Remittances exceed India’s IT export earnings: World Bank

Bhai Zakir

BANNED
Reaction score
Country
India
Remittances exceed India’s IT export earnings: World Bank

gfx-remittances-new2.jpg

Remittances from Indians overseas totaled $71 billion in 2013, making India the top destination for a record 6 years in a row, reveals a recent report by the World Bank(WB). In 2012, India had received over $69.5 billion. China comes second again, with $60 billion remitted. Together, India and China make up nearly a third of total remittances to the developing world.

In 2012, India’s IT exports had totaled $69.7 billion.

Overall, developing nations received $414 billion this year, a 6.3% rise from 2012. The magnitude of such remittances is expected to reach $540 billion in 2016.

According to the Ministry of Overseas Indian Affairs, as of May 2012, around 21.9mn Indians were living abroad, with the USA being the preferred choice of more than 2.2 million Indians, followed by Saudi Arabia (1.78mn) and the UAE (1.75mn). Kerala, Gujarat, Maharashtra, and Punjab are the maximum inward-remittance generating states, according to the RBI. The largest remittances came from the UAE, at $15.6 billion, and USA ($11.9 billion) in 2012.

In recent months, the rupee has weakened considerably vis-à-vis the dollar, and a surge in remittances is expected as non-resident Indians take advantage of cheaper goods, services and assets back home, says the WB report.

Shedding light on the issue, Kaushik Basu, senior vice president and chief economist of the World Bank, said, “These latest estimates show the power of remittances. For Bangladesh, remittances provide vital protection against poverty. In terms of volume, India, with $71 billion of remittances, tops the global chart. To put this in perspective, this is just short of three times the FDI it received in 2012. Remittances act as a major counter-balance when capital flow. Also, when a nation’s currency weakens, inward remittances rise and, as such, they act as an automatic stabilizer.”

Remittances received by other developing countries were as follows: Philippines ($26 billion), Mexico ($22 billion), Nigeria ($21 billion), and Egypt ($20 billion). Other large recipients include Pakistan, Bangladesh, Vietnam, and Ukraine.

Remittances exceed India

That's because of the exchange rate. i know at least 3 people who closed their loans at home in india using the high exchange rate:)

That's because of the exchange rate. i know at least 3 people who closed their loans at home in india using the high exchange rate:)

There was neither any noticeable devaluation of rupee and nor any significant inflation during 2012.

There was neither any noticeable devaluation of rupee and nor any significant inflation during 2012.

All i said was more people remitted cuz of the exchange rate being better. was that so hard to understand? the whole of 2012 had 69 billion. but by the 9 month we already have 71 billion this year.

All i said was more people remitted cuz of the exchange rate being better. was that so hard to understand? the whole of 2012 had 69 billion. but by the 9 month we already have 71 billion this year.

I guess it is blackmoney stashed by Congies rooting it's way back in election year.

Back
Top Bottom