What's new

Sri Lanka seeks mobile workforce via integrated mobile application platform

Lankan Ranger

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Sri Lanka seeks mobile workforce via integrated mobile application platform

Sri Lanka organizations should adapt mobile based operation systems where work can be access through a mobile phone or a device which will give easy access to tech savvy young employees to engage with work anytime from their devices, software expert said.

“Sri Lanka has sophisticated young people in organizations,” Bhupesh Lall, marketing director of Progress South Asia Pacific and Japan said.

“For youth it’s all about social media and mobile devices that connect them to the world and they are bringing those factors into their work place,”

“Many people carry their work home and home to work with these devices. We took it as an opportunity.”

He was addressing the launch of the latest version of OpenEdge, an integrated mobile application development platform targeting the increasing mobile workforce.

Progress Software, a global software company partnered Sri Lanka’s Kingslake, a software development company to launch this software.

Kingslake has already built up mobile application of accounting, pay rolls, storage management to be used in daily office operations.

Kingslake CEO, Duleep Fernando said that there are many requests for mobile applications by companies that can be applied in their work operations.

These applications only require a smart device with internet connectivity and a monthly payment starting from 10 dollars per user, Fernando said.

“Organizations are now keen on mobile application based work. This has created a mobility culture in organizations: that is a trend.”

Sri Lanka has 20 million mobile subscribers and Lall says with the islands and coupled with the rapidly growing smart phone market can give an opportunity for products of this kind.

“Children grow up. Today everybody is on face book or twitter,” Lall said.

“So when these young people coming in to the work environment, they expect those devices to be a part of their work.”

He says some organizations’ are already practicing in the device based work by letting employees bring their own devices to work.

“When these young employees come to work, what they ask is can you give me an app to make my work easier?”

“Can I create a community, can I work with my peers, and can I work with my customers?”

“So that trend is really strong in Sri Lanka as much anywhere else in the world. If a company does not get adapted to this trend they will get left behind.” Lall said.

Lanka Business Report

Back
Top Bottom