What's new

Sri Lanka to scale down Twenty20 league

Bond

Reaction score
COLOMBO: Sri Lanka's cash-strapped cricket governing body is likely to scale down its inaugural Twenty20 league and go ahead without foreign players, a source close to the process said Tuesday.

The Sri Lanka Premier League (SLPL) was scheduled to kick off on July 19 with players from Australia, India, New Zealand, Pakistan and the West Indies, but foreigners demanding hefty fees are now unlikely to be included.

"The thinking at the moment is to go ahead with only local players," a source close to Sri Lanka Cricket said.

He said a decision by India to ban its players from taking part in the SLPL, which is modelled on the successful Indian Premier League (IPL), had undermined the viability of Sri Lanka's venture.

The involvement of Indian stars in the event was seen as essential to enhance television audiences in the lucrative Indian market.

Sri Lanka co-hosted the 2011 World Cup at a cost of $69 million, far in excess of its projected budget amid allegations of financial mismanagement.

India was opposed to participating in the SLPL after media reports that the tournament had links to Lalit Modi, the sacked former boss of IPL.

Sri Lanka has denied the involvement of Modi who faces criminal charges and accusations from Indian cricket authorities over millions of dollars misappropriated during his three-year tenure as IPL chairman.

doesn't they have the idea of fee they have to pay to foreign players ?
if they don't have money to pay then why even think of a event like this ...

and one good thing to learn from it that one should not aim by putting the gun on someone other's shoulder , and if you do that , atleast be respectfull to that shoulder ...

doesn't they have the idea of fee they have to pay to foreign players ?
if they don't have money to pay then why even think of a event like this ...

They were relying on indian TV money. Now that BCCI pulled the plug on indian players participation, generating the kinda of money to pay intl stars is not going to be easy!

i think ICC may have threatened SLCB to organise any similar event like IPL, i dot believe SVCB was 'wating' for indian money

IPL must be banned, it is clear threat for cricket.

There was a time when people were mad for cricket, but now that madness is fading away, beleive me this is true.

Expected that BCCI is very cleaver and also not easy to organize IPL like event.

There was a time when people were mad for cricket, but now that madness is fading away, beleive me this is true.

Sour grapes.... Get your self placed to PPL first.... IPL is a hit, and a Club event is in no way a threat, it only builds Unity.

LOL pakistani is not playing that does't mean IPL will be ban.IPL it self promoting cricket to the world how its a threat to cricket..

Banning Indian players was a bad decision by BCCI

Pakistan should join hands with srilanka on this...Pakistani cricket has suffered due to all made up security situations ...

Pakistan should join hands with srilanka on this...Pakistani cricket has suffered due to all made up security situations ...

seem like even pakistani players refuse to play at fee offered...

Do not blame IPL. c

This is not because of IPL but Pakistan's performance , match fixing , incapable board and India wining the world cup. :rofl:

who will ban IPL? :P :P :P

Afridi badly wanted to play in any league so as to get some money... looks like Afridi's last hope is also gone.. :rofl:

jokes apart...I'm just wondering How the local players will make this event a big hit and profit making.. ??

SL cricket board was already in loses and debt due to World cup,wise decision to drop international players...they demand huge amounts.
Copying IPL is not easy.

Back
Top Bottom