What's new

Pakistan to explore gas in Sri Lanka

Skyline

Reaction score
Country
Sri Lanka
Pakistan has expressed its interest in oil and gas exploration in the seas off Sri Lanka, the Daily Mirror learns.

At present Cairn Lanka (Private) Limited, a subsidiary of Cairn India, is engaged in oil and gas exploration work in the Mannar basin at the moment.

Following the success of two gas discoveries under the initial stage of exploration, Cairn also completed drilling of a fourth exploration.

However, studies are underway to ascertain whether the gas discoveries are commercially viable or not at the moment. Meanwhile, Speaker of National Assembly of Pakistan Sardar Ayaz Sadiq told the Daily Mirror during his two day visit to Sri Lanka last week that there was scope for further co-operation between the two countries in oil exploration and sugar processing-- two areas where Pakistan has the expertise.

“We have brotherly relations. Yet, there is scope for further co-operation especially in sugar processing and gas exploration,” he said.

Already, Pakistan has teamed up with Sri Lankan authorities to invest in sugar processing. The visiting speaker held talks with Sugar Industries Development Minister Lakshman Seneviratne in this regard. (Kelum Bandara)

Pakistan to explore gas in SL

Sri Lanka has great hydrocarbon potential. We must cooperate with our lankan friends in this field.

@niaz @balixd

Which Pakistani companies can drill off-shore?

Sri Lanka would be totally nuts if they just offer the blocks to Pakistanis. Instead they should auction them so that the best can grab them.

hope you will reconsider your words about our friendzzzzzzzz.............. :lol:

In a significant development, state-run Oil and Natural Gas Corporation Videsh Limited (OVL), after having evinced keen interest in bidding for hydrocarbon reserves in Mannar and Cauvery basins, has opted out of bidding for any of the 13 oil and gas blocks in Sri Lanka.

OVL skips bids for oil and gas blocks in Sri Lanka - The Hindu

Sri Lanka has great hydrocarbon potential. We must cooperate with our lankan friends in this field.

@niaz @balixd

Which Pakistani companies can drill off-shore?
this is how it works
You have Operator and you have Drilling Contractor

Operator - the one who owns the well , responsible for acquiring the land to extract production - example is of ENI Pakistan, OMV, OGDC, PPL, Mari Gas....

Drilling Contractor - the one that is hired by Operator to drill the well and hand it over to the operator once operations are completed - Well is drilled to the bottom. example - Deewan, Schlumberger, Weatherford, Baker, CCDC - China, Crakow.

Now given that operator pays the right amount - Drilling contractor can move the Drilling rig from any of its location to the location of Well.

What it says in the news is that Pakistan's E & P are interested in extracting production.
so that includes Mari Gas, OGDCL, PPL. They can hand over the contract to any drilling contractor they like.
ENI, OMV are foreign.

Gud Gud Gud! We got very friendly relations with SL...hope we push up the mutual trade too just like this example.

Indian subsidiary company is already there. Pakistan has little chance to get this job.

Secondly, as far as sugar processing is concerned, Sharad Pawar will grab that opportunity too. :lol:
oh by love where does it say that only one company can extract the production in the single country.
In iraq you have three major Operators including BP & Petro China, both belong to 2 different countries - so i wonder how you concluded that.
So if SL wants it then no one can stop them

I don't care whether a Pakistani Firm gets this or not for that is not the most important thing; what is most important, however, is Sri Lanka & how the discovery of oil & gas reserves would enable this Island Paradise to improve upon her already envious social & economic development indicators !

Good Luck & May God Bless you ! :)

@Skyline @HeinzG @Gibbs @Saradiel @Azizam

Mmm off-shore oil drilling is a heavily technical industry. I HIGHLY doubt there are any Pakistanis companies with any competency in that field.

EDIT: Looks like I'm wrong. The Oil and Gas Development Company from Pakistan has some experience in prospecting and drilling operations, but far from the capabilities of Indian companies.

Don't start a pissing contest, do we have ample experience, the answer is yes...

Do not take the news seriously. Pak does not have such capabilities.:lol:
kind enough to enlighten us on our capabilities?
perhaps we might get some pointers from you

Arre yaar!! We are Jaani Dushman, remember?:lol:

I meant, Indian company is already there so they will do everything to stop Pakistanis coming there. We will prefer Russians or even Chinese over Pakistanis anyday. I never said that only one company will be there forever to explore the gas.

Though final decision will be Lanka's. I agree.
BP was already their but yet Iraqi Oil Company went ahead with Petro China - I mean come on dude - chinese??
so it is all about money and diplomacy - my love

Last edited:
i didn't know we had so many professionals from Oil & Gas (E &P ) sector on our forum just as we have experts and professionals from Defence & Military institution ....:lol:

@Aeronaut - what you say bro

Sri Lanka would be totally nuts if they just offer the blocks to Pakistanis. Instead they should auction them so that the best can grab them.
may I ask why??
though i agree with you that their should be auction held for them - but that is based on technical and professional ground.
but tell you what - as i said above - E & P isn't about professionalism

Pakistan has experience with Oil and Gas Exploration since 1952,By the time in india they didnt even know what Gas is called

Back
Top Bottom