What's new

Qaeda suspects kill 3 Yemen Generals

UmarJustice

New Recruit

Reaction score
ADEN: Suspected Al-Qaeda gunmen on Wednesday shot dead three air force generals from a strategic southYemenair base used by US soldiers last year to train local forces in combating terrorism, the army said.

“Three pilot officers were martyred this morning by unknown gunmen... as they were heading to work in Al-Anad air base,” said the defence ministry on its website 26sep.net. The ministry said that the officers were met “by a barrage of gunfire from two men on a motorbike”. It identified them as three of the “most qualified pilots” - General Mohsen al-Meqdad, General Nasser al-Ban, and General Talal Shehab.

A military official at the base had told AFP that “gunmen shot dead three pilots ... north of Huta (the provincial capital) as they were heading towards Al-Anad air base,” adding that the killers were “suspected of belonging to Al-Qaeda.” The victims were earlier reported to be colonels.

The military official said that two gunmen carried out the attack using Kalashnikov assault rifles.

Another army official said the officers trained pilots at the base, built by the British who ruled southYemenuntil it became independent in 1967.

Officials said last year that Al-Anad air base was being used by US soldiers to train local forces in the fight against terrorism.

Western diplomats at the time said American experts were helping the army in the battle against Al-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula (AQAP).

Al-Qaeda was driven out of most of its strongholds across south Yemen in an army offensive backed by US drone strikes last year. The weakened militants have withdrawn to mountainous regions in several provinces.

At the peak of the offensive in May and June 2012, AQAP - classified by Washington as the global network’s deadliest branch - published a list of names of Yemeni pilots based at Al-Anad which it vowed to target for conducting air strikes against its hideouts.

Many officials named have since been killed. The names of the three generals killed on Wednesday were not on the list, however.

In October 2012, the army foiled a car bomb attack on Al-Anad targeting American soldiers, military officials said.

Police and army officers come under frequent attack, with authorities blaming Al-Qaeda for the assaults which are usually carried out by gunmen on unregistered motorbikes.

In a bid to clamp down on the increasing number of such attacks, authorities earlier this year launched a campaign ordering unlicensed bikes off the streets.

Despite being weaker, Al-Qaeda continues to launch hit-and-run attacks on government and civilian targets across Yemen.

Residents said militants linked to the Ansar al-Sharia group have been distributing posters and leaflets in several towns across Lahij and Hadramawt provinces in the southeast, threatening members of the security forces and urging jihad (holy war).

“Ansar al-Sharia are coming,” read graffiti scrawled in Huta.

AQAP is led by Nasser al-Wuhayshi who in July 2011 reaffirmed its allegiance to Ayman al-Zawahiri, head of the worldwide Al-Qaeda network, after US forces in May killed its founder, Osama bin Laden.

Qaeda suspects kill 3Yemengenerals

Yemen is currently in turmoil. With the presence of the two highly profile terror groups -AlQedea and the Huthis- I suspect Yemen will prosper.

Yemen is currently in turmoil. With the presence of the two highly profile terror groups -AlQedea and the Huthis- I suspect Yemen will prosper.

This poses a grave danger to KSA national security and stability, Yemen is no Afghanistan, it's next to you, yet you need to do all of your best to help Yemen stands on it's feet. Fighting Qaeda would help very little, poverty, illiteracy, and corruption are the real reasons that push people to embrace such extreme ideologies. We all as Arabs and Western countries need to work together to address those issues and do what is necessary to help out. I say KSA in specific because it's the most that it would be affected. You have helped pretty well but Yemen needs more.

This poses a grave danger to KSA national security and stability, Yemen is no Afghanistan, it's next to you, yet you need to do all of your best to help Yemen stands on it's feet. Fighting Qaeda would help very little, poverty, illiteracy, and corruption are the real reasons that push people to embrace such extreme ideologies. We all as Arabs and Western countries need to work together to address those issues and do what is necessary to help out. I say KSA in specific because it's the most that it would be affected. You have helped pretty well but Yemen needs more.
No, we won't clean them up. Let them leave among each other and kill themselves. We could have had got rid of them when the war in our boarders took place back in 2010. Nowadays, we signed a contract with Bin laden construction company to build an ENORMOUS wall to block anybody from coming in and out with a length of 2000kms

No, we won't clean them up. Let them leave among each other and kill themselves. We could have had got rid of them when the war in our boarders took place back in 2010. Nowadays, we signed a contract with Bin laden construction company to build an ENORMOUS wall to block anybody from coming in and out with a length of 2000kms

Let who kill eachother? Qaeda and Yemeni security forces?

No, I was referring to Al-Qedea and Al-Huthis ..

Are they at war :woot:, I had no idea, I mean I heard of skirmishes between them but not war. Actually I doubt they would finish eachothers, they would just finish Yemen. Don't leave voids in Yemen for Iran to fill.

Are they at war :woot:, I had no idea, I mean I heard of skirmishes between them but not war. Actually I doubt they would finish eachothers, they would just finish Yemen. Don't leave voids in Yemen for Iran to fill.

Yes they're. The confront one another on regular daily basis. Don't The society of Yemen is completely isolated. Nearly %99 of their brawls take place in remote areas and sure! Yemen will never fall into the hand of the Safavids xD.

Yes they're. The confront one another on regular daily basis. Don't The society of Yemen is completely isolated. Nearly %99 of their brawls take place in remote areas and sure! Yemen will never fall into the hand of the Safavids xD.

I really don't think this will work out, Yemeni government need help to stand and keep the country under control, Zaziedis are 45% of Yemeni population, yet they can't be defeated in a night, it's the same as Syrian uprising, the longer it takes for the Syrian regime to step down the worse it will get. Pls, Zaidies ideology is closer to Sunni than Shia, then you need to figure out a plan to get them away from Iran. Yemen can't move forward while it's people are fighting eachother.

You guys have such obsession with iran that can't talk in a thread without puting an Iran there even if the news have no relation with Iran.

Why did they kill them,what have yemeni generals to do with the west?
These days, Yemen is falling under a chos or a havoc if you would. There are two terro groups in Yemen; causing a lot of noise and social unrest. The first group is AlQedea and the second is the Hauiths funded and supported logistically by Iran. These two terror group won't stop until they kill one another. Fortunately though, the fight each others in the mountains and remote area which is good for the Yemeni people.

You guys have such obsession with iran that can't talk in a thread without puting an Iran there even if the news have no relation with Iran.

Stop funding the Hauthis and we won't talk about Iran as much as we're now. :D

Stop funding the Hauthis and we won't talk about Iran as much as we're now. :D

proof ? where is your proof ?
both Houtis and Iran denied these allegation . If we support a group will say it as we proudly every where are saying we support Hezbollah .

if you can show me concrete evidence that we support them and also in this situation a country north of Yemen is far more to blame

Sure let's break the ice first and the truth shall be revealed.
proof ? where is your proof ?
both Houtis and Iran denied these allegation . If we support a group will say it as we proudly every where are saying we support Hezbollah .

if you can show me concrete evidence that we support them and also in this situation a country north of Yemen is far more to blame
Materialistic proofs​
NYTimes
Here
And Here
And This

Solid proofs

Last edited by a moderator:
Sure let's break the ice first and the truth shall be revealed.

Materialistic proofs​
NYTimes
Here
And Here
And This

Solid proofs

I guess you knew these things are called allegation not proof .
and even in the text they doubted the validity of these allegation and said that these monarch usually tend to blame Iran for their internal problems

by the way Yemen president was nothing more than a dictator and monarch so please don't come with the argument that Yemen was not a kingdom and monarchy

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom