PDF THINK TANK: ANALYST
Reaction score
Country
United States
DAWN
Tuesday, December 02, 2008

India may take Mumbai attacks to UN council
By Iftikhar Gilani

NEW DELHI: India may take the Mumbai terror attacks to the United Nations (UN) Security Council if Pakistan does not take “appropriate steps against those who planned and mounted the attacks from its soil”, according to an Indian all-party meeting – with new Home Minister Palaniappan Chidambaram vowing to respond to the attacks with ‘determination and resolve’.

A sort of consensus emerged at the five-hour meeting at Prime Minister’s House on Sunday night that the government should hand the Pakistani high commissioner a demarche setting a time limit for his government to take action. Leaders said if the move was not followed by an ‘appropriate response’, India should take the issue to the UN Security Council as a ‘punitive measure against Pakistan’ – with the idea to invoke the UN resolution on terrorism, according to sources.

It seems like the logical forum for India to make its case against the perpetrators of Mumbai would be in the UN Security Council where all could see their evidence. They could then seek UN agreement on a course of military action if they felt it was necessary.

It seems like the logical forum for India to make its case against the perpetrators of Mumbai would be in the UN Security Council where all could see their evidence. They could then seek UN agreement on a course of military action if they felt it was necessary.

they don,t have ayn evidence all i seen are media fantasies

Last edited:
Agreed..That's the best solution..

they don,t have ayn evidence all i seen is media fantasies

Well, if they don't have any real evidence, then that will also be clear if they HAVE to present what they "know" to the world in public! I'm thinking that they should be pressured to go to the UN Security Council BEFORE they take any unilateral actions against any other state.

Well, if they don't have any real evidence, then that will also be clear if they HAVE to present what they "know" to the world in public! I'm thinking that they should be pressured to go to the UN Security Council BEFORE they take any unilateral actions against any other state.

From next time this should be the case, even for US. What say?.

From next time this should be the case, even for US. What say?.

The US always takes it's actions first to the UN Security Council. If it doesn't like the resolutions that result then it vetoes them. Very simple, don't you see? ;)

The US always takes it's actions first to the UN Security Council. If it doesn't like the resolutions that result then it vetoes them. Very simple, don't you see? ;)

I don't think so. It has first attacked Afghanistan and then collected evidence. In the case of Iraq, hmmm... no comments. US has always attacked other countries out of conviction and then gathered evidence. I can also give other examples like attack on Libya (for a bomb blast happened in Berlin discotheque) during Ronald Reagan's time.

I don't think so. It has first attacked Afghanistan and then collected evidence. In the case of Iraq, hmmm... no comments. US has always attacked other countries out of conviction and then gathered evidence. I can also give other examples like attack on Libya (for a bomb blast happened in Berlin discotheque) during Ronald Reagan's time.

Touche', I agree. The record is mixed. There have been as many times when the US struck first, and explained second, as the reverse. (Grenada, Panama and the Sudan drug factory ....). But in this case, with all the world watching, the UN route would be best for India.

What I understand about situation currently is that the GoP hasn't refused to act against groups that might be behind the Mumbai attacks - the demand from our side is one of India cooperating and providing evidence so we can act.

While India could obtain a resolution condemning the attacks, I fail to see on what basis it would demand sanction for intervention in Pakistan, since we haven't denied the Indians cooperation.

It would seem to me that India would have to show convincing evidence against the perpetrators of the Mumbai attacks, and then also conclusively show that despite providing Pakistan with all the evidence and information, Pakistan refused to act.

Last edited:
I fail to see on what basis it would demand sanction for intervention in Pakistan, since we haven't denied the Indians cooperation.

It would seem to me that India would have to show convincing evidence against the perpetrators of the Mumbai attacks, and then also conclusively show that despite providing Pakistan with all the evidence and information, Pakistan refused to act.

They have asked for the 20 "terrorists" on their list. I'm just pointing out that the UN Security council is a forum that "might" allow the issue of "controversial evidence" to be resolved in a fair manner, before any air strikes are launched.

They have asked for the 20 "terrorists" on their list. I'm just pointing out that the UN Security council is a forum that "might" allow the issue of "controversial evidence" to be resolved in a fair manner, before any air strikes are launched.

The issue is over what exactly should we do with a list of names if it isn't accompanied by evidence?

Are we supposed to merely hand over people without evidence, without a trial, without due process? People in Pakistan are already quite mad about the illegal transfer of suspects into US custody abroad, and they should be.

Enough of this rendition and Gitmo crap. If the evidence exists, then the perpetrators should be tried in court.

The issue is over what exactly should we do with a list of names if it isn't accompanied by evidence?

Are we supposed to merely hand over people without evidence, without a trial, without due process? People in Pakistan are already quite mad about the illegal transfer of suspects into US custody abroad, and they should be.

Enough of this rendition and Gitmo crap. If the evidence exists, then the perpetrators should be tried in court.

You should read this post

http://www.defence.pk/forums/233862-post44.html

Thanks, but Pakistan has quite explicitly stated that DI and TM are not in Pakistan. If they were, I would be in complete support of 'handing them over', since they are Indian nationals.

I would like to point out that even in the case of DI and TM, nothing has been offered in terms of evidence linking them to the Mumbai attacks- the evidence mentioned is related to older cases. I have referred to how DI operates his businesses with impunity in the Middle East. The Indian media has also been full of reports on how his businesses and networks are still active in India! Why hasn't India shut down his network at home?

dawood nephew is married to javed miandad daughter.wedding took place in karachi. are trying to fool yourself or me.. From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
Dawood Ibrahim

Wanted Dawood Ibrahim by Interpol
Born December 26, 1955 (1955-12-26) (age 52)
Ratnagiri, Maharashtra India
Occupation Drug smuggler, Money launderer, Underworld Don, Crime Boss, Terrorist
Spouse(s) Zubeena Zareen (Mehajabeen)

Dawood Ibrahim (Urdu: داوود ابراهيم), b. December 26, 1955, also known as Dawood Ebrahim, and Sheikh Dawood Hassan, birth name Sheikh Dawood Ibrahim Kaskar, is the head of the organized crime syndicate D-Company in Mumbai. He is currently on the wanted list of Interpol for organised crime and counterfeiting.[1] He was No. 4 on the Forbes' World's Top 10 most dreaded criminals list of 2008.[2]

Ibrahim is accused of heading a vast and sprawling illegal empire. His name has become a byword in political, business and law enforcement circles. After the Bombay Blasts in 1993, which Ibrahim allegedly organized and financed, he became India's most wanted man. He absconded from India and now, according to the Indian government, is believed to be hiding in Pakistan, which the Pakistani government denies.

After that incident, most of his key Hindu mobsters and even few Muslims went against him bringing down his empire. In 2003, the United States Government declared Dawood Ibrahim a "global terrorist" and pursued the matter before the United Nations in an attempt to freeze his assets around the world and crack down on his operations after significant diplomatic lobbying by the government of India. The Bush Administration, under advisement from the Indian Government, has imposed sanctions on Ibrahim.[3] Although Pakistan denies any knowledge of his existence, Indian intelligence agencies, such as Research and Analysis Wing (RAW), believe that Dawood currently resides in Karachi, and is provided protection, by the Pakistani intelligence agency, Inter Services Intelligence. [4]

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom