What's new

Properties and Capabilities of Heat

A1Kaid

PDF THINK TANK: ANALYST
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
For those of us interested in science,

I am really fascinated by heat, it is said to be the lowest quality of energy that exist and yet it is very prevalent and very capable and essential energy. It is found in biological systems i.e homeostasis, exothermic reactions, chemistry, fire, convection current in Earth's mantle and convection on the surface of the Sun, black body radiation, kinetic energy generates heat, and many other forms and properties.

Heat can even transform the state of a matter or element, from solid to liquid (i.e ice to liquid), and if heat is high enough to gas and plasma state. It has many applications, so many I cannot name them all here. In military applications the heat signature of a vehicle can be detected by thermal imaging and sensors.

Anyone else fascinated by this amazing form of energy?

Take a look at this video at how heat (in the form of hot water) causes sublimation of dry ice. This is possible because the added heat to the system increases the thermal energy of the molecules allowing them to overcome the intermolecular forces holding them stationary, hence the molecules in the system than 'exit' the system as vapor, transforming the dry ice from solid to gas (processes known as sublimation).

Dry Ice Sublimation - YouTube

Back
Top Bottom