What's new

South Asia on cusp of strategic realignment?

nangyale

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
South Asia on cusp of strategic realignment?
by: M K Bhadrakumar

The South Asian region seems ripe for a strategic realignment, although no one cares to talk about it openly. The Russian report to the effect that Moscow is ending its self-imposed arms embargo on Pakistan amounts to a signal that the tectonic plates of the geopolitics of the region are shifting.

If the report is true — RIA Novosti is an official news agency — this is further confirmation that India and Russia are drifting apart. From a stance of benign neglect of the relationship in the post-cold war era, the two countries are careering away from each other.
The Manmohan Singh government consciously atrophied India’s ties with Russia and in the haste to build mil-to-mil relations with the US, Russia’s preeminence as India’s number 1 arms supplier was steadily whittled down. Simply put, Uncle Sam has replaced Ivan in the Delhi darbar and that’s precisely what the doctor in Washington prescribed.
The proverbial last nail on the coffin could have been the impasse over Kudankulam 3 and 4 due to American pressure. It should be no surprise if the Russians feel thoroughly disillusioned.
At any rate, Moscow has understood that it is steadily losing ground in the Indian market to the American (and israeli) arms manufacturers. Meanwhile, Japan is also knocking at the door, poised to enter the Indian market.
The alacrity with which the new government in Delhi is fast tracking the proposal to allow 100 percent foreign direct investment in the defence sector is virtually tailor-made for the American and Japanese companies to take over India’s arms industry. The doctor in Washington prescribed that, too.
The Russians have understood that it is about time to move on. Pakistan is virgin soil for Russian arms industry. But then, there is always more to arms sales than commercial considerations. Such transactions also imply a highly strategic partnership and they emanates out of a high degree of strategic congruence. A Russian-Pakistani-Chinese axis has profound implications for regional security. It isolates India in its region.
India’s tilt toward the US’ rebalance strategy in Asia, which was subtle or nuanced during the UPA rule can be expected to become more pronounced under the new government led by Prime Minister Narendra Modi. On the other hand, the US’ ties with China and Russia have come under great stress lately.
Maybe, the fallout is not to be measured in coffee spoons or put into water-tight ‘blocs’ — at least, not yet — but my forecast is that India will be alone among the South Asian countries to gravitate toward the US’ rebalance strategy.
India’s neighbors are either likely to borrow from India’s old repertoire and remain ‘non-aligned’ or, more likely, they might edge closer to China and Russia. No doubt, their top priority will be to keep the Indian wolf at arm’s length.

Pointless article, Russia and India have moved on from a buyer/seller relationship into one of joint development and the biggest winners of the 123 agreement was Russia not USA or the West!

Even a former Indian diplomat describes India as "the Indian wolf". That speaks volumes :agree:.

Indo-China or Pak-Russian relationship would not be at the cost of traditional Pak-Chian or Indo-Russian relationship, currently this whole region is in the transitional state of intergovernmental rapprochement, all four states are trying to break the historical barriers which is quit necessary for the future of of this region.

This approach if continues will be helpful in the stability of the region.

Indo-China or Pak-Russian relationship would not be at the cost of traditional Pak-Chian or Indo-Russian relationship, currently this whole region is in the transitional state of intergovernmental rapprochement, all four states are trying to break the historical barriers which is quit necessary for the future of of this region.

This approach if continues will be helpful in the stability of the region.

SCO could help bring us together in this

this should be ..... but there are some issues ....

The biggest one being 'K' if we can solve this we can move on from the past and expand trade and join the SCO on full membership, pipelines could be build too like TAPI which has the backing of Russia and will help meet both our energy needs.

The biggest one being 'K' if we can solve this we can move on from the past and expand trade and join the SCO on full membership, pipelines could be build too like TAPI which has the backing of Russia and will help meet both our energy needs.

no .... that time has gone when 'K' was the biggest issue of the region for the international community.

On bilateral grounds India- Pakistan will not enjoy a normal relationship for some more decades, but due the strategic shifts in regional politics every country is enjoying more options available to them, obviously not all option will work, but it is yet to be seen which country opted which options and what will be the outcome of their choices in the longer run.

lot is dependant on next 1 to 2 years (transitional phase).

no .... that time has gone when 'K' was the biggest issue of the region for the international community.

On bilateral grounds India- Pakistan will not enjoy a normal relationship for some more decades, but due the strategic shifts in regional politics every country is enjoying more options available to them, obviously not all option will work, but it is yet to be seen which country opted which options and what will be the outcome of their choices in the longer run.

lot is dependant on next 1 to 2 years (transitional phase).

Nothing is static though I mean look at the situation with Ukraine and Russia we just don't know what the future holds and what will happen next like if there is another 9/11 type of attack or even worse!

How do we even know this is not a Russian ploy to win more defence contracts with India? nothing is certain in this game of chess but Russia does have key concerns about Afghanistan I was watching a RT docu which spoke about the menace of heroin which is facing Russians and they were seeking Pakistan's help in fighting this illegal trade.

I will believe things if they materialise and if Russia does sell offensive helicopters to Pakistan I would agree it is a big game changer but for now I will watch this space and see if it actually were to happen.

This article does not paint everything for example when the cold war ended it was indeed Russia that wanted India to get a bit closer to the US, why? because they knew the US holds the cards for example signing the 123 agreement the biggest winners was Russia but this deal was no way possible without the US.

Nothing is static though I mean look at the situation with Ukraine and Russia we just don't know what the future holds and what will happen next like if there is another 9/11 type of attack or even worse!

How do we even know this is not a Russian ploy to win more defence contracts with India? nothing is certain in this game of chess but Russia does have key concerns about Afghanistan I was watching a RT docu which spoke about the menace of heroin which is facing Russians and they were seeking Pakistan's help in fighting this illegal trade.

I will believe things if they materialise and if Russia does sell offensive helicopters to Pakistan I would agree it is a big game changer but for now I will watch this space and see if it actually were to happen.

This article does not paint everything for example when the cold war ended it was indeed Russia that wanted India to get a bit closer to the US, why? because they knew the US holds the cards for example signing the 123 agreement the biggest winners was Russia but this deal was no way possible without the US.

I think this the only time in history when Iran, Pakstan, China & Russia have common interests and threats in Afghanistan, so it does not matter if Russia and Pakistan are establishing militarily relations or not for the time being.

what matter more is to have an agreed strategy for the 'regional initiatives' of Afghan issue,Afghan Taliban, TTP and other destabilizing factors need to be addressed collectively. Stable and progressive Afghanistan will benefit more than the half of the world population residing in this region.

I am sorry, too much has been read into the US industry that would tickle into Indian defense sector. Lets say they do it, will Indian army buy sensitive technology from them ? No.

Hell the American planes and missiles comes with lots of restriction, unless they shed them Indian defense forces won't buy them

Even a former Indian diplomat describes India as "the Indian wolf". That speaks volumes :agree:.
Well one has to keep in mind, how Indians treat their lower cast people, now imagine if you are a small country at the mercy of the Indians.

Back
Top Bottom