ADVISORS
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Some Afghan military officers to get training in Pakistan

By Karin Brulliard and Karen DeYoung
Washington Post Staff Writer
Thursday, July 1, 2010; A01

KABUL -- Afghan President Hamid Karzai has agreed to send a group of military officers to Pakistan for training, a significant policy shift that Afghan and Pakistani officials said signals deepening relations between the long-wary neighbors.

The move is a victory for Pakistan, which seeks a major role in Afghanistan as officials in both countries become increasingly convinced that the U.S. war effort there is faltering. Afghan officials said Karzai has begun to see Pakistan as a necessary ally in ending the war through negotiation with the Taliban or on the battlefield.

"This is meant to demonstrate confidence to Pakistan, in the hope of encouraging them to begin a serious consultation and conversation with us on the issue of [the] Taliban," Rangin Dadfar Spanta, Karzai's national security adviser, said of the training agreement.

The previously unpublicized training would involve only a small group of officers, variously described as between a handful and a few dozen, but it has enormous symbolic importance as the first tangible outcome of talks between Karzai and Pakistan's military and intelligence chiefs that began in May. It is likely to be controversial among some Afghans who see Pakistan as a Taliban puppet-master rather than as a cooperative neighbor, and in India, which is wary of Pakistan's intentions in Afghanistan.

Some key U.S. officials involved in Afghanistan said they knew nothing of the arrangement. "We are neither aware of nor have we been asked to facilitate training of the Afghan officer corps with the Pakistani military," Lt. Gen. William B. Caldwell IV, head of the NATO training command in Afghanistan, said in an e-mail. But Afghanistan, he said, "is a sovereign nation and can make bilateral agreements with other nations to provide training."

The United States has spent $27 billion to train and equip Afghan security forces since 2002, and President Obama's war strategy calls for doubling the strength of both the army and police force there by October 2011 to facilitate the gradual departure of U.S. troops.

Gen. David H. Petraeus, confirmed Wednesday as the new U.S. and NATO war commander, said this week that the United States wants to "forge a partnership or further the partnership that has been developing between Afghanistan and Pakistan." In addition to taking military action against Taliban sanctuaries inside its borders, Petraeus said, it is "essential" that Pakistan be involved "in some sort of reconciliation agreement" with the insurgents.

U.S. officials are generally pleased with the rapprochement between Afghanistan and Pakistan, but the rapid progress of the talks has given some an uneasy feeling that events are moving outside U.S. control. Karzai told the Obama administration about his first meeting with Pakistani intelligence chief Ahmed Shuja Pasha when he visited Washington in May, but "he didn't say what they talked about, what the Pakistanis offered. He just dangled" the information, one U.S. official said.

That session, and at least one follow-up meeting among Karzai, Pasha and the Pakistani army chief of staff, Gen. Ashfaq Kiyani, included discussion of Pakistan-facilitated talks with Taliban leaders, although the two governments differed on whether the subject was raised with a Pakistan offer or an Afghan request. Both governments denied subsequent reports that Karzai had met face to face with Pakistan-based insurgent leader Sirajuddin Haqqani.

Hedging their bets

Pakistan and Afghanistan have long held each other at arm's length. The border between them is disputed, and Afghans resent Pakistan's support for the Taliban government during the 1990s and its tolerance of insurgent sanctuaries. But as they have assessed coalition prospects in the war, both governments appear to have turned to each other as a way of hedging their bets against a possible U.S. withdrawal.

While building Afghanistan's weak army is a key component of U.S. strategy, more than 300 Afghan soldiers are currently being trained under bilateral agreements in other countries, including Turkey and India, Pakistan's traditional adversary. Pakistan has been pushing for months for a training deal, and Spanta said that a "limited" number of officers would be part of the new agreement. Details were still under discussion, but a senior Pakistani government official said the program was expected to begin "soon."

Shuja Nawaz, director of the South Asia Center at the Atlantic Council in Washington and an advocate of a Pakistani training program, said the plan could expedite joint operations between the two militaries and reduce suspicions about Pakistan within the Afghan army.

"This is a major move," Nawaz said. "It will have a powerful signaling effect in both countries."

Fears of Pakistani military influence persist among Afghan ethnic minorities and some in Karzai's government, including one official who compared the training initiative to the Soviet education of Afghan officers in the 1960s and 1970s that he said was "the start of all evil in Afghanistan."

"Pakistanis never trust Afghans. And Afghans never trust Pakistanis," according to a senior Afghan official who spoke on the condition of anonymity to protect his job. "But because the current situation is getting worse and worse, Karzai has to say okay to the Pakistanis and shake hands."
'We have doubts'

Another Afghan official, citing Karzai's recent firing of two top security officials who were highly critical of Pakistan, said the Afghan leader may be moving too far, too fast. The firings, the official said, were a "triumph for the ISI," Pakistan's Inter-Services Intelligence directorate, which has had a history of backing the Taliban and other militant groups in Afghanistan.

Afghan skeptics noted that Pakistan still refuses Afghanistan's demand to extradite Taliban commander Mullah Abdul Ghani Baradar, who was captured in Karachi in a joint Pakistani-U.S. raid early this year, or to arrest other senior leaders with whom they believe Pakistan retains ties. "If they were able to arrest Mullah Baradar . . . why haven't they arrested [Afghan Taliban leader] Mullah Omar? Or . . . Haqqani? This is something we have doubts about," one senior Afghan official said.

Baradar, who reportedly had engaged in talks with the Karzai government, "was interested and more willing to negotiate," the official said. "He was tired of fighting. Pakistan wants to use the Taliban as a pressure element. They don't want the Taliban to be in direct contact with the Afghan government."

Some U.S. officials expressed similar wariness about Pakistan's intentions. "What the Pakistanis and the Taliban want," one said, "is a cleaning of the house," including replacement of the Afghan officer corps, currently dominated by ethnic Tajiks whom Pakistan sees as hostile to its interests.

But other officials in all three countries rejected that analysis and pointed to a broader thaw in Afghanistan-Pakistan relations over the past year. Pakistani scholarships have been accepted by a number of Afghan university students, and Pakistan is training Afghan civilian officials, Spanta said.

"We have seen a paradigm shift in the relationship," said Mohammad Sadiq, Pakistan's ambassador to Afghanistan. "And of course, both sides are benefiting from it."

DeYoung reported from Washington.

washingtonpost.com

Afghan President Hamid Karzai agreed to send a group of military officers to Pakistan for training.

Afghan and Pakistani officials believed that this significant policy shift signals deepening relations between the two neighbours.

The move was important for Pakistan as the two neighbours have become increasingly convinced that the US war effort in Afghanistan is faltering. Afghan officials said that Karzai has begun to see Pakistan as a necessary ally in ending the war through negotiations with the Taliban.

“This is meant to demonstrate confidence to Pakistan, in the hope of encouraging them to begin a serious consultation and conversation with us on the issue of [the] Taliban,” Rangin Dadfar Spanta, Karzai’s national security adviser, said regarding the training agreement.

Pakistan to train Afghan military officials

:)

Ding, Ding, Ding... Excellent! Actually this also shows that Karzai is increasingly becoming bolder by the day when it comes to showing uncle sam the finger.

First he pushed forward the talks with the Taliban despite US advice, then he held the Jirga and now this... Its also interesting that the US have recently decreased the aid to Afghanistan citing "Corruption"...

Very interesting showdown.

Ding, Ding, Ding... Excellent! Actually this also shows that Karzai is increasingly becoming bolder by the day when it comes to showing uncle sam the finger.

First he pushed forward the talks with the Taliban despite US advice, then he held the Jirga and now this... Its also interesting that the US have recently decreased the aid to Afghanistan citing "Corruption"...

Karzai has been insulted by the west and now he is paying them back

what corruption?
the main cause of corruption are foregn nationals them selves.
now ISAF is getting defeat and all blame is going to Afghans
"Vast sums of money are being lavished by Western aid agencies on their own officials in Afghanistan at a time when extreme poverty is driving young Afghans to fight for the Taliban. The going rate paid by the Taliban for an attack on a police checkpoint in the west of the country is $4, but foreign consultants in Kabul, who are paid out of overseas aids budgets, can command salaries of $250,000 to $500,000 a year…”
Patrick Cockburn: Kabul's New Elite

I am not karzai supporter but what all is happening in AF Pak is due to imperil Strategy.
I wish US had studied Afghan culture and traditions before devising stratgies

w

with passage of time and some thorough study, i have came to know that the factor you mentioned could not have been of any use if Pakistani Pukhtuns were not there in fight against invaders. ;)

No wonder why some of the so-called intellectuals want Pakistani Pukhtuns to join Afghanistan because with out us they can not outnumber other ethnic groups in race for power ;)

what corruption?
the main cause of corruption are foregn nationals them selves.
now ISAF is getting defeat and all blame is going to Afghans

Exactly... They just want to let Karzai know "we still sign the cheques" but like it's been said by your goodself and Jana, history is a good guide for countires like Afghanistan.

Exactly... They just want to let Karzai know "we still sign the cheques" but like it's been said by your goodself and Jana, history is a good guide for countires like Afghanistan.

Pahtun genocide in North then discrimination with pashtun majority forced Afghan Pashtuns to join Taliban.
US followed blindly what NA told them.
At present US need to win Back Afghans, which it can only do with respect not with threats or use of Force

Pahtun genocide in North then discrimination with pashtun majority forced Afghan Pashtuns to join Taliban.
At present US need to win Back Afghans, which it can only do with respect not with threats or use of Force

And the biggest problem here is American pride... They will never accept their blind support of the NA and disregard for the threat emerging in the south and east has led to this today.

They have only themselves to blame.

Friend, what makes you say it is the pashtoons who are victims only? non pashtoons have paid heavier price for this long conflict in the country, how can somebody forget the crimes of taliban who masacared villages and cities and destroyed everywhere indiscriminately based on ethnic and religion differences, how can somebody forgets the crimes of Hekmatyar? Everybody talks about NA, first of all they dont belong to one or 2 ethnic groups, they were comprised of all ethnic groups who were anti taliban and that included the pashtoons. and wasnt it pakistan who supported NA all the way before? taliban are ideology and nothing has got with pashtoons, if it wasnt ideology they wouldnt have blown themselves up and called themselves martyers.

i was expecting a balanced view from wise and respected member like yourself.

Last edited:
Patrick Cockburn: Kabul's New Elite

I am not karzai supporter but what all is happening in AF Pak is due to imperil Strategy.

Although I agree with the contents of the article you posted, but we should blame our officials more than anybody else, those experts who are in the country are not in large numbers to dry up all the aids completely. i have worked with those agencies myself during the taliban time and the level of corruption is/was really high among afghans. it is not only the NGOs, but gov offices, officials are largely corrupted too, even having a passport which is your god given right will require a good amount of bribe.

Corruption has already been there in afghanistan, it was during the taliban, Mujahideen and also before that. it is nothing new, all the middle east, central asian, and south asian countries are struggling with corruption, afghanistan is not the only one, some are less and some are more corrupt.

Bro, what makes you say it is the pashtoons who are victims only? non pashtoons have paid heavier price for this long conflict in the country, how can somebody forget the crimes of taliban who masacared villages and cities and destroyed everywhere indiscriminately based on ethnic and religion differences, how can somebody forgets the crimes of Hekmatyar? Everybody talks about NA, first of all they dont belong to one or 2 ethnic groups, they were comprised of all ethnic groups who were anti taliban and that included the pashtoons. and wasnt it pakistan who supported NA all the way before? taliban are ideology and nothing has got with pashtoons, if it wasnt ideology they wouldnt have blown themselves up and called themselves martyers.

All of them were one in fight against USSR earlier. The NA and other groups were formed after USSR's disintegration and thats where everything went wrong in race for power by all warlords/fighters.

I have recently started studying the issue from all aspects and contacted those who had been the architect of first Afghan war (though they are not allowed to speak much). I am feeling that the entire issue is arising due to injustice viz a viz power sharing.

Personally i think all ethnic groups should be given their due share in the power. North is a reality and trying to undermine them is leading to trouble same is with Afghan Pashtuns if you throw them out the problem gets worsens.

Bro, what makes you say it is the pashtoons who are victims only? non pashtoons have paid heavier price for this long conflict in the country, how can somebody forget the crimes of taliban who masacared villages and cities and destroyed everywhere indiscriminately based on ethnic and religion differences, how can somebody forgets the crimes of Hekmatyar? Everybody talks about NA, first of all they dont belong to one or 2 ethnic groups, they were comprised of all ethnic groups who were anti taliban and that included the pashtoons. and wasnt it pakistan who supported NA all the way before? taliban are ideology and nothing has got with pashtoons, if it wasnt ideology they wouldnt have blown themselves up and called themselves martyers.

Ahmed
you are friend...no...a Brother
yar weather its NA or Pashtuns we all are brothers due to Islam.
what Pashtun did in Past was horrible especially in HAZARA Massacare.
but things changed they became on recieveing end
and suffered

I think people like you should come forward and educate Afghans that weather you are Tajik, Uzbek or Pashtun...first you are Afghan.
this cycle of voilance should end

If action and reaction goes like that Afghanistan will never benifit from what it has...minrals, hard working people, geo strategic location

About Pashtun genocide Genocide-Complicit Apartheid Australia Jails Refugees Fleeing Afghan Genocide And Tamil Genocide

Pashtun Genocide in Afghanistan and How to stop it | Atlantic Free Press - Hard Truths for Hard Times

All of them were one in fight against USSR earlier. The NA and other groups were formed after USSR's disintegration and thats where everything went wrong in race for power by all warlords/fighters.

I have recently started studying the issue from all aspects and contacted those who had been the architect of first Afghan war (though they are not allowed to speak much). I am feeling that the entire issue is arising due to injustice viz a viz power sharing.

Personally i think all ethnic groups should be given their due share in the power. North is a reality and trying to undermine them is leading to trouble same is with Afghan Pashtuns if you throw them out the problem gets worsens.

thanks for the balanced view dear sister, i can see alot of hostility against non pashtoons in this forum, although i am not a person who care about ethnicities, but if people bash us based on the idea that we belong to a non pashtoon group then it will be difficult for me to stay silent. how many people in here have studied our history and see how much non pashtoons have suffered from the injustices of pashtoon rulers(nothing to do with common pashtoon man) in the past especially last 10-12 decades? has anybody even bothered to know why pashtoons ended up in the north while that is not their tradtional territory? land grab and injustice was the official policy against teh non pashtoons, we are not the starter of this ethnic conflict. hope people speak with respect and have a balanced view towards these sensitive issues, otherwise there are things pakistan as well that i can speak and even be disrrespectful, but i bet you havesnt seen anything like that from. i have always keep the dignity of my mouth and respected pakistan and its people.

Last edited:
If action and reaction goes like that Afghanistan will never benifit from what it has...minrals, hard working people, geo strategic location

About Pashtun genocide Genocide-Complicit Apartheid Australia Jails Refugees Fleeing Afghan Genocide And Tamil Genocide

Pashtun Genocide in Afghanistan and How to stop it | Atlantic Free Press - Hard Truths for Hard Times

Thank you friend, if this suffering stories is told from one side and ignore the other side, i persoanlly dont take a notice of it. we should be equal even if the tales of suffering is told.

Back
Top Bottom