What's new

Rape fear keeps US students out of India: Nancy Powell

^^^
such protests are unheard of in china. because protesters know what will happen to them ! :P
They are simply shot or dissapear, i seen protests, they put a piece of paper on the ground or foothpath with photographs and kneel down silently in front of them, if anyone cares to look at them or worry about them that is,in the end that silent protest too is unbearable to police and they get thrown off that place or told to go away.

There's no rape epidemic in china, naturally you don't see such protest taking place
Haha, there was a chinese girl raped by another chinese near my university,the police came to take him, but the news never came in the news nor did it get to local paper.That guy was son of some CCP leader.I saw how you report rapes in china, so don't kid me.:rofl:

Recently there was news that some high ranking generals sons gangraped a girl and she pardoned them off the case for 1million yuan i think, do read about it.

Here is another article with video in case you say its fake.
Embedded media from this media site is no longer available
]
Wife Beaten and Raped While Cowardly Husband Hides Nearby – chinaSMACK

Last edited:
Yes but the problem is much more severe in India for the reasons I have established earlier. How else do you explain the wide spread public outrage? You can claim that the US and a hundred other countries are worse off but that does not help make women in your country any safer.

LOL. The problem is so sever in the US that people have stopped talking about it. Rape is considered a way of life in the US.

In a civilized nation like India, Rape is still considered a horrific crime, unlike in the US. That is the reason you see such public outrage. That and the general public anger against poverty, corruption and an broken justice system. It has more to do with General anger against the govt.

As a matter of fact, consider the amount of Rape in the US, Women in India is actually more than 18 times safer or 1800% safer. In fact even the men are safe from Rape in India :woot:

The mention of this issue or word sent Indians bonkers so you will see they are not ready to discuss it at all.

I feel the difference between such cases in the West/US and subcontinent is that the victim or public in West/US are hopeful of justice and fair treatment whereas in our part of the world it is NOT there.

you will see exceptions there but in our part of the world almost every rapist roam free

I sympathies, I admit my response was prompted by an Indian member asking Americans to stay out of India. Having visited India once I do not wish to return, I am too sensitive to witness human suffering of the magnitude I saw in India to come back from the experience unscathed.

To be fair, the rape conviction rate in India is higher than most developed countries including the United States. But when victims fail to report the crime then the legal system has failed irrespective of how successful the system is in bringing rapist to justice.

This is what happens with Indians take pleasure in running down our country and our people.

This is what happens when Americans and rest of the world exploit our inferiority complex and use it to make a laughing stock of us.

We all Reap what we Sow. The next time you feel the urge to criticize India in a global forum, remember this and take a hard look at yourself in the mirror.

You are right.Our media know only one item.sensationalism .Speculation also a problem.Our economy is in this situation,not only because of our policymakers but also our speculation oriented junk media.
Especially national media.

I sympathies, I admit my response was prompted by an Indian member asking Americans to stay out of India. Having visited India once I do not wish to return, I am too sensitive to witness human suffering of the magnitude I saw in India to come back from the experience unscathed.

To be fair, the rape conviction rate in India is higher than most developed countries including the United States. But when victims fail to report the crime then the legal system has failed irrespective of how successful the system is in bringing rapist to justice.

Right, but when it comes to Rapes, there is absolutely no point in hiding the problems in your own country , more than enough links have been provided to prove that there is a Massive Rape epidemic in the U.S , but the difference is , In India these rapes are reported very often , but in the mean time in the U.S they are brushed under the carpet ...

Your Sympathies lies as long as you have ammunition to keep throwing mud at other people's misery and then to Generalize an entire society of Indian Men as being Rapists , More than enough links and facts have been provided to put all your claims to dust

The Outrage in India is because we care , there is no outrage in US because you people are living in Denial ... SO yeah Keep throwing mud and keep using Rapes to generalize an entire community, while we are busy fixing our social problems you are busy pointing other peoples problems while your own country tanks when it comes to social issues ....

This is a Surprise coming from you actually, i thought you would look at these situations with more empathy , not use it as Ammunition.... What a Shame..

Let's be fair. Rape is older than the oldest profession (*wink*wink* if you know what I mean).

In most western countries, the term rape is replaced by sexual assault. The definition of sexual assault is very broad. Unwanted touch is considered sexual assault. So the statistics is questionable for any country.

Even using a restricted definition for rape - actually penetration, the legal aspect of it varies from country to country. So it is difficult to compare the real numbers and percentage.

In the west, we have
a. statutory rape - an 18 year old having sex with a sixteen year old willingly is rape... questionable
b. incest - definitely wrong
c. violent rape - definitely wrong
d. unwilling intercourse in the heat of passion and regret later...questionable
e. drunken or drug induced intercourse and regret later....questionable
f. there are many others situations...

In the end, only YOU know what is right or wrong.

Haha, there was a chinese girl raped by another chinese near my university,the police came to take him, but the news never came in the news nor did it get to local paper.That guy was son of some CCP leader.I saw how you report rapes in china, so don't kid me.:rofl:

Recently there was news that some high ranking generals sons gangraped a girl and she pardoned them off the case for 1million yuan i think, do read about it.

Here is another article with video in case you say its fake.
Embedded media from this media site is no longer available
]
Wife Beaten and Raped While Cowardly Husband Hides Nearby – chinaSMACK

Go back and read my post again. Keyword "epidemic." Use a dictionary if you're unsure. No Rape epidemic doesn't mean no rape.

JesusFacepalmAndThusTheLord.jpg

Right, but when it comes to Rapes, there is absolutely no point in hiding the problems in your own country , more than enough links have been provided to prove that there is a Massive Rape epidemic in the U.S , but the difference is , In India these rapes are reported very often , but in the mean time in the U.S they are brushed under the carpet ...

The Outrage in India is because we care , there is no outrage in US because you people are living in Denial ... SO yeah Keep throwing mud and keep using Rapes to generalize an entire community, while we are busy fixing our social problems you are busy pointing other peoples problems while your own country tanks when it comes to social issues ....
India cares, that is hilarious. Did you know that one in two marriages in India is of a female minor?
Did you know that experts estimate 3 million female infants were murdered in India between 2000 and 2010?

Trash Bin Babies: India's Female Infanticide Crisis - Ranjani Iyer Mohanty - The Atlantic

India backs out of UN resolution on child marriage - Hindustan Times

India loses 3 million girls in infanticide - The Hindu

India cares, that is hilarious. Did you know that one in two marriages in India is of a female minor?
Did you know that experts estimate 3 million female infants were murdered in India between 2000 and 2010?

Trash Bin Babies: India's Female Infanticide Crisis - Ranjani Iyer Mohanty - The Atlantic

India loses 3 million girls in infanticide - The Hindu

Right...should i start linking pedophilia stats from the U.S ? Have your senses gone so out of control ? Is it soo hard for you to believe that this problem is there the world over especially in the U.S ? Classic case of closet Racism , "those Evil Indianz are all Rapistz and us Americans are glowing Angels of peace and Happiness and Respect" :disagree: You just proved my point ...these stats and links are nothing more than ammunition to you... India cares..because we are the only country out there to actually protest rape in mass make proper laws and rules and actually give death sentence.... The fact is ....you are absolutely no different than these people ...both have a complete and utter lack of Empathy ..am not gonna link pedophilia stats from the US as i am not going to fall as low as you have.. You Disgust me ...

I have already pointed out and proven quite clearly how western civilizations are far worse when it comes to Rapes and abuses on woman...pointing fingers at India is not gonna change that ..

and btw 1 in 2 being female minor marriages is utter nonsense ..

and yes..do the read the links before you actually paste them to avoid Embaressement ..

Last edited:
and btw 1 in 2 being female minor marriages is utter nonsense ..

and yes..do the read the links before you actually paste them to avoid Embaressement ..

Clearly you have a reading and comprehension problem. 47% of all marriages in India involves a female child, that is one in every two marriages.

At 47%, while India has the 14th highest rate of child marriage in the world behind countries like Bangladesh (66%), Niger (75%), Chad (72%) and Mali (71%), it has the largest number of child brides – an estimated one-third of the global total.

Also, I'm happy to offend and disgust you. That may get some of the Indians here to do something to change the sorry state of India.

Last edited:
i have no cure for your obsession though i have valid links for 2013 data too but i leave you with your obsession

You should feel ashamed for posting outdated gibberish。

And you don't, which speaks volumes about the character of ordinary Indians。

Clearly you have a reading and comprehension problem. 47% of all marriages in India involves a female child, that is one in every two marriages.

Also, I'm happy to offend and disgust you. That may get some of the Indians here to do something to change the sorry state of India.

Fix your own social issues before pointing fingers at India ... A country who has a Rape epidemic should not be pointing fingers at someone else .. All i see here is the "head in the sand" disorder .

Is India the Rape Capital of the World? | MORE Magazine

Americans are reading with horror as sexual assault after sexual assault unfolds in India. It’s easy to wonder, “What’s wrong with that country?” But we should be asking what’s wrong with the United States, too.

Rape and violence against women are a massive problem in India. According to the country's National Crime Record Bureau, crimes against women have increased by 7.1 percent since 2010. The number of rapes reported has also risen. Nearly one in three rape victims in India is under the age of 18. One in 10 are under 14. Every 20 minutes in India, a woman is raped.

And yet India only ranks third for the number of rapes reported each year. What country ranks first? The United States. In India, a country of over 1.2 billion people, 24,206 rapes were reported in 2011. The same year in the United States, a nation of 300 million, 83,425 rapes were reported. In the United States, every 6.2 minutes a woman is raped.

Even if sexual assault in India is dramatically underreported, which most likely it is, the statistical difference is still striking—as is our uniquely American inclination to dismiss such monstrous human rights violations as problems that other countries face. Not only is violence against women a global pandemic but the United States may be leading the pack.

Oh, but you think, women who've been sexually assaulted in America are better treated. Rape victims in India, especially in rural villages, are often subject to shaming and considered unfit for marriage. But meanwhile, in Steubenville, Ohio, two young men who were convicted of raping a 16-year-old girl too intoxicated to consent continue to be defended as upstanding football players while the reputation of the young woman is smeared. When the verdict was announced, a CNN reporter came close to portraying the rapists as passive victims: “These two young men that had such promising futures, star football players, very good students, literally watched as they believed their lives fell apart.” Other media coverage seemed equally sympathetic to the perpetrators.

Meanwhile, the victim was blamed. Early on, one of the 19 coaches of the Steubenville High football team said the victim was just making up the rape. The victim and her family had to get police protection due to the level of threats against them. Two weeks ago, a prominent local activitist in Steubenville spoke about the “alleged victim” (even though the allegations had turned into a conviction) and suggested, according to a reporter, that the victim “might have been a willing participant”. Meanwhile, the woman who broke the story of the rape—she is a local blogger—has been harassed and threatened.

Isolated incident of smearing and shaming the victim? Afraid not. Just weeks after the Steubenville story broke, two high school football players in Torrington, Connecticut were accused of raping a 13-year-old girl. The response? Dozens of people from the town took to social media to berate and blame the 13-year-old accuser.

Mallika Dutt runs Breakthrough, an organization that works to build human rights culture in India and the United States. Dutt says the differences between the two countries are more perceived than real. “There’s an assumption that [in America] we’re more evolved, that we’re more civilized, that the status of women is waaaaay better than the status of women in India or any other part of the world,” says Dutt.

That's untrue, says Dutt, and the false comfort may do Americans more harm than good. “It's always easier to ascribe negative attributes to the other than to than yourself,” she says. But such denial means we focus on the problems elsewhere to the detriment of improving conditions here in the United States as well. Violence against women anywhere should be a reminder to scrutinize injustice everywhere, including right here at home.

The encouraging fact is that while the U.S. still ranks first in the world for reported rapes, the number is declining here while statistics suggest India is moving in the other direction. In the U.S. the rate of reported rapes decreased by over 12 percent between 2002 and 2011. Over the last two decades, rates of domestic violence have dropped by more than 50 percent. And while only half of Americans in 1987 said it is "always wrong" for a man to beat his wife with a belt or a stick, a decade later 86 percent said it is wrong. That’s progress. But from Dallas to Delhi and everywhere in between, there’s still much more progress to be made.

Is it so hard for you to accept that your western culture is also worse if not as bad as India ? Stop this unethical behavior , while you see Indians here accepting the rape problem adn trying to fix it we have people like yourself being completely ignorant of the problems u-in your own country and gleefully pointing fingers at others

@cirr its the effect of false pride and broken bubbles when they suddenly find out their own country is doing far worse .. While we Indians will fix our society , punish the perpetrators on the other hand things seem to be going in reverse over there.

You should feel ashamed for posting outdated gibberish。

And you don't, which speaks volumes about the character of ordinary Indians。

who has asked you to drop in between my chats, and care about your own character before teaching others

oh sorry but i forgot that you are another character made by god who is highly obsessive its not your fault then

Yeah OK. Stay at home. Rape rates are higher in US than India.

I understand patriotism but this is just a blatant lie.

REPORTED rape is higher in the US. And even in the US it is underreported. Imagine how severe the underreporting is in underdeveloped countries.

I understand patriotism but this is just a blatant lie.

REPORTED rape is higher in the US. And even in the US it is underreported. Imagine how severe the underreporting is in underdeveloped countries.

there you have the truth ! same as my post !!

Back
Top Bottom