What's new

Refitted Viraat more lethal

Android

BANNED
Reaction score
Country
India
ABOARD INS VIRAAT: The Indian Navy’s largst warship, INS Viraat, having served the nation for 25 years, has been given a new lease of life with its service being extended to 2018.
The vessel is as tall as a 13-storey building and has several essential services and recreational features for its 1,200 strong crew. It has a huge library and even a daily newspaper-Viraat Times - is published aboard.
A typical day on the Viraat begins at 6.15 am with tea; soonafter a bugle is followed by an announcement: “All personnel to be on deck for PT.” Routine duties and training programmeskeep the men busy till 5.30 pm, when most sailors disembark. A complement of 60 men stays behind. At daybreak, the sailors get ready for work. But not before breakfast. This is where Master Chief Petty Officer Balram Debnath comes in. Debnath rises at 4 am and gets the galley going. It’s not just poori-sabzi or dal-roti here; the galley’s cooks can make finger-licking good Thai and Chinese food. “Breakfast has to be served at 6.30 am and lunch at 11.15 am whether the ship is sailing or not,” says Debnath. His men have hi-tech tools like the chapatti maker which can churn out around 8,000 chapattis in an hour. The ship’s in-house bakery makes fresh cakes. The ship sails with rationsenough for two months at sea.
Mast Chief Officer Avatar Singh Rawat is an old Viraat hand, oneof the crew that sailed the aircraft carrier from the UK to India. He served on it for six years, and has been transferred back after Viraat’s two major life-extending refits. Asked what has changed, he beams: “Now we even get television signals at sea.” Viraat is now a modern ship, with swanky cabins, more open spaces and easy-to-maintain floors. There’s even a rooster on board which came with the trophy when the Viraat won the Pulling Boat Regatta.
Viraat can handle nuclear, biological and chemical warfare.There’s a hi-tech headquarter on board to deal with such situations. “From 1987 to now Viraat has got the best of radarsthat can pick up the incoming missile at extended ranges. We also have an electronic warfare system. Our best weapons are the aircraft equipped with Derby air-to-air missiles and 1,000-pound bombs. The Viraat has also recently acquired a self defence capability with Israeli Barak missiles,” says Commander Manoj Jha, the Executive Officer. Isn’t she too old for this sort of thing? Says Jha: “She may be old in years but her lethality has only increased.”
With the Admiral Gorshkov coming to India as the INS Vikramaditya in a year or two, and the aircraft carrier INS Vikrant by 2015, India may have three such lethal carriers soon.

Refitted Viraat more lethal - South India - Tamil Nadu - ibnlive

haha yep old is gold... btw why is india extending life of viraat... i'm afraid because of it soo old something might happen...

haha yep old is gold... btw why is india extending life of viraat... i'm afraid because of it soo old something might happen...

thanks for your concern..........but just have a look at her.....she can serve till 2018 for sure-

insviraat.jpg

I think we should keep it running until we got sufficient number of aircraft carriers in the sea. More the better. Force projection

How many active Harriers we have now? Maybe we should buy some used Harriers from UK, or some AV-8Bs from US.

Maybe we should go for 10-15 more, whadd'ya say?
We already have 45 Mig29ks on order and Tejas Navy will be easily ready by 2015, the time first Vikrant class carrier comes into being. Tejas MK-II and a yet to be chosen MRCA fighter will equip Vikrant-II, whose details are yet to be finalized as in sky-jump or catapult launched, heli or fixed wing AWACS etc. etc.

Where are they going to put Tejas Mk-II?
IAC-2 should be big enough to house Su 33's or even Rafale. Possibly F-35. Tejas and MiG are simply not cut for >2025.

Bl[i]tZ;2908799 said:
11 strike, 2 trainer.

Maybe officially, in operational terms we have waaaay less. I remember the exercise with French CdG carrier, where Viraat had just a handful Harriers available.

They sold most of their Harriers to the USMC at very cheap rates, not sure if or how many there are left, but I had prefered them instead of N-LCA. INS Viraat should be changed to a helicopter carrier and send to the Gulf of Aden / Arabian Sea area to fight pirats.

in 2006 we had approached them for about 10 harriers . but they refused the transfer of them with Blue Vixen radar. they did not want us to have BVR capability with it . so it fell through .

They sold most of their Harriers to the USMC at very cheap rates, not sure if or how many there are left, but I had prefered them instead of N-LCA. INS Viraat should be changed to a helicopter carrier and send to the Gulf of Aden / Arabian Sea area to fight pirats.
I agree with you also i have read somewhere the current harriers only available at 2014-2015 after that what are the role it play.

Back
Top Bottom