What's new

Pakistan to give access to Russia to warm Water

LOL, that is not exactly an equal trade.

China holds UNSC veto power. Meanwhile, India has no power in the SCO.

I know, was just being cheeky. I am happy for India to remain a current observer in the SCO and Pakistan being a member.

Btw how many blocs are Russia in? UNSC, brics, g8, SCO, CSTO, one to many I say.

You seem to be unfamiliar with the genesis and the history of the Indo-Russian relationship. Since I have been around on this planet to see some of it, let me try to explain in a very short way.
It started way back, and simply because India did not choose to be part of any camp, especially part of any anti-Russian camp. While what everybody here (including you) seems to be more taken up with the Military aspect of the relationship, actually it went far beyond that and had a bigger economic dimension. In those days India was short of hard cash (esp Dollars) and the West was not particularly enthusiastic to pass on technology to India. That is when the Russians stepped in. They helped to grow India's steel industry, helped with Indian Oil exploration and Refineries. So much so that when India nationalised the American Oil companies (which were bleeding the Indian economy, as well as most of the world, btw) the American oil majors promptly shut off crude oil sales to India. That is when the Russians stepped in and supplied crude to India. But except one refinery, the other Indian one were designed to handle American supplied crude, so the Russians helped to modify them to handle other crudes, while this was being done; they supplied petroleum products so that Indian industry would keep running. And so on.
Now the question was payment for all this. Deferred payment being part of the deals helped but was not a complete solution. So the Russians accepted Rupee payments partly (though the Rupee was not worth much then), but most innovatively they accepted payment in commodities. And of course there were grants. It was a big combination.

Around that time the transfer of arms hardware and technology started too. And the same innovations were used. The first Indian Foxtrot class subs were paid for by Indian banana exports and T-55 tanks got paid for by leather boots for example. And the Russians helped in any (and every) way possible. When Indian Air Force needed medium transports they looked at AN-26s; but they were not suitable for the hot and dusty weather and high altitude operations required in India, so the Russians modified them for the IAF as the An-32s and India bought them at less than $1 M apiece (an unimaginable price). So India bought over a hundred of them. Now those birds are fully amortised (long ago), and continually upgraded and will see service for at least a decade more.
Times have changed now, India has much more money in her pockets so now India is investing in Russia. India is a big investor (and JV partner) in the big gas project in Sakhalin as well as oil exploration with Russia in other parts of the world. India has invested in Brahmos in a big way, just as Indian cash has helped to revive parts of the Russian ship-building industry. Not least to mention the Russian nuclear sub construction (the Akula class). The clock has turned somewhat and India does not need to go hunting for "bargain prices" not least of all from the Russians. Now everything is negotiated with the Russians as with anybody else. And BTW, Mr. Lakshmi Mittal (who now happens to be the biggest steel company owner in the world) and his family cut their teeth around the Russian built steel plant in India. Now he has helped to prevent (among others) Russian steel plants from closing shop and thus preserved Russian jobs. So good begets good.

But the history endures. Just as the Indo-Russian relationship does, and in a much more evolved form. :)

VERY informative! Plz share any links for members to read up on?

Bitter? How many posts of mine have you seen on this thread? lol

We have no reason to worry. We have made available to ourselves a few enormously potent weapons. Those which can bring down their whole economy and their country and they will but slowly.

In fact, the process has begun.

So I see no need for the insecurity for we have already secured the endgame.

Now don't ask me what those weapons are.

...and no they're not nukes.

When I say you, I mean 'you people'. It is surprising how backwards one can be depsite often claiming to be the biggest democracy and being a peace loving country etc. When your country's media are always talking about blowing up your neighbours such as China and pakistan. You guys need to wake up to the smell of coffee. It's not 1970 anymore. In fact Indian and Pakistanis brothers before the country got split and both claimed independence.

Its only a SCO membership, even nations like Kazakhstan is in it and Tajikistan.

We dont mind Pakistan joining, only under 1 condition, China helps India get a UNSC seat. :azn:

Yep it is 'ONLY' the SCO. It's not that important. Only that they are the only significant alliance that gets to represent Asia.
Another thing is, India is an observer state, you have no power in the SCO, so there are no such thing as 'setting conditions'. As for UNSC, you can wait on it. Then again, it's only UNSC, why bother right? :azn:

VERY informative! Plz share any links for members to read up on?

A good bit of it I know because I've been around and seen around. :)
But do google around to.

And yes one source which covers the American Oil majors and their insidious role in the world economy till the advent of OPEC in 1974 which hammered them down is:
"The Seven Sisters" by Anthony Sampson. I have the book in my library, it describes in great detail how the "Seven Sisters" (Seven Oil Companies) mainly American; with one British (BP-British Petroleum) and one Dutch (Royal Dutch-Shell) had the world economy (and many countries) in their stranglehold. American Eagle in some earlier posts in this thread talks about Iran etc. Therefore, I suppose he would know something about Mossadegh and how he nationalised the refinery at Abadan, till the he was overthrown in a coup. Such was the clout of the Oil Companies. Later Italy nationalised the oil industry there as well and got screwed for that.Even later Indira Gandhi took over the foreign oil companies in India and made her way into the bad books of some interests! But she survived all those threats.

BTW; In India- Bharat Petroleum used to be Burmah Shell, Hindustan Petroleum used to be ESSO (EXXON) and CALTEX (TEXACO) before they were nationalised and given new names. Indian Oil was set up by GoI before nationalisation with Russian help, but struggled initially to get crude supplies till Russians (and later Libyans and Iranians helped) with the feedstock. But the tech in the first IOC refineries were Russian.

You seem to be unfamiliar with the genesis and the history of the Indo-Russian relationship. Since I have been around on this planet to see some of it, let me try to explain in a very short way.
It started way back, and simply because India did not choose to be part of any camp, especially part of any anti-Russian camp. While what everybody here (including you) seems to be more taken up with the Military aspect of the relationship, actually it went far beyond that and had a bigger economic dimension. In those days India was short of hard cash (esp Dollars) and the West was not particularly enthusiastic to pass on technology to India. That is when the Russians stepped in. They helped to grow India's steel industry, helped with Indian Oil exploration and Refineries. So much so that when India nationalised the American Oil companies (which were bleeding the Indian economy, as well as most of the world, btw) the American oil majors promptly shut off crude oil sales to India. That is when the Russians stepped in and supplied crude to India. But except one refinery, the other Indian one were designed to handle American supplied crude, so the Russians helped to modify them to handle other crudes, while this was being done; they supplied petroleum products so that Indian industry would keep running. And so on.
Now the question was payment for all this. Deferred payment being part of the deals helped but was not a complete solution. So the Russians accepted Rupee payments partly (though the Rupee was not worth much then), but most innovatively they accepted payment in commodities. And of course there were grants. It was a big combination.

Around that time the transfer of arms hardware and technology started too. And the same innovations were used. The first Indian Foxtrot class subs were paid for by Indian banana exports and T-55 tanks got paid for by leather boots for example. And the Russians helped in any (and every) way possible. When Indian Air Force needed medium transports they looked at AN-26s; but they were not suitable for the hot and dusty weather and high altitude operations required in India, so the Russians modified them for the IAF as the An-32s and India bought them at less than $1 M apiece (an unimaginable price). So India bought over a hundred of them. Now those birds are fully amortised (long ago), and continually upgraded and will see service for at least a decade more.
Times have changed now, India has much more money in her pockets so now India is investing in Russia. India is a big investor (and JV partner) in the big gas project in Sakhalin as well as oil exploration with Russia in other parts of the world. India has invested in Brahmos in a big way, just as Indian cash has helped to revive parts of the Russian ship-building industry. Not least to mention the Russian nuclear sub construction (the Akula class). The clock has turned somewhat and India does not need to go hunting for "bargain prices" not least of all from the Russians. Now everything is negotiated with the Russians as with anybody else. And BTW, Mr. Lakshmi Mittal (who now happens to be the biggest steel company owner in the world) and his family cut their teeth around the Russian built steel plant in India. Now he has helped to prevent (among others) Russian steel plants from closing shop and thus preserved Russian jobs. So good begets good.

But the history endures. Just as the Indo-Russian relationship does, and in a much more evolved form. :)

That's a great post and much respected for providing everyone with a good read. At least you are not acting like a snob about it.
It's a shame that the relationship seems to be deteriorating over time and India cannot trade boots or bananas for the carrier anymore. They wanted hard cash and the price inflated over time as well. It seems to me that the love affair seems unilateral from India's side. We don't get to hear or see Russians claiming or make much out of the Indo-Russo relationship :cheers:

Yep it is 'ONLY' the SCO. It's not that important. Only that they are the only significant alliance that gets to represent Asia.
Another thing is, India is an observer state, you have no power in the SCO, so there are no such thing as 'setting conditions'. As for UNSC, you can wait on it. Then again, it's only UNSC, why bother right? :azn:

UNSC is the daddy of all alliance in the world.

India wont have to worry, as long as Russia is part leader of SCO, so enjoy with likes of Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan, Uzbekistan and Pakistan.

Have you noticed apart from the leaders in the alliance, all other members end with stan. Maybe its fate India is not in it.

That's a great post and much respected for providing everyone with a good read. At least you are not acting like a snob about it.
It's a shame that the relationship seems to be deteriorating over time and India cannot trade boots or bananas for the carrier anymore. They wanted hard cash and the price inflated over time as well. It seems to me that the love affair seems unilateral from India's side. We don't get to hear or see Russians claiming or make much out of the Indo-Russo relationship :cheers:

You seem to have read my post but not understood it completely. So read it again and digest it. As I said, the clock has turned, and the relationship has evolved accordingly. The Soviet times were different. Today Russia needs hard cash, which India gives. Boots and Bananas are not required, or rather can only be bought with dollars. But the relationship has encompassed that too. Why don't you ask Putin about it. He'll also attest to that.

However you may want to believe; the relationship is not unilateral; it is still transactional in its basis. The nature of the transaction have changed. You don't get to see or hear the Russian POV, simply because there are not many Russians here. But travel to Russia and find out for yourself. I do and I know.

BTW, judging from the "highly enthusiastic responses" from your friends (and our neighbors) on this forum; can one deduce that there is a "unilateral relationship" existent too? :azn:
And if you (in your wisdom) have decided that the relationship has deteriorated, so be it. I know what level it operates at. India does not have to live on hand-outs anymore so the nature of the transactions have changed. Can one say the same about other countries in the neighborhood? :)

Russia has been getting money, India has been getting technology (though Indians seem to be in denial their space program is based off Russian technology). India needs Russia more than Russia needs India. That's a fact, though this may change in the future. But not necessarily.

Russia would of course want Pakistan's money, but Pakistan can give them more. Warm sea port access. It depends how important that is. But I'd guess it's very important. Plus the Russians do have other interests in Afghanistan/Pakistan not related to money.

Russia should be allowed to do trade through Pakistan, if it is mutually beneficial for both countries. Russia is our neighbour and we have many current and future projects beneficial to both countires.

UNSC is the daddy of all alliance in the world.

India wont have to worry, as long as Russia is part leader of SCO, so enjoy with likes of Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan, Uzbekistan and Pakistan.

Have you noticed apart from the leaders in the alliance, all other members end with stan. Maybe its fate India is not in it.

UNSC is the one that gets to represent the world, unfortunately not a lot of positive things gets done or come out from it. It is merely a political tool used to determine the fate of a nation. Libya is one example.

Personally I will see India wanting in eventually. As said before, India is simply sitting on the fence and benefit from both, but in the long run, that will not work and when it see greater benefits of joining the SCO it will.

Yes it is fate that the leaders of the SCO are also the most powerful ones in Asia and gets to influence in a global scale too, shame India isn't a part of it. Not sure if we can call that fate too?

So, Russia will have a Naval Base in Pakistan?

That means there will be a lot of foreign interests operating within Pakistan - the US, China and now Russia!

What is 'access' in actual term?

Gawarad/Port Qasim / Karachi ---> Road & High speed freight train link to Russia and other states in between for trade , no russian naval bases , the naval base with PLAN is going to be a joint one !

Russia has been getting money, India has been getting technology (though Indians seem to be in denial their space program is based off Russian technology). India needs Russia more than Russia needs India. That's a fact, though this may change in the future. But not necessarily.

Russia would of course want Pakistan's money, but Pakistan can give them more. Warm sea port access. It depends how important that is. But I'd guess it's very important. Plus the Russians do have other interests in Afghanistan/Pakistan not related to money.

Why do Pakistan think they location is such a big argument?

Its just a location, we dont live 1000 years ago, where only donkeys were mode of transport.

And stupid to think Pakistan can give they location to the world and money in return for goodies lol. They are 100 ways into central asia, and I assure you Pakistan dont have all 100 of them.

Plus Russia is maybe 20 times bigger then Pakistan and have better location to central Asia.

UNSC is the one that gets to represent the world, unfortunately not a lot of positive things gets done or come out from it. It is merely a political tool used to determine the fate of a nation. Libya is one example.

Personally I will see India wanting in eventually. As said before, India is simply sitting on the fence and benefit from both, but in the long run, that will not work and when it see greater benefits of joining the SCO it will.

Yes it is fate that the leaders of the SCO are also the most powerful ones in Asia and gets to influence in a global scale too, shame India isn't a part of it. Not sure if we can call that fate too?

To be honest, dont like the name, Shanghai Cooperation Organisation , when people first hear this, they think its a treaty owned and run by boss China.

Maybe India and China should join Collective Security Treaty Organisation (CSTC) have all the members as SCO, excluding China, what do you say?

Back
Top Bottom