What's new

Peepli Live Destroys Farid Zakaria's Myth of "Peaceful, Stable and Prosperous" India

RiazHaq

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Released on India's independence day, independent film "Peepli Live" highlights the problem of farmers' suicides in India--some 200,000 of them have taken their own lives in the last ten years. But it does more than just satirize this unfolding tragedy; it also demolishes the carefully crafted image of "Peaceful, Stable and Prosperous India" that has been widely promoted in the Western media by the likes of the CNN show host Fareed Zakaria through his TV show and his book "The Post-American World".

Peepli Live is a dark comedy that revolves around the lives of two brothers, Natha (Omkar Das) and Budhia (Raghuvir Yadav), who lose their farm because they fail to repay their bank loan. As they seek help from the local muscle men, politicians and bureaucrats, they are told that the only way to get any financial help from the government is for one of them to commit suicide. As their story is picked up by a TV anchor woman named Nandita Malik (Malaika Shenoy) in Delhi, there is a parade of state and federal bureaucrats and politicians and more media people who get involved, each interested in exploiting the situation for his or her own benefit. Along the way, everyone gets satirized, including the media. The filmmakers do not even shy away from showing open defecation, a practice that affects two-thirds of India's population.

So far, India's mainstream media and entertainment industry have been complicit in Zakaria's myth making by shying away from highlighting the serious subjects of poverty, hunger and deprivation that affect the vast majority of Indians. In fact, there have been accusations of "peddling poverty ****" against the few western reporters and filmmakers who have produced films like "Slumdog Millionaire".

Given that sensitivity in India's mainstream film industry, it is not a surprise that Anusha Rizvi, the director of "Peepli Live", is not from the film world. Most of the actors in the film are not from Bollywood either; they are from the theater world. The movie was well received a the Sundance film festival in the United States this year. Bollywood star Aamir Khan's help appears to have also helped in getting greater attention to the low-budget film.

Here is a clip from Ms. Rizvi's interview that describes her background:

Question: "Did you always want to be a filmmaker?

Answer: I never wanted to be a film director. That happened by accident. I studied History at St Stephens College, Delhi, and then did a human rights course at Jamia (Millia) University. Later, I joined NDTV because that seemed like the most logical thing to do. I worked in the production department for four years, and then became a reporter in Mumbai. After that, I quit after because I wanted to make documentaries.

During this time, I also got involved in reviving Dastangoi, the dead art form of storytelling in Urdu, along with Mahmood."

In spite of rave reviews for her work, Ms. Rizvi remains pessimistic about any solution to the problem of farmers' suicides in India. "Absolutely nothing will happen, the whole state is doing nothing, how can you think that some people will see it and feel the pinch on what they are doing themselves?" she told IANS.

Peepli Live is a well-made satirical film. I highly recommend it.

Haq's Musings: "Peepli Live" Destroys Indian Myths

Haq's Musings: 63 Years After Independence, India Remains Home to World's Largest Population of Poor, Hungry and Illiterates

I appreciate this film for bringing about the farmer suicide problem which was a major issue 2-3 years ago when there were less than normal monsoon rains and all the farmers who depend on monsoon had to bear losses and in some cases they have committed suicide due to debt burden.

Self-criticism is always good for country to make constructive contributions and solve the problems facing the country. But some people seek to score cheap shots to increase hits to their blogs or to satisfy their hurt ego. Very pathetic mindset.

Hi,

Take my word for it please---no insults and no pun intended---as I posted in another thread---.

India has decided that for it to progress---it needs to depend and ride the welfare of the technology advancement. The payoff is higher---the investment is more---workers are highly paid---more educated people and much higher exposure of a highly technical indian worker to the world market.

This thousands fold higher than average income---and a million fold higher than average investment would change the face of a certain number of indians, the cities and states where that investment comes to---. These employees who are being paid a very high wage would also spend most of it thus creating a bigger job market for dependant services.

India is focussed on its 20 % of population to take it through the first quarter of the 21st century---. By the time they are in the second quarter of this century---the effects of this development would be much much rewarding and would trickle down to the bottom.

In the end---india will come out ahead and the masses would have a better oppurtunities.

Released on India's independence day, independent film "Peepli Live" highlights the problem of farmers' suicides in India--some 200,000 of them have taken their own lives in the last ten years. But it does more than just satirize this unfolding tragedy; it also demolishes the carefully crafted image of "Peaceful, Stable and Prosperous India" that has been widely promoted in the Western media by the likes of the CNN show host Fareed Zakaria through his TV show and his book "The Post-American World".

Peepli Live is a dark comedy that revolves around the lives of two brothers, Natha (Omkar Das) and Budhia (Raghuvir Yadav), who lose their farm because they fail to repay their bank loan. As they seek help from the local muscle men, politicians and bureaucrats, they are told that the only way to get any financial help from the government is for one of them to commit suicide. As their story is picked up by a TV anchor woman named Nandita Malik (Malaika Shthe serious subjects of poverty, hunger and deprivation that affect the vast majority of Indians. In fact, there have been accusations of "peddling poverty ****" against the few western reporters and filmmakers who have produced films like "Slumdog Millionaire".

Given that sensitivity in India's mainstream film industry, it is not a surprise that Anusha Rizvi, the director of "Peepli Live", is not from the film world. Most of the actors in the film are not from Bollywood ei
Answer: I never wanted to be a film director. That happened by accident. I studied History at St Stephens College, Delhi, and then did a human rights course at Jamia (Millia) University. Later, I joined NDTV because that seemed like the most logical thing to do. I worked in the production department for four years, and then became a reporter in Mumbai. After that, I quit after because I wanted to make documentaries.

hly recommend it.

Haq's Musings: "Peepli Live" Destroys Indian Myths

Haq's Musings: 63 Years After Independence, India Remains Home to World's Largest Population of Poor, Hungry and Illiterates

Great...... now you go and watch the movie if you get time after showing so much concern for your neighbors.

Get a life..... Its high time.

But if its your daily bread winner, please continue the good work.

What I find funny is that a Bollywood movie is used to debunk a news report. I mean, if I believed the contents of all bollywood movies that come out :rofl:

Is nt it amazing how desperate he is, to find ways as to write pieces of things to make this country look bad.

So sad that there are no takers.

Lets wish him best of luck and send a free DVD of "peepli live" movie when released.

Hi,

Take my word for it please---no insults and no pun intended---as I posted in another thread---.

India has decided that for it to progress---it needs to depend and ride the welfare of the technology advancement. The payoff is higher---the investment is more---workers are highly paid---more educated people and much higher exposure of a highly technical indian worker to the world market.

This thousands fold higher than average income---and a million fold higher than average investment would change the face of a certain number of indians, the cities and states where that investment comes to---. These employees who are being paid a very high wage would also spend most of it thus creating a bigger job market for dependant services.

India is focussed on its 20 % of population to take it through the first quarter of the 21st century---. By the time they are in the second quarter of this century---the effects of this development would be much much rewarding and would trickle down to the bottom.

In the end---india will come out ahead and the masses would have a better oppurtunities.

That's true, development has to start somewhere and it is natural that the better skilled will be the first to benefit from it…and in the course of time the effects are going to tickle down to the bottom…however, GoI has to catalyze the effect

Is nt it amazing how desperate he is, to find ways as to write pieces of things to make this country look bad.

So sad that there are no takers.

Lets wish him best of luck and send a free DVD of "peepli live" movie when released.

I dont think it makes India looks bad. It just shows another side of India (and large parts at that), not typically captured by Indian film makers/Media.

I must add the last few years have changed Bollywood for the better and media for the worse (especially TV)...the breaking news of scandals will lead to a lot more accountability...well atleast the corrupt will be more cautious and will tend to deliver a bit more for the common man even while pocketing millions compared to today. But the TV news is also getting yellow papered....but bollywood is getting 'there' with improving content and larger audiences...

There is NO problem in exposing one's 'underbelly'...its a short term embarassment but with long term gains (as this will force us to address core inequity in our society/culture and provide better environment)....eventually the people 'gloating' at the exposes today will be left with no belly's to point out....

and I dare say...they dont seem to be looking at their own 'under belly'...which means they wont be just eating their words...they might be not eating anything at all.

Mr. Khan. In 2006, 53% India's wealth was owned by the Top 10% of its population, whereas the Bottom 50% had a share of just 8% (Source: BBC NEWS | South Asia | Key facts: India rising). The gap is expected to widen further, with nearly 60% of India's wealth to be owned by the Top 10% of its population in the near future. Therefore, there is no doubt that India is currently following the pre-Revolution French model (maybe inadvertently), where the Aristocracy (modern day Elites) depend on the peasants (the lower class, or the bottom 50%) and the noblemen (the middle class, approximately 25% of India) heavily, but must keep them down in the gutters. Hence, politics come into play, carrot and stick tactics come into play, and so on.

We all know how that model ended up. The poor can not and will not see the rich get richer for too long, and this is true for any country, not just India. If this really is the model India plans to continue, it doesn't bode well for them. Countries around the world strive to, sometimes, slow down their growth so as not to sideline a huge chunk of their population.

For example, it is not in Canada's best interests to spend a lot of money on the Oil Sands in Alberta while ignoring the needs of the rest of the country, despite the fact that the Oil Sands are the greatest natural resource Canada possesses after fresh water and timber (neither one of which can be sold for the same value as Oil). Canada wants to grow in that sector, but in a controlled way. Their approach is, hence, the opposite as that of India.

Now, compare India's wealth distribution to Pakistan's wealth distribution, which is much more uniform and by far the better way to go in the opinion of most economists. For Pakistan, the Top 10% own 27.6% of the wealth, whereas the Bottom 50% own 26.5%. The middle-class, therefore, owns between 40% to 50% f the national wealth (Source: http://www.nationsencyclopedia.com/economies/Asia-and-the-Pacific/Pakistan-POVERTY-AND-WEALTH.html)
Polarization is not a good tactic. India currently relies heavily on cheap labor for its growth, and therefore, for it to continue its growth, it must keep providing the international community with cheap labor (technical and non-technical). It is in the interest of the Top 10% of India to keep the gap with the Bottom 50% as wide as possible for as long as possible, because it provides them with greater opportunities.

Here's what I mean. For common Indian to start benefiting from this growth, the wages must go up and so must the quality of life. This, in turn, will increase the cost to do business, and deplete the cheap labor, thus making India a less desirable place to do business. This cycle feeds on itself. Not to mention that increased polarization will compound India's political, ideological, ethnic and secessionist problems.

Now, let's come to my preference. I would prefer a slow, gradual growth spread out over many decades, rather than an inflating bubble that could burst (Dubai) or unhealthy growth resulting in polarization (India) or even growth only at the governmental level rather than the population (China). I prefer the post-World War II Japan model. It's brought them far, and made their society stronger rather than weaker.

Great .

Now bollywood movies become indicators of a nations status or progress. Comedy movies should then show India as a nation of fun & games !!

Great .

Now bollywood movies become indicators of a nations status or progress. Comedy movies should then show India as a nation of fun & games !!
Well, I haven't even watched the movie, nor do I watch many Indian movies at all. Amir Khan is the only actor that gets me to watch an Indian movie. But, if your comedy movies were used to judge your nation's sense of humor, then apart from a select few (Andaz Apna Apna, 3 Idiots, original Hera Pheri), they would indicate that you are a nation of very low standards of humor. I mean, we're talking fart-jokes and "yo mama" level comedy here.

Thankfully, I've had enough Indian friends throughout my lifetime for me to know that Indians can be, in fact, quite funny. It's the movies that let you down.

Back
Top Bottom