Skyline comparison London vs Moscow vs New York vs Shanghai

senheiser

Reaction score
Country
Russian Federation
54f2b7788e00.jpg

I see such skylines as a perversion. Thats the skyline nothing can top:

2016751754-berchtesgaden-3fef.jpg

I find this interesting though. Both in germany as in italy it is almost impossible by todays standards to build such skyscrapers. The only city in germany that has Skyscrapers is Frankfurt. In all other cities you would never get permission to build this, because there is zero acceptance in the population for this.

I find HK skyline better than Shanghai, maybe its he mountainous background in HK. I was there few weeks back, and the view from Tsim Tsa Tsui side is just amazing.

Yep. :cheers: Though those mountains are providing a headache for us, we're running out of space, and need to build a lot on reclaimed land at the waterfront. Our entire airport was built on an artificial island, made entirely out of reclaimed land.

Just my opinion but overall I kind of prefer Beijing and then Shanghai in that order. HK will always be my hometown, it's just the heat and humidity that is really killing me. I don't mind one or the other, but both at the same time is just ridiculous. Whereas Beijing's climate is truly beautiful.

Yep. :cheers: Though those mountains are providing a headache for us, we're running out of space, and need to build a lot on reclaimed land at the waterfront. Our entire airport was built on an artificial island, made entirely out of reclaimed land.

Just my opinion but overall I kind of prefer Beijing and then Shanghai in that order. HK will always be my hometown, it's just the heat and humidity that is really killing me. I don't mind one or the other, but both at the same time is just ridiculous. Whereas Beijing's climate is truly beautiful.

How about limiting growth? I think if the environment does not allow more growth, then it should be limited to that factor. I was only 3 days in Hongkong but liked it very much there.

I see such skylines as a perversion. Thats the skyline nothing can top:

2016751754-berchtesgaden-3fef.jpg

I find this interesting though. Both in germany as in italy it is almost impossible by todays standards to build such skyscrapers. The only city in germany that has Skyscrapers is Frankfurt. In all other cities you would never get permission to build this, because there is zero acceptance in the population for this.

It's easier for Germany, because Germany has been developed for quite a while now. So the development is more spread out, whereas in emerging markets like China the development is more localized in urban areas.

And there are about 10 million people each year who move from rural areas into cities, it's the largest urbanization process in world history.

So skyscrapers are a means of making more efficient use of the land, since there is limited land in these cities, but a huge amount of demand for it.

How about limiting growth? I think if the environment does not allow more growth, then it should be limited to that factor. I was only 3 days in Hongkong but liked it very much there.

China does limit city growth, with policies like Hukou that have been widely denounced across the world as a form of "discrimination" between city/rural people. Though it's now being reformed.

Hong Kong also does limit growth a lot. In order for a foreigner to get Hong Kong permanent residency, they need to invest USD $1.3 million into HK markets. And even then, they won't get Chinese citizenship, only HK residency.

It's easier for Germany, because Germany has been developed for quite a while now. So the development is more spread out, whereas in emerging markets like China the development is more localized in urban areas.

And there are about 10 million people each year who move from rural areas into cities, it's the largest urbanization process in world history.

So skyscrapers are a means of making more efficient use of the land, since there is limited land in these cities, but a huge amount of demand for it.

China does limit city growth, with policies like Hukou that have been widely denounced across the world as a form of "discrimination" between city/rural people. Though it's now being reformed.

Hong Kong also does limit growth a lot. In order for a foreigner to get Hong Kong permanent residency, they need to invest USD $1.3 million into HK markets. And even then, they won't get Chinese citizenship, only HK residency.

I have respect for Chinas recent change in politics. Just few years ago chinas environmental politocs were a complete desaster. Just look how rare turtle species were pushed on the edge of extinction and nature was destroyed in unimaginable ways. That seems to have changed now. I read police starts to enforce strict laws, makes razzia at markets and brings hard punishments to those who sell rare animals and plants. This is a good direction and i have respect for this.

We had the very same problem in germany and also italy too during industrialisation. But that changed in the 70th. Now its much better here. Even rare animals like bears return.

I have respect for Chinas recent change in politics. Just few years ago chinas environmental politocs were a complete desaster. Just look how rare turtle species were pushed on the edge of extinction and nature was destroyed in unimaginable ways. That seems to have changed now. I read police starts to enforce strict laws, makes razzia at markets and brings hard punishments to those who sell rare animals and plants. This is a good direction and i have respect for this.

We had the very same problem in germany and also italy too during industrialisation. But that changed in the 70th. Now its much better here. Even rare animals like bears return.

This sums things up as to what happened in the 70's in the West.
Team USA | Page 49

Actually start at this one and work your way down to it,
Team USA | Page 49

This sums things up as to what happened in the 70's in the West.
Team USA | Page 49

Actually start at this one and work your way down to it,
Team USA | Page 49

Which actually makes a lot of sense.

Since China is in a much earlier stage of development.

Many things that developed countries went through, we have yet to go through that. And hindsight is a great thing, the fact that we have so many examples to learn from means that our own efforts will start from a better position.

Which actually makes a lot of sense.

Since China is in a much earlier stage of development.

Many things that developed countries went through, we have yet to go through that. And hindsight is a great thing, the fact that we have so many examples to learn from means that our own efforts will start from a better position.

The whole rise of China is due to the USA/West off-loading all their industrialization destruction.

The whole rise of China is due to the USA/West off-loading all their industrialization destruction.

That may have increased the speed, but it was not the fundamental cause.

China's time was coming, there was never any doubt about that. Especially in a globalized world, we just leveraged what already existed.

For example, the vast majority of China's investment is domestic investment, at about 4-5 trillion every year. FDI is pittance in comparison, only about 100 billion a year, and most of that comes from Hong Kong, and ethnic Chinese overseas in Singapore and Taiwan.

Back
Top Bottom