 2013.

Sekmai_protest_20130422_5.jpg

The self immolation of a young man named Md. Bouazizi, a street vendor, in Tunisia on 17 December 2010, protesting against forceful confiscation of his wares, harassment and inhuman humiliation by a woman Municipal Officer provided the immediate spark for the peoples' impromptu movement against the authoritarian regime of Ben Ali. Ben Ali not only fell but also fled.

The flame of revolt ignited by Bouazizi soon fanned across the length and breadth of northern Africa and the Gulf, engulfing Libya, Egypt, Yemen and Bahrain. The ongoing civil war in Syria too is a product of rippling effect of the same. This wave of peoples' uprising cutting across countries and regimes in the Arab world is known as the Arab Spring.

While there existed a plethora of causes, let me pick out a few internal factors that encouraged, propelled and sustained the overwhelming public outbursts then seen on the streets of these affected countries. The protests did not emerge out any particular ideology. It was an immediate unstructured, unorganized public response to an incident.

What made the conditions ripe for such a movement may be found in the existence in these societies of prolonged Military or Emergency Laws, weak or failed Justice delivery systems, brutal and harsh Police with scant respect for civil rights, rampant illegal detentions, extra constitutional executions and Human Rights abuses, overriding overreach of the Police and the Military in the garb of security, gross corruption at all levels, extremely high unemployment rate, prevalence of abject poverty among the majority and lack of Political Freedom. Uncontrolled inflation leading to unaffordable food prices made matters worse.

Now, compare these conditions with those in Manipur. Prima facie, these exact same conditions confront contemporary Manipur.

What makes the case of Manipur peculiar is the unstated reality that while Manipur is governed by the established State machinery, other invisible, outlawed and armed non state actors too hold sway. On the established Government's side, Corruption is overarching though unprovable. Police, Paramilitary and Military meddling in the general life of the public is indubitable.

Emergency law in the name of AFSPA has outlived the lives of many. Illegal detention, extra constitutional killings and Human Rights abuses are the order of the day and Justice Delivery mechanism is frail to say the least. The Government has failed to adequately address the unemployment issue, allowing multitudes of able bodied, skilled and unskilled potential workforce to idle, besides large scale disguised unemployment in the agricultural sector and the small family-run enterprises.

The multiple armed opposition groups operate as invisible forces affecting the exact same public already groaning under the whip of State oppression. The extortion demands and 'taxes' imposed on any business activity, intimidations, threats to life, killings and the now fashionable trend of placing orphaned grenades at homesteads and workplaces of their targets, all add further woes and uncertainty to civic life.

Even temples of learning where the future of young children is shaped have not been spared. Toll gates of militants along the arterial Highways are a sight one cannot miss.

Corruption and extortion are different names of the same act. Thus, the officials extort through demand for bribes and the militants do it by its euphemism called tax.

Whereas generally the principle of demand and supply determines the price, the struggle of the traders and business community to recover the higher input cost arising from contribution towards both bribes to officials and taxes to the militants naturally leads to a further spike in prices. Hemmed from all possible sides, the public have suffered and are suffering.

Source: The Arab Spring Lessons for Manipur

An interesting article which raises key points. I think the author raised many good comparisons between the two situations and circumstances.

Source: The Arab Spring Lessons for Manipur

An interesting article which raises key points. I think the author raised many good comparisons between the two situations and circumstances.

Yeah the author did, but you failed to highlight all of em, let me help you out.

The multiple armed opposition groups operate as invisible forces affecting the exact same public already groaning under the whip of State oppression. The extortion demands and 'taxes' imposed on any business activity, intimidations, threats to life, killings and the now fashionable trend of placing orphaned grenades at homesteads and workplaces of their targets, all add further woes and uncertainty to civic life.

Even temples of learning where the future of young children is shaped have not been spared. Toll gates of militants along the arterial Highways are a sight one cannot miss.

Corruption and extortion are different names of the same act. Thus, the officials extort through demand for bribes and the militants do it by its euphemism called tax.

Though Manipur is no Tunisia; being a State of the Indian Union where democracy is the polity; yet similar conditions of unbearable repression, humiliation and harassment not only attributable to the transgressions of the State apparatus but also to the non State groups prevail. The everyday struggle to live is like an act of faith.

The steam of rejection is building up steadily. The collective pent up frustration and anger is becoming discernible. The long patience, resilience and hitherto uncomplained suffering cannot be eternal. The seeming silence of the public must not be misconstrued as acceptance of oppression. It is not without reason that Morocco and Jordan escaped the storm of the Arab Spring. It was timely reforms based on informed appreciation of the peoples' mood that had saved them.

Real power lies with the masses. The collectivity of people has the power to bring about the desired change. All actors must, therefore, understand and respect the wish and desire of the masses before it is too late.

All they want is to live with dignity, free from humiliation, harassment, intimidation and official and non official extortion. In short, rule of law. Else, Manipur's awakening may be looming nigh.

Source: http://www.defence.pk/forums/centra...rab-spring-lessons-manipur.html#ixzz2ZkQ2d0CZ

Yeah the author did, but you failed to highlight all of em, let me help you out.

You failed to see I actually did bold that part, you should look again before commenting.

Excerpt from my post:

The article is balanced and also discussed the role of militancy in Manipur.

why only Manipur what about Nagaland, Kashmir, Khalistan and Tamilnadu ???

Manipur is hopeless place still stuck in past.. AFSPA has only increased their sufferings. I wonder why it is even there .If the armed forces require power give them something else.

Manipur is hopeless place still stuck in past.. AFSPA has only increased their sufferings. I wonder why it is even there .If the armed forces require power give them something else.

Like what for example?

Like what for example?

I don't know..all i see AFSPA in Manuipur as anti people which does nothing but harass loyal citizens and make everyone's life miserable. please read this SC panel pushes for a humane AFSPA - India - DNA

The situation in Manipur today is completely different from what it was a decade ago. The state is run by mafias both political and (banned)armed forces. Everybody knows there is strong nexus between politicians,police and the terrorists. There are families where a person is a police officer while his cousin is a senior member of some banned outfit. Center has been pouring millions of rupees in the state but half of has been shiponed off by the corrupt politicians while other half get "taxed" by the outfits leaving nothing for the citizens .
Watch this video to understand what I m trying to say , i`ve posted it before but anyway Manipur : The Way Out -- G K Pillai - YouTube

It is the people to change the politicians to a better one.

Last edited by a moderator:
Err Tamilnadu???? Or is it in your wish list??? Anyway keep dreaming.

dont you have any dreams ? isn't getting a green card to US and be out of a sink hole of a country called India part of an average Indians' dream ???

dont you have any dreams ? isn't getting a green card to US and be out of a sink hole of a country called India part of an average Indians' dream ???

My dreams? :lol: Try harder next time. And by the way I was in India last month. The new found energy over there with the people is amazing with booming business especially in real estate.

Back
Top Bottom