What's new

Pentagon report: Indian Navy's new submarine hunter is ineffective

nik22

Reaction score
Country
India
From Ajai Shukla's news stable:
----
An unexpected and worrying question mark has been placed over the Indian Navy's expensive new Boeing P-8I multi-mission maritime aircraft (MMA), which were bought to allow the navy to monitor the Indian Ocean and to destroy enemy submarines that it detected.

According to a Bloomberg news report, the US Department of Defense (Pentagon) has found that the US Navy’s version of the aircraft, the P-8A, is ineffective at both surveillance, and in detecting and destroying submarines.

Michael Gilmore, the Pentagon’s chief weapons inspector, has reported that the P-8A “is not effective for the intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance mission and is not effective for wide area anti-submarine search”, according to Bloomberg, which cites Gilmore’s annual report on major weapons.

The Indian Navy, which has bought eight P8-I aircraft for US $2.1 billion, is Boeing’s first international customer for this platform. Its cutting-edge sensors, radios and submarine-killing weaponry are integrated onto a special Boeing 737 aircraft, giving it the endurance to fly 1,100 kilometres to a patrol area, remain “on station” for six hours, and then fly back to base.

Yet the Pentagon’s report, which has not been officially released, points out flaws in the aircraft’s radar performance, sensor integration and data transfer. It says that current version of the P-8A had not overcome “major deficiencies” identified in combat testing in 2012-13.

Contacted for a response, the Indian Navy and the MoD did not reply. The Boeing Company has declined to comment, stating that the Pentagon report had not been officially released. The US embassy in New Delhi did not respond to an emailed request for comments.

For Washington, as for New Delhi, this news is worrying. The first P-8A of 117 that the US Navy plans to buy was deployed to Kadena, in Japan. It is operating along with others in the tense maritime environment of the Sea of Japan, tracking Chinese submarines. The three P-8Is already delivered to India (with five more due to come by 2015) are based at Arakonam, near Chennai, to watch over India’s 7,500-kilometre coastline and the ocean stretch from the Strait of Malacca to the Strait of Hormuz.

In November, the US Navy had declared the P-8A ready for combat deployment, while admitted that the US Navy had developed “software upgrades to correct deficiencies.” Vice Admiral Robert Thomas, who commands the US 7th Fleet, backed the P-8A, stating on January 10 that it “represents a significant improvement” over the P-3 Orion, which it replaced in the US fleet.

The P-8I’s sensors include a Raytheon multi-mode radar to detect aircraft, ships and submarines, while another belly-mounted radar looks backwards, like an electronic rear-view-mirror. When a submarine is suspected, the aircraft drops sonobuoys into the water, which radio back suspicious sounds. A “magnetic anomaly detector” on the P-8I’s tail also detects submarines. The P-8I can destroy ships and submarines with Harpoon missiles, Mark 82 depth charges and Mark 54 torpedoes mounted on the aircraft.

From Ajai Shukla's news stable:
----
An unexpected and worrying question mark has been placed over the Indian Navy's expensive new Boeing P-8I multi-mission maritime aircraft (MMA), which were bought to allow the navy to monitor the Indian Ocean and to destroy enemy submarines that it detected.

According to a Bloomberg news report, the US Department of Defense (Pentagon) has found that the US Navy’s version of the aircraft, the P-8A, is ineffective at both surveillance, and in detecting and destroying submarines.

Michael Gilmore, the Pentagon’s chief weapons inspector, has reported that the P-8A “is not effective for the intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance mission and is not effective for wide area anti-submarine search”, according to Bloomberg, which cites Gilmore’s annual report on major weapons.

The Indian Navy, which has bought eight P8-I aircraft for US $2.1 billion, is Boeing’s first international customer for this platform. Its cutting-edge sensors, radios and submarine-killing weaponry are integrated onto a special Boeing 737 aircraft, giving it the endurance to fly 1,100 kilometres to a patrol area, remain “on station” for six hours, and then fly back to base.

Yet the Pentagon’s report, which has not been officially released, points out flaws in the aircraft’s radar performance, sensor integration and data transfer. It says that current version of the P-8A had not overcome “major deficiencies” identified in combat testing in 2012-13.

Contacted for a response, the Indian Navy and the MoD did not reply. The Boeing Company has declined to comment, stating that the Pentagon report had not been officially released. The US embassy in New Delhi did not respond to an emailed request for comments.

For Washington, as for New Delhi, this news is worrying. The first P-8A of 117 that the US Navy plans to buy was deployed to Kadena, in Japan. It is operating along with others in the tense maritime environment of the Sea of Japan, tracking Chinese submarines. The three P-8Is already delivered to India (with five more due to come by 2015) are based at Arakonam, near Chennai, to watch over India’s 7,500-kilometre coastline and the ocean stretch from the Strait of Malacca to the Strait of Hormuz.

In November, the US Navy had declared the P-8A ready for combat deployment, while admitted that the US Navy had developed “software upgrades to correct deficiencies.” Vice Admiral Robert Thomas, who commands the US 7th Fleet, backed the P-8A, stating on January 10 that it “represents a significant improvement” over the P-3 Orion, which it replaced in the US fleet.

The P-8I’s sensors include a Raytheon multi-mode radar to detect aircraft, ships and submarines, while another belly-mounted radar looks backwards, like an electronic rear-view-mirror. When a submarine is suspected, the aircraft drops sonobuoys into the water, which radio back suspicious sounds. A “magnetic anomaly detector” on the P-8I’s tail also detects submarines. The P-8I can destroy ships and submarines with Harpoon missiles, Mark 82 depth charges and Mark 54 torpedoes mounted on the aircraft.

Something wrong in here.A few days ago these guys published news that IAF critcize FGFA as ineffective.No P-8i .I think some one in defence try to discourage the imports from foreign countries.

oppss... bad news. very bad news for IN:eek:
Not really.
- First, this report would highlight deficiency of Platform.Boeing would focus to fix
- IN does not have any choice.

IN is a new user. They will not be able to identify everything on their own. It is better to get things fixed during peace time

Something wrong in here.A few days ago these guys published news that IAF critcize FGFA as ineffective.No P-8i .I think some one in defence try to discourage the imports from foreign countries.

He is just trying to prove that he is not biased, don't fall for it.

Any differences between P8-A and P8-I ?
There is some difference in sensors and some things which US does not sell to other countries. Specially when India did not sign those two agreements

He is just trying to prove that he is not biased, don't fall for it.
Actually he is not trying to prove anything this time. Just reporting a news, classic way. Not an investigation or fabricated story.

well in my Opinion Its a False Report Boeing is not that Dumb and somebody don't just throw Billions of $$$$ for for its development most of all Boeing is also manufacturer of p3 Orion of if anyone thinks with its Brain a Huge company like Boeing cannot make mistakes like this and Indian Navy is not a 10 year Child if they have selected Boeing P-8 Poseidon Its gonna be Something Wicked :warning2:

well in my Opinion Its a False Report Boeing is not that Dumb and somebody don't just throw Billions of $$$$ for for its development most of all Boeing is also manufacturer of p3 Orion of if anyone thinks with its Brain a Huge company like Boeing cannot make mistakes like this and Indian Navy is not a 10 year Child if they have selected Boeing P-8 Poseidon Its gonna be Something Wicked :warning2:

Report could be true & may be USN founds some defects but our local stupid south asian defence journalists
can make mountain from the mole.

convert them to civil instal all economy class sets and give them to air india they can carry 135 passengers:D:enjoy: peace win:partay:

boeing-737-photo-002.jpg

awww boohoo, well i dont believe what America says, to be honest i like India more than America, NOW SEND YOUR SUBMARINE And BEAT THE SHIT OUT OF AMERICA, I AM CHEERING FOR YOU AS LONG AS YOU DON'T ATTACK US

awww boohoo, well i dont believe what America says, to be honest i like India more than America, NOW SEND YOUR SUBMARINE And BEAT THE SHIT OUT OF AMERICA, I AM CHEERING FOR YOU AS LONG AS YOU DON'T ATTACK US
lol, attack america. not even in wild dreams!

convert them to civil instal all economy class sets and give them to air india they can carry 135 passengers:D:enjoy: peace win:partay:

I know you are not being serious. A Boeing 737 cost less than $50. This plane is like $275 million

even if they has some problem,according to the article,can be overcomed by Software Patch,just like Patriot Missile...that means software platform may have some bug or some problem..no big deal... :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom