What's new

PM Gilani’s ancestors founded Golden Temple, says Singh

pkd

Reaction score

THIMPHU: India’s Prime Minister Manmohan Singh revealed that the ancestors of the Prime Minister Syed Yousuf Raza Gilani laid foundation of Sikhs’ worshipping place in Amritsar Golden Temple, Geo News reported Thursday.

He was talking to leaders in lighter mood during a luncheon hosted by Bhutan’s premier on the occasion of the 16th South Asian Association for Regional Cooperation (SAARC) Summit.

The Sikh PM of India said the Sikh people living across the world including India were well aware of the role of the PM Gilani’s forefathers in building the Golden Temple; accordingly, he was revered a lot.

The PM Singh also unfolded that followers of Yousuf Raza’s ancestors lived in India in large number.

Indian PM meeting Pakistani PM in Thimpu today......

l2010042928396.jpg

Is he talking about the Sufi Saint Mian Mir who laid the foundation stone of the Golden temple?

Is he talking about the Sufi Saint Mian Mir who laid the foundation stone of the Golden temple?

yes dear!
Mian ji is my great, great, great......................great grandfather.
The YRG is a bit too distant. The shrine of Mian ji is walking distance from our Haveli . YRG's garndpa used to stay at our haveli whenever he came to Lahore.

2 years back daler mehdi came to our haveli & one of our relatives showed him gifts given to Mian ji from Baba ji. Our family takes care of the shrine like it always did.

yes dear!
The YRG is a bit too distant. The shrine of Mian ji is walking distance from our Haveli . YRG's garndpa used to stay at our haveli whenever he came to Lahore.

2 years back daler mehdi came to our haveli & one of our relatives showed him gifts given to Mian ji from Baba ji. Our family takes care of the shrine like it always did.

Wow.. I am amazed. You mean to say that you're a direct progeny of Mian Mir? You and your family have my respects.

My ancestors (Bhai Behlo) also laid foundation of Golden Temple's Sarovar if I recall correctly. The Guru was so much pleased with his devotion and service that he blessed him by saying Bhai Behlo Sab To Pehlon (Bhai Behlo, you are the first of all). Bhai Behlo also accompanied the marriage party of the Guru.

His real name was Behlol Choudhary. Now we use Brar and Sidhu surnames. My ancestral village is Bambiha Bhai.

Wow.. I am amazed. You mean to say that you're a direct progeny of Mian Mir? You and your family have my respects.

Yes, we are directly from his progeny.
Likewise brother! The locality we lived in is called Mian Mir actually but they changed it to Upper Mall in Lahore a while back.
BTW, Sikh pilgrims from India & elsewhere always stop by at his shrine every year & are greeted very warmly at the shrine!

You may not know this but when Dara brought his father, the Empror Shah Jahan, he was made to wit for 20 minutes or so before he was granted audience with Mian Mir.

Yes, we are directly from his progeny.
Likewise brother! The locality we lived in is called Mian Mir actually but they changed it to Upper Mall in Lahore a while back.
BTW, Sikh pilgrims from India & elsewhere always stop by at his shrine every year & are greeted very warmly at the shrine!

You may not know this but when Dara brought his father, the Empror Shah Jahan, he was made to wit for 20 minutes or so before he was granted audience with Mian Mir.

I know. I have heard about this incident.:)

Originally Posted by atmi_chuza View Post
"Yes, we are directly from his progeny.

You may not know this but when Dara brought his father, the Empror Shah Jahan, he was made to wit for 20 minutes or so before he was granted audience with Mian Mir."

@ atmi_chuza
Thanks for telling us.

From Wikipedia:
"Baba Sain Mir Mohammed Sahib (c. 1550 – 11 August 1635), popularly known as Mian Mir, was a famous Sufi saint who resided in Lahore, specifically in the town of Dharampura (in present-day Pakistan). He belonged to the Qadiri order of Sufism. He is famous for being a spiritual instructor of Dara Shikoh, the eldest son of Mughal emperor Shah Jahan. He is identified as the founder of the Mian Khail branch of the Qadiri order."

Your family is part of History and Heritage.
My Salaams to the "Buzurgs".
Actually, in recent years i have been trying (in a small way) to understand the Sufi movement which is such a rich tradition of pluralism in this part of the world.
Again thanks for sharing.

@ atmi_chuza
Thanks for telling us.

Your family is part of History and Heritage.
My Salaams to the "Buzurgs".
Actually, in recent years i have been trying (in a small way) to understand the Sufi movement which is such a rich tradition of pluralism in this part of the world.
Again thanks for sharing.

My pleasure bro! It is very nice to see such sentiments & I am deeply moved!. I ll see if I can find Daler mehdi's pictures that my uncle took in Lahore!

yes dear!

Sir my deep respect and reverence to your family.... Cannot express my words to you......

Please also post pics of gifts that you are talking about given to Mia Mir jee or any old pics or paintings you might have...I am getting greedy.... Didnt think that this msg board would have such a company.... Thanx

Last edited:
My ancestors (Bhai Behlo) also laid foundation of Golden Temple's Sarovar if I recall correctly. The Guru was so much pleased with his devotion and service that he blessed him by saying Bhai Behlo Sab To Pehlon (Bhai Behlo, you are the first of all). Bhai Behlo also accompanied the marriage party of the Guru.

Respect and Reverence to your family......

Back
Top Bottom