What's new

Pakistan's Asif to appeal after positive test

EagleEyes

ADMINISTRATOR
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Pakistan's Asif to appeal after positive test

KARACHI (Reuters) - Pakistan pace bowler Mohammad Asif's B sample has tested positive for a banned substance, his lawyer Shahid Karim said on Tuesday.

Asif, who failed a drugs test in the Indian Premier League (IPL) Twenty20 tournament in May, will appeal against the findings, Karim told Reuters by telephone from Geneva.

"We are definitely going to appeal because the test results of the same samples are different," Karim said.

He added that the 'B' sample test conducted in Switzerland on Monday had approximately 5.4 milligrams of nandrolone traces in the urine sample while the first test had shown 6.2.

Asif, who denies ever taking any banned substances, was confident of winning his case on appeal.

"I am not disheartened. The different results show something is wrong somewhere. We will be filing an appeal with the drugs inquiry tribunal of the Indian Premier League and we will fight this case to the end," he told Reuters.

"I used some medicines which were prescribed to me for my elbow injury before going to the IPL. But I have not used any banned substances or drugs ever," he added.

Asif, who has played 11 tests for his country, has already been suspended from playing any cricket or taking part in any cricket activities by the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB).

He faces more PCB disciplinary action after a fact-finding committee completed its investigations into the reasons for his 19-days detention in Dubai in June while returning from India.

The Dubai authorities had detained Asif after finding a small quantity of an illegal drug on him.

Asif had also tested positive for nandrolone in 2006 before the Champions Trophy but, after being banned by a drugs inquiry tribunal, he was cleared by a PCB appeals tribunal.

Pakistan's Asif to appeal after positive test | Sports | Cricket | Reuters

I used some medicines which were prescribed to me for my elbow injury before going to the IPL. But I have not used any banned substances or drugs ever

The question is that if this medicine is tested.. will it have nandrolone?

The question is that if this medicine is tested.. will it have nandrolone?

Let me guess!! He has eaten all the medicine and does not remember what he was prescribed. After all, he cant read and write well.
Guys it is time to accept the fact that he has cheated. He needs to be Punished for it. It may be a couple of yrs or another massive fine, but lets not spare him.
I have no sympathy for cheats, and I have to admit that he is one. Being a doctor, I can tell you, that except for steroids for anabolic purposes, no medicine used for Tendenitis utilizes steroids. If he was given steroids, then a doctors report should be appended with his enquiry.That not being the case, he should be punished, in accordance with the law.
Araz

He can of course buy the doctor, and that doctor will believe that such medicine in his humble opinion would have been beneficial for his injury. ;)

‘B’ sample positive but Asif still confident

Wednesday, August 20, 2008
KARACHI: Drug-tainted Pakistan fast bowler Mohammad Asif was in high spirits despite the fact that his B Sample tested positive at Lausanne, Switzerland on Tuesday.

“I am still confident that I will play for Pakistan and that day is not far away. I am very confident that I will be cleared of all charges.”

Asif’s lawyer confirmed that the second reading was 5.4 mg of nandrolone compared to the 6.2 mg that was found during the previous test. Asif appeared in high spirits and his lawyer said that since the quantity of nandrolone has varied, it allows them to appeal once again.

“The variation in quantity of nandrolone (in the two tests) gives me hope because there is discrepancy in the doping test that has been conducted.”

“I was well assisted by my lawyer Shahid Karim and my medical expert Dr Graham Durgan during these difficult times.”

The 25-year-old pacer is already suspended from all forms of cricket by the Pakistan cricket Board (PCB) after the first test turned out to be positive.

But Asif said that he was also surprised at the different test results and was thinking about appealing to the authorities.

“We will appeal to the IPL drug tribunal and point out the difference in the test results. I am hopeful of being cleared even now,” Asif insisted. “I can assure everyone that I never took any banned substance or drugs to enhance my performance. Which is why I am still confident of being cleared in this case. We will fight it to the end,” the lanky pacer said.

‘B’ sample positive but Asif still confident

They are going to appeal on account of a descrepency in the two results. What a sham. All it means is that :
A he has not consumed the drug since he was caught and therefore his levels are going down.
B A calibration difference, could vary the results of 2 samples done on the same day .
Either case the results show that the levels are persistently high. He has cheated and needs to be banned. But in Pakistan everything goes and he will probably get away with it as well. If Shoaib has gotten away withhis mistakes why not Asif.
This is a bad precident for sportsmen.
Araz

They are going to appeal on account of a descrepency in the two results. What a sham. All it means is that :
A he has not consumed the drug since he was caught and therefore his levels are going down.
B A calibration difference, could vary the results of 2 samples done on the same day .
Either case the results show that the levels are persistently high. He has cheated and needs to be banned. But in Pakistan everything goes and he will probably get away with it as well. If Shoaib has gotten away withhis mistakes why not Asif.
This is a bad precident for sportsmen.
Araz

what a waste of God-given talent!
some one said very nicely from mcgrath to mczero!

Back
Top Bottom