What's new

Russian Phazotron-NIIR Corp. ready to develop a new advanced radar jointly with India

Screaming Skull

Reaction score

Monday, Sep 21, 2009

MOSCOW: As the race in the Indian Air Force’s $10-billion tender for 126 combat jets reached the crucial stage of flight trials, Russia, on top of a full technology transfer, is offering India help in building its own advanced radar. This would put India in the elite league of manufacturers of some of the most sophisticated defence equipment.

“We are ready to develop a new advanced radar jointly with India,” said Vyacheslav Tishchenko, head of the Phazotron-NIIR Corporation. The company has built Russia’s first Active Electronically Scanned Array (AESA) radar, Zhuk-ME, for the MiG-35 fighter, the Russian contender in the IAF tender for the Medium Multi-Role Combat Aircraft (MMRCA). Two planes will go to India next month for flight evaluation trials.

Also in the fray are the U.S. F-16 and F-18, the French Dassault’s Rafale, the Swedish Saab Gripen and the Eurofighter Typhoon. Transfer of technology is a prime requirement in the MMRCA tender, but as far as the radar is concerned, Russia alone seems prepared to meet the demand in full. “Out of six-seven countries in the world that have the know-how to build radars for combat jets, only two — Russia and the U.S. — domestically produce the full range of radar components,” Phazotron’s chief designer Yuri Guskov said.

Raytheon, the U.S. company that manufactures radars for the F-18 fighter, has already said it would only transfer “limited” technology “up to the level the U.S. government allows us.”

This means America’s European competitors in the MMRCA tender will also face restrictions on the transfer of technologies sourced from U.S. companies.

Russia is the only bidder which does not depend on the U.S. for any aircraft technologies, including the radar.

The Hindu : Front Page : Russia ready to help India build its own advanced radar

it looks like this Deal gonna split between Russia and the US..... now the things are getting really interesting.

Money..the Russians want money.

All I can say is stay away from putting all eggs in the Russian basket.

Monday, Sep 21, 2009

Vladimir Radyuhin

MOSCOW: “We have pledged 100 per cent technology transfer for the MiG-35, including the radar and all its systems,” Tishchenko, General Director of the Russian company, Phazotron, told The Hindu.

“Moreover, if India wants to build its own fifth-generation AESA radar, we could set up a joint venture for the job modelled on the Brahmos Aerospace Ltd. [an Indo-Russian JV that has built the superior Brahmos supersonic anti-ship missile],” he said.

“We are prepared to share with India our 60-year-long experience of designing radars that has gone into building Zhuk-AE, which is as good as any Western radar today.”

The Russian offer could come in handy as India struggles to build an AESA radar small enough to fit into its Tejas light combat aircraft. Russia’s Zhuk-AE is the smallest radar among all entrants in the MMRCA tender.

Even as India recently sourced some avionics for its Russian-built fighter jets from other countries, it has consistently stuck with Russian radars. Phazotron has provided new radars for the MiG-21 and MiG-29 upgrades, while the other Russian radar manufacturer, Tikhomirov NIIP, has supplied radars for the Su-30 MKI fighter.

Aviation experts say the on board radar accounts for 40 per cent of a modern fighter plane’s combat capabilities.

“If India masters the AESA radar technology it would be a milestone achievement comparable to sending a man to space or building a GPS communication system,” said arms export analyst Konstantin Makienko of Russia’s CAST think-tank.

The Hindu : International / India & World : Russian firm offers full technology transfer

India is building a AESA radar for the LCA..when this turn up?

Come on guys...face it.. We are not going to but F16, F18 as they are American and they are not reliable suppliers

EF is too steep a price..
We are getting MiG 35 MKI.
===
LCA will be obsolete by the time it will turn up....
Is F 16 obsolete ?
It was inducted at the time of MiG 21's.
Think before you speak dear.

Come on guys...face it.. We are not going to but F16, F18 as they are American and they are not reliable suppliers

EF is too steep a price..
We are getting MiG 35 MKI.
===

Is F 16 obsolete ?
It was inducted at the time of MiG 21's.

Nope..dear. The Mig-21 is a 60's aircraft the F-16 is a 80's aircraft.

India will be crazy to keep buying inferior Russian stuff with American equipment available.

Nope..dear. The Mig-21 is a 60's aircraft the F-16 is a 80's aircraft.

India will be crazy to keep buying inferior Russian stuff with American equipment available.

inferior russian stuff?? if you read about the Zhuk-AE its clearly superior to what americans have. get your facts right.

Let the time tell..... we get better result for wht we did in Sukhoi program..... regarding LCA...I recommend u to visit more defence forum.... there are people who actully worked on the system.....LCA don't have engine problem only.. it does have problem in fuel distribution system.... uneven bracks....also..... HAL is getting tough time to manufacture its Air frame.....EADS is already joint this project....as its engine EJ2000 is in the race.....

Just like u I am also Indian...... and I am ready to delete the post.... if anything in this holds untrue.

Let the time tell..... we get better result for wht we did in Sukhoi program..... regarding LCA...I recommend u to visit more defence forum.... there are people who actully worked on the system.....LCA don't have engine problem only.. it does have problem in fuel distribution system.... uneven bracks....also..... HAL is getting tough time to manufacture its Air frame.....EADS is already joint this project....as its engine EJ2000 is in the race.....

Just like u I am also Indian...... and I am ready to delete the post.... if anything in this holds untrue.

Which year are you in mate?...Those problems were rectified in PT-2 . The only problem LCA faces is lower thrust engine. And LCA airframe is the easiest to build and maintain by HAL. Stop quoting BR to me as they posted it long time back and the same guys have posted the rectifications.

i dont think - it will be a wise option to go for - russian fighter for the - radar jv.

may be it will better we can have a good comparision between - american and russian - aesa.

one edge american have is : tried n tested.

Which year are you in mate?...Those problems were rectified in PT-2 . The only problem LCA faces is lower thrust engine. And LCA airframe is the easiest to build and maintain by HAL. Stop quoting BR to me as they posted it long time back and the same guys have posted the rectifications.

Neither I am member of BR.. nor I am quoting any BR member... do u have any neutral source to back.

i dont think - it will be a wise option to go for - russian fighter for the - radar jv.

may be it will better we can have a good comparision between - american and russian - aesa.

one edge american have is : tried n tested.

buddy,did the yankees offer us a jv or full tot for AESA radar???.....NOOO.....so we have only two other options-1-make it ourselves.......2-the russian jv offer.........i prefer the second option.

i am sorry - but i didnt mean those two -statment ot be together.

1. i dont think we should go for russian mig-35 , for the relaxation of - j.v of aesa.

2. for aesa - i think it will be better if we compare the russian and american - aesa. americna aesa have a upper hand because of their alreayd being inducted aspect.

--but i agree JAKO- if the jv is not attached with - mrca , i think we should go for j.v

Back
Top Bottom