What's new

PML (N) announces its 'Chief'?

Tiger Awan

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
The Spokesman Pakistan - PML (N) announces its 'Chief'?

That the PML (N) virtually announced their choice for the next Chief of Army Staff has largely gone unnoticed in the ongoing political chaos.

The party manifesto is one big jumble of policy statements. But few noticed that the PML (N) also chose the occasion to announce that, as a matter of policy, it would follow the seniority principle in the promotion of the army chiefs in future. This virtually decides the name as far as the PML (N) is concerned. Now, we are not saying that the PML (N) has a name for which the statement was made or it has a plan that it wants to follow. But it does narrow down the choice to a small selected group of senior officers.

Assuming that the PML (N) comes to power and it does not extend the tenure of the army chief any further, or even if the army chief is not interested in extension, who will be the next Army Chief.

This may be a little early and a ‘little’ sensitive but this (sort of) opens a whole new debate. If one follows the seniority principle, the biggest question that emerges is the timing. Basically, it all depends on when the important decision is taken.

General Ashfaq Kayani is from the 45th PMA Long Course and retires on 29th November, 2013. If the General decides to retire early or the government makes the decision prematurely, the officers retiring before him also become candidates.

Though unlikely, but in technical terms, even Chairman Joint Chiefs (CJCSC), General Khalid Shameem Wynne also stands a chance as he retires in October 2013. A possibility exists that the Air Force and the Navy may reassert their turn for appointment of CJCSC this time around. According to the Constitution, this post is supposed to rotate among the forces but the Army has retained it for more than 10 years now.

Otherwise, the senior most officer is Lt Gen Khalid Nawaz Khan who retires in August 2013. He is from the 51st PMA Long Course and served his entire tenure (of Lt Gen) as the all important X-Corps Commander. He hails from a military family and is from the same region (broader village area) as General Kayani. He is also from the same arm, the Baloch regiment, as the Chief. The second in line is Lt Gen Alam Khattak, Corps Commander Quetta, also from the 51st Course, who retires in September 2013.

But if the principle is followed in strict accordance, in simple words, the man who stands next in line after Kayani’s retirement is Lt Gen Haroon Alsam. He is from the 52nd PMA Long Course and retires in 2014. He has served in the crucial Military Operations Directorate as a Brigadier (DMO). He also oversaw the Swat operation as the SSG head besides commanding the Bahawalpur Corps. He is now one of the PSOs in GHQ.

But then what if some other party makes the next government or the PML (N) changes it policy. Then the government will have a choice to select from a list of seniors generals as has been the case, not always with good results, in the past.

The incumbent Chief, in that case, plays a role. He could be asked for advice and suggestions. The decision about the Army Chief is usually taken a few months before the retirement of the incumbent for what is called as “a smooth changeover.”

We are not getting into any speculation, despite being Sheshnag, but here is the list of senior officers who might become our next chiefs.

The next in line of seniority is Lt Gen Rashad Mahmood (52 PMA) who retires in 2014. He served as Lahore Corps Commander and is now the all important CGS at GHQ. Lt Gen Raheel Shareef (54 PMA) retires in late 2014. A former PMA Commandant, he serves as a PSO in GHQ after commanding a Corps in Gujranwala. He is also the brother of Nishan-e-Haider, Major Shabeer Sharif Shaheed. Then comes Lt Gen Tariq Khan (55 PMA). He was IGFC in KP during the military operations in Bajaur and now serves as the Mangla Corps Commander. He retires in October 2014. Lt Gen Muhammad Zahir Ul Islam (55 PMA) comes next and shares with Kayani his home area as well as his last post. He served as Karachi Corps Commander before becoming ISI Chief. Lt Gen Salim Nawaz (55 PMA) served as IGFC Balochistan. The next in the seniority list are Lt Gen Khalid Rabbani, Lt Gen Muzammil Hussain, Lt Gen Sajjad Ghani, Lt Gen Ahsan Mahmood, Lt Gen Muhammad Asif, Lt Gen Abid Pervaiz and Lt Gen Javed Iqbal.

Let’s hope we don’t have to go further down the list. Shhhhh

According to the Constitution, this post is supposed to rotate among the forces but the Army has retained it for more than 10 years now

on this thing I fully agree with the pmln's decision that seniority should be the only parameter to promotion for COAS as far as our situation is concern.

about this rotating, I am not sure if its true or not.. as far as I know US Chief comes from Navy all the time, as its the most powerful institution among the three armed forces !

but if the constitution says so that it must rotate, then it must !

on this thing I fully agree with the pmln's decision that seniority should be the only parameter to promotion for COAS as far as our situation is concern.

about this rotating, I am not sure if its true or not.. as far as I know US Chief comes from Navy all the time, as its the most powerful institution among the three armed forces !

Count me in.

You are misinformed. Not true.

I think the PML(N) policy on CoAS is good news especially because it stops Generals wanting to be favourites of the political party in power. The extension given to Kayani and accepted by him probably did substantial damage to the professionalism in the PA. It was not as if the PA had only good man, constant rotation at reasonable intervals is both necessary & good for an organisation . If the PML(N) sticks to that line, it will stop the jostling for position within PA & help in creating a sense of continuity & certainty.

Joint Chiefs of staff comes from any branch.

Rotation and Seniority are both flawed formulas.

We should have committee of top generals deciding on the COAS and a vote from the chiefs of each branch to choose CJCSC

I think the PML(N) policy on CoAS is good news especially because it stops Generals wanting to be favourites of the political party in power. The extension given to Kayani and accepted by him probably did substantial damage to the professionalism in the PA. It was not as if the PA had only good man, constant rotation at reasonable intervals is both necessary & good for an organisation . If the PML(N) sticks to that line, it will stop the jostling for position within PA & help in creating a sense of continuity & certainty.

That's Why

http://www.defence.pk/forums/nation...-pml-n-has-most-experienced-team-deliver.html

2013 Pakistan................Needs PMLN:cheers:

Pakistan Defence Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom