What's new

Strong earthquake strikes Papua New Guinea

BDforever

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Bangladesh
A strong earthquake has struck Papua New Guinea's northern coast, causing residents who feared a tsunami to seek higher ground.

The quake, which the US Geological Survey says had a 6.8 magnitude, reportedly lasted for three minutes.

No tsunami warning has been issued and there were also no reports of serious damage or injuries.

It struck at about 08:55 local time (22:55 GMT Tuesday), with an epicentre 19km (11 miles) east of Aitape town.

The coastal town of Aitape was devastated in 1998 when a huge earthquake triggered a tsunami that left more than 2,000 people dead.

No tsunami warning was issued, but the Pacific Tsunami Warning Center said a quake this strong could sometimes generate local tsunami waves within 100km of the epicentre.

"Authorities in the region should be aware of this possibility and take appropriate action," it said.

An eyewitness told ABC News that many people sought higher ground after the earthquake struck.

"They were frightened maybe the sea will come up," Max Kamave said.

source: BBC News - Strong earthquake strikes Papua New Guinea

That's the third strong quake within 24 hours!!
Scream.gif
Iran, Dagestan and now Papua New Guinea! The world seems to be coming to an end!!
Worry.gif

Shiver me timbers!! I'm heading for them hills!
runforhills.gif

Hope there is no loss of life! More than 30 died in earth quake in Pakistan already! But that was of 7.8, this one is lesser!

That's the third strong quake within 24 hours!!
Scream.gif
Iran, Dagestan and now Papua New Guinea! The world seems to be coming to an end!!
Worry.gif

Shiver me timbers!! I'm heading for them hills!
runforhills.gif

It is reminding me 2012 movie and btw hilly areas are more dangerous for earthquake.

It is reminding me 2012 movie and btw hilly areas are more dangerous for earthquake.
Not where I'm from. Tamil Nadu is in Zone II which is the least seismically active:

india-map-seismiczone.jpg

There hasn't been a quake in the hills here since the time of Aristotle!! ;)

Not where I'm from. Tamil Nadu is in Zone II which is the least seismically active:

india-map-seismiczone.jpg

There hasn't been a quake in the hills here since the time of Aristotle!! ;)

you are lucky , here in Iran we are between to Asian and Arabia Plateu and as the Arabia plateu moves toward Asia plate it made Iran one of the must fertile lands for earth quack
iran_haz.jpg

I guess the earthquack in Bangeladish also are results of the movement of Indian plate toward Asian Plate

you are lucky , here in Iran we are between to Asian and Arabia Plateu and as the Arabia plateu moves toward Asia plate it made Iran one of the must fertile lands for earth quack
Your nuke power plants are in danger because of this. Unfortunately, you guys have no choice. Here in India they are mostly constructed on the least seismically active areas.

Your nuke power plants are in danger because of this. Unfortunately, you guys have no choice. Here in India they are mostly constructed on the least seismically active areas.

well , he ony thing we can do is to build them more secure , in theory our Zagross mountain is another Himalaya in development . each year Arabia plateu move around 2 inch under the Iran Plateu and that's the reason of earth quack in Iran
the yesterday earthquack in Saravan was the direct result of such movement but the earth-quack several day ago in Bushehr was indirect result of it as the movement of tho plate beside each other was not the cause but the pressure mounted from those movement caused the Iranian Plateu have a tear , something called thrust faulting

Americans and their bad aiming with HAARP. :omghaha:

Back
Top Bottom