What's new

Pakistan's largest private steel plant ready for production

SHAMK9

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
LAHORE: Pakistan's largest steel producing mill in the private sector, Tuwairqi Steel Mills Limited, is ready for commercial production in the first week of January 2013.

It will cater not only steel needs of the country but also export value-added products to other countries.

The setting up of the mega project would entice foreign investors in the country.

The mega project of over $350 million is mainly sponsored by Saudi Arabian-based Al Tuwairqi company (ISPC) and Posco of South Korea.

These views were expressed by TSML Director Project Zaigham Adil Rizvi at a seminar held at a local hotel on Monday. He was flanked by chief guest Engineering Development Board CEO Qazi Abdadullah.

EPZA Chairman Saadat Cheema, POSCO Resident Director Young-Ho Yoo, Punjab Health Minister Khawaja Sulman Rafique, Nespak Vice President Iftikhar Qazi, Banu Mukhtar CEO SM Assad, Izhaar Group CEO Marghoub, Shajarpak MD Khawaja Usman, Midrex Commissioning Managers Paul Jaimungal Singh, Waddington Stawrt Godfrey and MMTE Plant Manager Masoud Darvishi also speak on the occasion.

Posco-South Korean steel giant - has invested $16 million to keep the mega project going. Khawaja Usman of Shajarpak said, "If we can become atomic power why not a steel giant".

He said that currently Pakistan was depending on imports for the production of heavy mechanical structures and engineering goods but after producing high-quality steel at the TSML plant, Pakistan would be able to manufacture heavy equipment locally.

Copyright APP (Associated Press of Pakistan), 2012
Pakistan's largest private steel plant ready for production

what about the capacity?

According to company website .....

Tuwairqi Steel Mills Limited (TSML), is Pakistan’s first private-sector integrated environment-friendly steel manufacturing project of Al Tuwairqi Holding, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia. TSML complex spreads over an area of 220 acres at Bin Qasim, Karachi, and employs the world’s most advanced DRI (Direct Reduction of Iron) technology based on the MIDREX process, owned by Kobe Steel of Japan. The plant, with the capacity to produce 1.28 million tons of high-quality DRI, is now on the verge of completion.

Its good to see that this project will entice foreign investors but I remember the news where Steel Tycoon LN Mittal wanted to set up a coal mine but it was denied. It could have provided coal to these industries too.

Anyways, good development for Pakistan's economy. Industrial base is must for it right now, more than ever.

According to company website .....

Tuwairqi Steel Mills Limited (TSML), is Pakistan’s first private-sector integrated environment-friendly steel manufacturing project of Al Tuwairqi Holding, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia. TSML complex spreads over an area of 220 acres at Bin Qasim, Karachi, and employs the world’s most advanced DRI (Direct Reduction of Iron) technology based on the MIDREX process, owned by Kobe Steel of Japan. The plant, with the capacity to produce 1.28 million tons of high-quality DRI, is now on the verge of completion.
Without any general knowledge about that, i'm gonna guess that we are off to good start, is it a good number?

Without any general knowledge about that, i'm gonna guess that we are off to good start, is it a good number?

I think 1.2 million ton is a very good start considering that your total steel production has come down drastically and you have to import most of your steel. What you need is big players like Tuwairqi Steel Mills Limited(TSML) to set up huge steel plants to bring down the costs. Your domestic production costs are too high for small players to survive.

Pakistans State Owned Pakistan Steel Mills Will have Capacity of 1.5 m Tons Steel production Capacity, it will overtake this tuwairqi Mills.

Its good to see that this project will entice foreign investors but I remember the news where Steel Tycoon LN Mittal wanted to set up a coal mine but it was denied. It could have provided coal to these industries too.

Anyways, good development for Pakistan's economy. Industrial base is must for it right now, more than ever.

The offer was made by Indian industrial tycoon Lakshmi Mittal’s company and was brokered through a consultant firm in Dubai.
The investment offer was reportedly above $2 billion.In the offer, it was said that the coal obtained from Thar would be used by the company ArcelorMittal’s steel plants situated in India and other countries.

But we had this and other plants in works so Then Government decided against it as its cheaper for our companies to Mine the Coal from Thar then to import it from Australia.

Pakistans State Owned Pakistan Steel Mills Will have Capacity of 1.5 m Tons Steel production Capacity, it will overtake this tuwairqi Mills.

Unionized heavily subsidized by federal tax money Crown corporation cant compete with Private Corporation and therefore it will Go out of business unless its privatized as any subsidy given to that Mill means kissing any prospect of future private investment in pakistan good BY.

The offer was made by Indian industrial tycoon Lakshmi Mittal’s company and was brokered through a consultant firm in Dubai.
The investment offer was reportedly above $2 billion.In the offer, it was said that the coal obtained from Thar would be used by the company ArcelorMittal’s steel plants situated in India and other countries.

But we had this and other plants in works so Then Government decided against it as its cheaper for our companies to Mine the Coal from Thar then to import it from Australia.

Unionized heavily subsidized by federal tax money Crown corporation cant compete with Private Corporation and therefore it will Go out of business unless its privatized as any subsidy given to that Mill means kissing any prospect of future private investment in pakistan good BY.

Mittal doesn't have any steel plants in India it was just an hoax created by Pak govt due his Indian connect even though he is a British citizen(with Indian roots)...:agree:

Although he has plans to build some 30 MT :woot: steel plants in India but thats still a far cry due to Indian bureaucracy, he was just recently in 2012 itself able to secure a land for his 6 MT (out of total 30MT) plant in Karnataka n will still take many more years for actual plant to realise...:undecided:

On topic:
Congrts Pak....:enjoy:
There were some news about Russian investment in Pak Steel any updates about that...:what:

Coal and Steel consumption are the basic indicators of economic growth.

sweet...iron and steel industry is one of the key factors which determines the economic growth...may this organisation prosper

Pakistan Defence Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom