What's new

Sikh Columbia Professor Attacked by Teens in Possible Hate Crime: Officials

Anubis

Reaction score
Country
Bangladesh
Police are investigating whether an attack on a Columbia professor by a group of teens in Harlem was a hate crime, law enforcement officials tell NBC 4 New York.

Prabhjot Singh, an assistant professor at Columbia's School of International and Public Affairs, said he was walking on 110th Street and Lenox Avenue at around 8 p.m. Saturday when he was confronted by more than a dozen teens on bicycles who shouted slurs before attacking him.

"I heard 'Get Osama' and then 'terrorists,' and then the next thing I felt was someone moving past me, ripping at my beard and then hitting me in the chin," Singh, who is a Sikh, told NBC 4 New York.

Singh said he started running and was punched in the face and in his sides. His attackers continued to kick and punch him after he fell to the ground, he said.

Singh was taken to Mt. Sinai Hospital Saturday and had surgery on his jaw, which was fractured.

Singh believes he could have died if good Samaritans who were walking by hadn't helped get the teens off him.

"There's no doubt in my mind it was a bias-related event," he said.

The attack, he says, makes him worry that his 1-year-old son, "who will certainly resemble a Sikh man," will face similar hatred as he gets older.

Singh wrote an op-ed for the New York Times last year about how Sikhs are mistaken as Muslims and haven fallen victim to hate crimes since 9-11.

"My fear is that they'll disappear into the neighborhood," he said of the assailants, adding that he hopes the community mobilizes to prevent similar attacks.

Prabhjot-Singh.jpg

Sikh Columbia Professor Attacked by Teens in Possible Hate Crime: Officials | NBC New York

Lakh de lanat on these moron Yanks.... what's wrong with them..... when will they understand that AQ doesn't get to walk freely on the streets......

The only thing that can top this stupidity is, some trigger happy operator of a drone unleashes a hellfire missile on the streets of NY....... just thinking....... bhawawwawawawawawawawawawawa....... :D

With the advancement in technologies,and prosperity in life some people evolve into being more and more stupid:usa:. Congrats Darwin,you rock!

Harlem? That's the worst place in nyc. I'm surprised he wasn't shot. It wasn't racial, I know people there. They just did it for fun. They just said those things because verbal abuse is based on looks.

Yahoo! News

“Frankly, they don’t know who we are, they don’t know we’re a distinct religion,” said Jasjit Singh, the executive director of the Sikh American Legal Defense and Education Fund. About half of Americans think Sikhism is a sect of Islam, the group’s research has found, and most Americans think of terrorism in association with the turban. “The figure they most commonly associate with a turban is Osama bin Laden,” he said.

Singh, the Columbia professor, was a leading advocate for the FBI to include Sikh Americans in its hate crime statistics, which the agency recently agreed to do. Attacks against Sikhs were formerly lumped together by the FBI with anti-Muslim crimes. But Singh argued that specific anti-Sikh bias also occurred, quoting portions of white supremacist websites that called for all Sikhs to “go home” to India.

“The government must begin tracking and counting anti-Sikh hate crimes, just as it must continue to vigorously combat bias and discrimination against all Americans, including Muslims,” Singh wrote in the New York Times last year.

Ironically, the professor may now be among the first to be included in the specific Sikh hate crime category he lobbied for, Jasjit Singh said. The NYPD's hate crime task force is looking into the incident.

“It’s incredibly sad,” Singh told the Daily News. “It’s not the neighborhood I know. I work in this community. It’s just not American.”

Am I the only one who sees the contradictions here?

The man is mistaken for a Muslim and was attacked for that. And the same man advocated, and got included in the specific Sikh hate crime category because of an incident where the attackers thought he was a Muslim and not a Sikh (as if they knew what Sikhism is).

What the heck is going on here?

Sikhs are soft targets. Used go through Harlem all the time for cheap cigarettes.

The biggest mosque in nyc is in Harlem. Never seen anyone get messed wit over there.

Bceharey PrOfessor Sardar ko Osama bana diya. They say hate is blind

Unfortunate incident

Harlem? That's the worst place in nyc. I'm surprised he wasn't shot. It wasn't racial, I know people there. They just did it for fun. They just said those things because verbal abuse is based on looks.

It is the responsibility of government to implement its laws in Harlem. Why left it as worst place?

Sikhs are soft targets. Used go through Harlem all the time for cheap cigarettes.

The biggest mosque in nyc is in Harlem. Never seen anyone get messed wit over there.
Lol bro, it's because we're not like those british pakistanis. I hear people mess with them all the time. But we real niggas in new york dont let no cow worshipper to turban head mess with us. I still wonder why there is such a difference between us and british pskistanis. Plus some black people are muslims there. Usually got converted in jail and got street rep so no one messes with them.

Bceharey PrOfessor Sardar ko Osama bana diya. They say hate is blind

Unfortunate incident

It is the responsibility of government to implement its laws in Harlem. Why left it as worst place?

Trust me, america is not a 3 world shithole. The laws are still there and implemented, it's just that gang activity outweighs police activity.

Edit- that guy looks so damn innocent, makes me feel even more bad for him.

He should have fought back, the kaale don't respect runners. If he had fought back next time they won't bother him but now he is easy target. :disagree:

There is law there but it is a high crime area. There are some areas you have to be wise about is all.

@BloodyPak96 even the brit Pakistanis hold it down, what you talking about? :pop:

Last edited by a moderator:
@BloodyPak96 even the brit Pakistanis hold it down, what you talking about? :pop:

Nah they ***** niggas. Some sikh mob went to go beat them up and they didn't even retaliate. If that **** happened here you can gurantee there's gonna be a gang fight the next day. Pakistanis here don't take **** from anyone.

Everyone brace yourself !! The internet hindus are coming!! You know the ones that get kicked irl but find strength online.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nah they ***** niggas. Some sikh mob went to go beat them up and they didn't even retaliate. If that **** happened here you can gurantee there's gonna be a gang fight the next day. Pakistanis here don't take **** from anyone.

They will retaliate, maybe after a while but they always do. Yeah we don't but we also are busy at war with one another. If you know about the Pakistani "crews" here they are all at war with other Pakistanis. :cuckoo:

They will retaliate may be after a while but they always do. Yeah we don't but we also are busy at war with one another. If you know about the Pakistani "crews" here they are all at war with other Pakistanis. :cuckoo:

Nah they mostly fight bengalis. Some bengali tried to make me work for his crew threatening me. But i can always call on my pakistani bros to back me up. It felt good when they kicked that bengali ***. I always wanted older brothers and now i got them. But we don't do any drugs or kill people. We just look out for each other. Feels good man :pakistan:

Odd isn't it both make the national news on the same day teenagers assault a Sike Indian in USA an Muslims kill 78 Christians in a church in Pakistan

Back
Top Bottom