What's new

Tell Asians apart quiz

The Japanese are easy. As far as I know, only Japanese guys dye their hair blond. I haven't known any Chinese or Korean to do so.

Not really, their face still looks Japanese in my eyes, and they cannot be 100% identical to the Chinese.

Haha, for me, i'm still blur about all this difference. But I recognize a hot girl of whatever race when I see one :P

Chinese-Dragon, I've always wanted to ask. Why is it, the Chinese here have names in 3 syllabus, like Yong Chen Ling, Lim Kok Shung.. But in Chinese in mainland China, just two words, Sun Jihai, Lin Dan and so forth?

The Japanese are easy. As far as I know, only Japanese guys dye their hair blond. I haven't known any Chinese or Korean to do so.

Just watch some Korean drama and Chinese drama, you can start to tell them apart once you have seen more of them.

You have good taste buddy. :D

Zhang Ziyi is so average and overrated, there are tons of Chinese girls who are far better looking than her.

Not mentioning there are also a lot young talented post-80 actresses who are more attractive than her.

Haha, for me, i'm still blur about all this difference. But I recognize a hot girl of whatever race when I see one :P

Chinese-Dragon, I've always wanted to ask. Why is it, the Chinese here have names in 3 syllabus, like Yong Chen Ling, Lim Kok Shung.. But in Chinese in mainland China, just two words, Sun Jihai, Lin Dan and so forth?

Well, from what I know about Malaysia (like I said, I've got several family members who live in KL):

Kuala Lumpur generally has Chinese people of Cantonese descent, while the rest of Malaysia (and Singapore too) mainly have those of Hokkien descent (from Fujian province).

So there are some regional differences. Here is something you might like to read: Chinese given name - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And Singapore now teaches using Standard Mandarin, to avoid causing division between different groups of Chinese immigrants.

Just watch some Korean drama and Chinese drama, you can start to tell them apart once you have seen more of them.

I live in Australia, so I see plenty of Chinese and Korean (and Vietnamese).

Not so many Japanese though, except tourists.

Isn't Han Chinese is the ancestral stock for majority of East Asians? That would make it harder to spot a Chinese from others.

I live in Australia, so I see plenty of Chinese and Korean (and Vietnamese).

Not so many Japanese though, except tourists.

Isn't Han Chinese is the ancestral stock for majority of East Asians? That would make it harder to spot a Chinese from others.

From my own experience, i would say some Koreans look indistinguishable from the Chinese, but i can distinguish most of them.

That's right, there is a lot of shared DNA.

The original inhabitants of Japan for example (Ainu people) don't actually look very East Asian at all.

Here is a picture of one -> File:AinuManStilflied.JPG - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

They are some sort of Northern Paleo-Mongoloid, so they can look similar to the European Cro-Magnon at some degree, but it doesn't mean they were descended from it.

More specifically, they should be closer to the Amerindian groups as well.

Zhang Ziyi is so average and overrated, there are tons of Chinese girls who are far better looking than her.

Not mentioning there are also a lot young talented post-80 actresses who are more attractive than her.

Please do inform me of the new actresses LOL :lol:

And recommend me some good chinese movies too. Been a while since I catched one. Too much of Hollywood this days.

Well, from what I know about Malaysia (like I said, I've got several family members who live in KL):

Kuala Lumpur generally has Chinese people of Cantonese descent, while the rest of Malaysia (and Singapore too) mainly have those of Hokkien descent (from Fujian province).

So there are some regional differences. Here is something you might like to read: Chinese given name - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And Singapore now teaches using Standard Mandarin, to avoid causing division between different groups of Chinese immigrants.

Thanks, man. My own grandma was cantonese speaking, though she died when i was very young, so I never had the chance to find out more about my Chinese heritage.

And yea, a girl I used to go out with, used to study in a Chinese School, so I tried learning Mandarin. It was so ridiculously tough!

I only know this few words now, to help with, ease my way..

"Nee How Ma?"

"Wo Heng Siang Nee?"

"Wo Chinese Puh Che Tou" or the better way ""Wo bu hui jiang Chinese"

"Yaauu Moooh"

And of course, the all famous "Wo Ai Nee" :P

And yea, a girl I used to go out with, used to study in a Chinese School, so I tried learning Mandarin. It was so ridiculously tough!

Mandarin is alright, there are only 4 tones. Cantonese is much harder. :azn:

If you ever want to learn one, it's always best to go with Mandarin. Most Chinese people will be able to understand that.

Though since you're in Malaysia, then maybe Hokkien would be more useful...

Please do inform me of the new actresses LOL :lol:
And recommend me some good chinese movies too. Been a while since I catched one. Too much of Hollywood this days.

Just because she has some fame in the Hollywood, it doesn't mean that she represents the top class in China.

Most celebrities in today's China won't be obsessed for the Hollywood fame, since the Hollywood is made for the white celebrities, and the Asian celebrities won't become famous unless you are some stereotyped Kung Fu fighters like Bruce Lee and Jackie Chan.

I may be wrong. But this is how I try to differentiate:

1. Chinese are usually leaner with more yellowish skin.

2. Japanese eyes are tilted slightly downwards, skin is less yellow than Chinese. A lot of them have big heads and slender body.

3. Korean men usually have bigger build. Korean women usually perm their hair .

Mandarin is alright, there are only 4 tones. Cantonese is much harder. :azn:

If you ever want to learn one, it's always best to go with Mandarin. Most Chinese people will be able to understand that.

Though since you're in Malaysia, then maybe Hokkien would be more useful...

In Malaysia, at least among the people I know, most of them speak in Cantonese these days. The language in the movies.

I'll give Mandarin another try some time, it's getting rather important here, most of the engineers I work with are from Huawei or ZTE (Chinese Telco company), so you guessed it, Chinese speaking. It will be useful :)

Just because she has some fame in the Hollywood, it doesn't mean that she represents the top class in China.

Most celebrities in today's China won't be obsessed for the Hollywood fame, since the Hollywood is made for the white celebrities, and the Asian celebrities won't become famous unless you are some stereotyped Kung Fu fighters like Bruce Lee and Jackie Chan.

LOL I didn't say Zhang Ziyi is top class, I just said she's kinda cute.

Heck, even now in my office, I see a lot more hotter Chinese girls.

I agree with you though, Hollywood needs to get over this stereo-type of Chinese people as flying kicking kung fu people. In today's modern world, a chinese can play the same role with a white can, without being stereotyped into racial based roles.

In Malaysia, at least among the people I know, most of them speak in Cantonese these days. The language in the movies.

I'll give Mandarin another try some time, it's getting rather important here, most of the engineers I work with are from Huawei or ZTE (Chinese Telco company), so you guessed it, Chinese speaking. It will be useful :)

Also, I personally find that Mandarin sounds much better than Cantonese does. More "civil" I guess.

I'm sure you know, Cantonese has quite a "rough" sound to it. And Cantonese is LOUD lol, especially Hong Kongers.

Listen to my family talking while having dinner at a restaurant, it's so noisy. :D

Back
Top Bottom