What's new

Thank you, India

xTra

Reaction score
Country
India
Thank you, India

From sadhus in dreadlocks mediating on mountains to food that taught them to tolerate pain, India’s clichéd portrayal has, however, changed the lives of many - who have in turn, changed the world

Malaysia may be truly Asia, but India's got an edge when it comes to attracting Western tourists seeking enlightenment.

Lonely Planet recently carried out a survey among its Facebook and Twitter followers on destinations that had most altered their lives.

Over 1,000 people responded and India was voted the favourite destination for life-changing experiences.

Cambodia was at number two. Almost tied for third place were Australia and Thailand. So globe-trotters don’t come to our country looking for fakirs on beds of nails any more. But they don’t mind a few epiphanies while here. Here are a few people who returned altered because of their Indian experiences.

Steve Jobs

When 18-year-old college dropout Jobs came to India in 1974, he walked seven miles to get a free meal at the Hare Krishna temple and take a crowded bus from Delhi to UP and back. Having chucked away his jeans and tees for lungis and dhotis, Jobs left Delhi for the Himalayas, slept in deserted buildings and survived on mangoes with dahi and chapati in a quest to find his inner self. From battling dysentery and scabies to getting fleeced and surviving a thunderstorm, his India experience was not pleasant.

But it changed Jobs’ thinking: he returned home a tonsured Buddhist. His faith in human intelligence and technology was strengthened during visits to mystics. Dan Kottke said Jobs appreciated India’s spiritual culture that ‘helps many live fulfilling lives in the midst of material poverty’. Asserting his practical approach to life, Jobs later said, “Maybe Thomas Edison did a lot more to improve the world than Karl Marx and Neem Karoli Baba (a mystic) put together.”

The Beatles
The ashram of Maharishi Mahesh Yogi at Rishikesh was the reason behind The Beatles’ famed three-month stay in India in 1968, along with their wives, girlfriends and a mega entourage. What started with a meditation session at the foothills of the Himalayas turned out to be one of the most musically productive periods for the iconic band.

The foursome wrote around 30 songs, of which 18 with noticeable Eastern musical influences, were later recorded for the White Album, Abbey Road and as solos. Their controversial fallout with the Maharishi was public and John Lennon later said, “We believe in meditation, but not the Maharishi and his scene. We made a mistake. He’s human like the rest of us.”

George Harrison, who introduced his bandmates to Indian culture and yoga, learnt sitar from Pandit Ravi Shankar, converted to Hinduism and started signing off as ‘Hari Bol’. Their legendary song Norwegian Wood has sitar strains enhancing guitar sounds.

Elizabeth Gilbert
In Elizabeth Gilbert’s blockbuster on selfdiscovery Eat, Pray, Love, the ‘pray’ section pans out in an Indian ashram.

The 2006 book, which sold 10 million copies, is a memoir based on her year-long journey to Rome, India and Indonesia after her marriage broke down.

Julia Roberts essayed her role in the film in the part where she meditates to get to the ‘elusive fourth level of human consciousness’ while fighting off thoughts about the New York property market.

She said in an interview later that it was during meditation - based on the japa mala with 108 sections, divided into three groups of 36 - that the structure of the book became clear to her. “In one glorious instant I was shown a complete vision of how the book would be organized,” she said.

Allen Ginsberg
Beat poet Allen Ginsberg’s 1961 trip to India is believed to have not only changed his life but helped spawn generations of hippies, writers, artists, rock stars and mental cases who traveled here.

He stayed in a tenement apartment on the banks of Ganga at Varanasi. Deborah Baker, who has documented his time here in the book A Blue Hand, says the journey had a tremendous impact on Ginsberg and India remained with him until his death in 1997. His activism was influenced by Gandhian principles.

He continued to chant and use the harmonium while singing hymns after his return. While he came here looking for the sacred, Gary Snyder who came along with him has suggested he was also looking for ‘drugs and boys’.

Gregory David Roberts
On being convicted for bank robbery 30 years ago, Australian Gregory David Roberts managed a prison break, fled to India and lived here for a decade. Destiny had it that Roberts stayed in Mumbai, learned near-flawless Marathi and started a free clinic for slumdwellers.

The underworld found him useful for smuggling passports and foreign currency. Roberts also worked as an extra in a handful of Bollywood movies. At home, a studied introspection of his misadventures led to Shantaram - a fictionalised account of his on-the-edge life in Mumbai.

Roberts, who doesn’t miss Leopold’s when here, maintains that he found a lot of love in India and how the city helped him heal. “I fell into Mumbai as a wounded man might fall into the arms of a stranger - a woman who cares for him and heals him for no other reason than that she should.”

Link : http://www.mumbaimirror.com/article/2/20111118201111180202174999f9ca924/Thank-you-India.html

A very very nice compilation. Our culture and heritage must be guarded with the utmost care. Thank you for putting this up.

A very very nice compilation. Our culture and heritage must be guarded with the utmost care. Thank you for putting this up.

"Whenever we suspect losing in comparison, we clutch on to our favorite things. Culture and tradition."

Last edited by a moderator:
There is a difference though. India tries to project itself in a certain way (aka 'Incredible India'), but when Westerners visit India, they're left quite distressed/shocked by the abject conditions in India, & their feelings about India change completely than before they visited it. They made an internationally acclaimed movie 'Slumdog Millionaire' out of it. If you want to feel pride in that, then sure, go ahead.

Not that racist movie again. Sure, India has plenty of problems. But that movie dehumanizes brown people as savage barbarians.

There is a difference though. India tries to project itself in a certain way (aka 'Incredible India'), but when Westerners visit India, they're left quite distressed/shocked by the abject conditions in India, & their feelings about India change completely than before they visited it. They made an internationally acclaimed movie 'Slumdog Millionaire' out of it. If you want to feel pride in that, then sure, go ahead.

The cultural shock is expected and sure is distressing for many. Just the same way parents of many of my friends living in America cut their journies short and return to india.

While you only look at such experiences, which are there and will be there, there have been millions of westerners who have come to love the land once they come over the initial assault on their senses and so many have spent major parts of their lives in India and continue to do so. However your usual bias and obsession with Indian poverty is going to make you blind to it.

After all, the poverty did not stop members of beatles from getting inspiration from Indian spiritualism, of which they have spoken in glowing words!

About slumdog millionaire - lol grow up kid. This is about the survey, true to national character you seem in denial about the results!

Have u ever seen Incredible India add..where do we talk about poor or rich India..We show case our culture, our heritage and our monuments..It is a tourism advertiment.? Are u saying we dont have those things which we show in the add?

Then what is ur point of saying such stupid things? Ur jealousy is clearly showing dude!!!

And Yes !!!We are not ashamed of our poverty..!!

Have u ever seen Incredible India add..where do we talk about poor or rich India..We show case our culture, our heritage and our monuments..It is a tourism advertiment.? Are u saying we dont have those things which we show in the add?

Then what is ur point of saying such stupid things? Ur jealousy is clearly showing dude!!!

And Yes !!!We are not ashamed of our poverty..!!
Superb video mate
Proud to be Indian

Bilal, sorry to say, but here's the biased person in you speaking.

For every western tourist that has been driven away by the dirt, poverty, cheats etc there have been 100 that have stayed and come back again and again. Most people are able to see beyond the negativity and look at the positive aspects - the warmth of the people, the myriad cultures, the multitude of colors and the quality at low cost. As a frequent traveler I have met literally hundreds of westerners who are just touched by the simplicity the place has to offer. Even after all the negative points quoted above - million of tourists still flock to our shores, don't they? Do you think they are all middle aged Europeans scammed by their travel agents into believing India to be a tourist heaven? Are you smarter than those millions of people?

Incredible India does not mean developed India nor rich India. Nor does it mean we are able to feed every mouth. It means that we are incredible and have so much to offer in spite of our drawbacks! And a word about SLumdog Millionaire - the movie is brought up quite frequently by India bashers as a genuine commentary on how the west sees India. But does anyone care to check if tourist arrivals were ever impacted by this movie? Most people rely on better sources than a movie to make their travel plans!

hiding a slum that makes city look bad is different and throwing poor people out of cities is different...ask your masters how they deal with its poor..oh wait it is given in the same article...

China went even further before the 2008 Olympics, forcibly relocating about 1.25 million people, removing political "troublemakers" from the capital and tearing down traditional hutong neighborhoods.
India Commonwealth Games | India hurries to hide its poor - Los Angeles Times

For every western tourist that has been driven away by the dirt, poverty, cheats etc there have been 100 that have stayed and come back again and again. Most people are able to see beyond the negativity and look at the positive aspects - the warmth of the people, the myriad cultures, the multitude of colors and the quality at low cost. As a frequent traveler I have met literally hundreds of westerners who are just touched by the simplicity the place has to offer. Even after all the negative points quoted above - million of tourists still flock to our shores, don't they? Do you think they are all middle aged Europeans scammed by their travel agents into believing India to be a tourist heaven? Are you smarter than those millions of people?

Incredible India does not mean developed India nor rich India. Nor does it mean we are able to feed every mouth. It means that we are incredible and have so much to offer in spite of our drawbacks! And a word about SLumdog Millionaire - the movie is brought up quite frequently by India bashers as a genuine commentary on how the west sees India. But does anyone care to check if tourist arrivals were ever impacted by this movie? Most people rely on better sources than a movie to make their travel plans!

My point is that most people have a different opinion of India before they actually they go there, & after they visit it. It's as simple as that.

Nice reply to a bias person....

Falling in love with India
and sharing Bollywood's wishful thinking
By Christine Pallascio

At the end of 2009, I realized my dream to go around the world, following an itinerary, which would sweep me away to places I had never been before. After visiting Hong Kong, Thailand, Bali, Australia and Singapore, I landed in Delhi, at the beginning of this year, for a two-week guided visit of Rajasthan. Culturally, India is so far away from our western lifestyle, I was told, and it is such a complex society! A dutiful traveler, I had read about India, but it soon became obvious, not enough. During my first few days in Rajasthan, adjusting to the country seemed difficult, although I was part of a very convivial North-American group guided and driven by experienced and charming local people. Namaste aur shukria! Thanks to them and also the serving of curd or fresh yogurt with spicy meals, I adjusted as a well-mannered tourist does, took wonderful pictures, and shared great moments with my group. Little did I expect what was to come.

India was followed by the last stop on my journey, South Africa, and the meeting of a special new traveling companion from Switzerland who had spent many months in India and was a longtime Bollywood buff. Several days of driving along the Eastern coastal roads from Johannesburg to Southern Cape Town allowed for a debriefing led by my patient friend who tried to answer innumerable questions. Eventually, she got her iPhone out "What music are you listening to?" I asked, "Some Bollywood movie soundtracks. Want to listen? We can share." And she gave me one ear bud. I discovered Bollywood music. We toured most of South Africa side by side, discussing at length Indian movies, stars, and music. Then Durban came into view. Knowing it has the second largest Indian population after India itself, Joëlle had checked the movie theaters schedule and offered to join her to see an Indian movie, my Bollywoodian christening of sort. We saw "My name is Khan" staring Shah Rukh Khan and Kajol. I was awe struck by the actors, the acting and also by Bollywood's perspective on the world and its powerful wishful thinking that makes love emerge from the most unimaginable situations, twists your inside with intense dramatic events and no matter what it takes to achieve it, in the end, takes you to a heavenly catharsis.

Once I was back home, and for the last several months now, I could not and still cannot stop searching for Indian movies to see, actors' websites, music sites, and gossip sites. I sit at the computer for hours on end, wearing an Indian "pajama" or a t-shirt and the Indian dhoti, which I learnt to tie in the Bollywood movie "Swades". I drink Darjeeling tea and keep on digging for more information or watch Indian movies on the Net or at the downtown theater that presents the recent releases with subtitles. This Bollywood "coup de foudre" has become a delightfully invasive passion for the industry, the literature, the food, as well as for the country. I want to go back. I am learning Hindi with Shah Rukh Khan, studying the lyrics of his movie songs in the various translations offered on the Internet.

But, will Bollywood movies and perspective on the Indian society penetrate enough of the remote Indian villages and small townships occupying over 70% of the country, to spread its messages and move India into the future, conciliating traditional and contemporary values? And will it be strong enough to foster the change needed? Of course, I am referring to the current questions, which inspire so many of Bollywood movies: love, arranged marriages, the status of women, a diehard racism between religions, casts and skin colors, corruption, the responsibility of the people in their political government and destiny. It seems clear that Bollywood is serious about spreading messages that will help the population evolve toward, and enter the 21st century.

If the largest cities seem to evolve rapidly in that direction, poverty and the lack of infrastructures add to the list of difficulties to overcome in this huge country with one billion people, where there are still farmers working their fields with a camel and a makeshift wooden plough; beautiful women in their multi-colored saris and bangles working hard in the fields; not to mention the multitude of plastic bags found everywhere and being fed on by free roaming cows, pigs and goats. There is definitely a need for massive broadcast of information, hopefully generating discussions and citizen's participation within their communities and movies seem to be a good tool to do just that, owing to the fact that across the nation and especially in small communities, there are TVs or radios. But Indians passionately love to go to movie theaters, love their movies and worship their movie stars. That has not escaped Bollywood.

On the morning of my departure from India, I simply sank in a sea of emotions. Having visited the vestiges of its glorious past, and the best and worst of Rajasthan, I woke up early in a Delhi I had hardly seen anything of, but for a Gandhi monument and his grave, a charming old hotel with good plumbing, and the Lotus Temple. I got picked up by an Indian taxi driver sent by the tour company and drove to the airport in this mesmerizing mauve and pink fog-draped rising sun so often photographed. Only then did I realize that, little by little, I had changed my North-American mind-set, opened up to a new life experience and, without realizing it, I had fallen in love with this country for yet intangible reasons, and was leaving with so many questions left unanswered. I had only scratched the surface of the beautiful pictures found in coffee table books and discovered other realities. But it was impossible to change my travelling plans; I had to leave and was heart-broken, consoling myself with the idea of coming back, this time much better prepared. I hope to do so soon, camera in hand.

Google up Bollywood on your computer and find your way into this mesmerizing universe powered by the most incredible spirit of wishful thinking, which has disappeared from the Western realism movie making. And like the closing message sometimes appearing at the end of romantic Bollywood movies, you might be enticed to "Fall in love again". It makes my heart smile. So does India.

Source: The World Solo

Shakira spells magic over Udaipur

3387_shakirapic.jpg

New Delhi Nov 17(IBNS

The ambiance of Udaipur on Tuesday was charged with exuberance and euphoria when the ravishing ‘Waka Waka’ girl Shakira came to the city for the birthday brawl of real estate magnate, K.P. Singh, CEO and Chairman of DLF Limited.

The Colombian pop singer came in a charted plane on Monday evening dressed in a black jacket and straightaway headed from the airport to the Udaivilas, disappointing her various fans who could just have a short glimpse of her.

This was Shakira’s second visit to India after she first came in 2007.

Shakira was appointed as the goodwill ambassador of UNICEF in 2003 and to promote her current cause of spreading education especially amongst the adolescent girls, she has in the past as well, visited many places across the globe.

To uphold the same, on Tuesday, earlier in the day, she met 13 adolescent girls from Kasturba Gandhi Awasiya Balika Vidhalaya at State Institute of Education Research and Training (SIERT), which is about 25kms from Udaipur.

During an half an hour session, she discussed with them issues concerning their life and education. These tribal girls are of age ranging from 7-14 years and most of them study in 1st to 7th standard.

All of them were happy to have met and spoken to a superstar like her.

Geetanjali Master, communication manager for UNICEF, told a daily that the way the singer connected with the girls was inspiring for them.

Even her twitter account said, “Educating girls improves farming, reduces malnutrition, child mortality and boosts economic growth @unicefus”

Later in the day, as scheduled, she gave a dazzling performance in the grand affair of Singh which took place at Jag Mandir situated on an island in Pichola Lake.

However, the only who’s who of Bollywood present at the party were Kabir Bedi, who took over to play the host and Adnan Sami, who too performed his famous numbers like Kabhi to nazar milao and Lift karade and set the mood for the evening.

But what left the eyeballs rolling was Shakira’s performance which included her much acclaimed numbers like Hips don’t lie and Waka Waka. Needless to say, at the end of her performance the audience was left spellbound and adding to the magic she even said, “Shukriya, I love Udaipur!

Earlier there were reports that footballer David Beckham and his designer wife Victoria Beckham along with Bollywood celebrities like Shahrukh Khan, Hritik Roshan and Shahid Kapoor will also attend the function but none of them were traced at the event. It was only Shakira’s magic that was everywhere.

Shakira spells magic over Udaipur

Back
Top Bottom