What's new

Pakistan protests India glacier tourism plan

HAIDER

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
ISLAMABAD, Sept 17(AFP): Pakistan protested to India on Monday over its plans to open up the disputed 6,300-metre (20,800-feet) high Siachen glacier in Kashmir to tourists, saying it could hurt an ongoing peace process. Foreign ministry spokeswoman Tasnim Aslam told a weekly briefing that India's deputy ambassador had been summoned on Monday to receive a “strong protest” over the Siachen plan. Experts say India has around 5,000 troops on the glacier, while Pakistan has less than half that number. (Posted @ 15:20 PST)
- DAWN - Latest Stories; September 17, 2007

I wonder if it is a good thing to open up the Glacier to civilians.

I don't buy the reason that Pakistan had given permission for mountaineers and so we should do the same.

Ridiculous rationale.

All it would do is to reinforce to the world that it is with India. As if they did not know!

However, it is a more plausible reason that with western mountaineers overpopulating the area, none would think of any aggression lest the westerners are killed with its ramifications thereafter!

If that is the reason then Sardar Manmohan is being too clever by half!

I don't buy the reason that Pakistan had given permission for mountaineers and so we should do the same.

Ridiculous rationale.

Whats the harm? It won't hurt anyone. It might just enable the locals to earn a few extra bucks.

If you are concerned about the environment...then you have a point. Most of the major glaciers in India are melting and if things continue this way, our rivers are gonna dry up in the next 50-60 years.

Just 1 thing i have to say :

NOT A WISE MOVE IN PART OF INDIA.

Regards
Wilco

I hope they make an effort atleast. Especially given the fact that waste takes forever to degrade in cold Siachen climate.

Heard of the clean and green intiative in siachen?
World's third largest glacier gets a clean up
Siachen - the third highest and the largest glacier in the world has become the dirtiest because of the continuing presence of the Indian and Pakistani armies since 1984. Now the Indian army have launched a campaign to clean up the glacier. Its 'Clean Siachen, Green Siachen' campaign found immediate support from the Indian Air Force, and the Indian Mountaineering Foundation has now added its weight to the project. The IMF is well experienced in cleaning such landscapes. Its teams have previously cleaned the Sangotri glacier and the Nun Kun and Stok Kangri mountaineering expedition routes, which had been left in a mess by other climbers.
"Our men are trained in cleaning the glaciers, and we also have funds to spend on such initiatives," said a spokesman. "The environment fee we charge mountaineering expeditions, is spent on cleaning the glaciers and mountains".
An IMF spokesman said that a clean Siachen glacier would be a great asset to a world currently troubled by global warming.
"For us, Siachen glacier is our heritage, we want to preserve it," he said, recalling that Prime Minister Manmohan Singh has already declared that it should be converted into a mountain of peace. "Peace and pollution do not go together."

Global News - the Latest Topical News from Around the World

btw I am still amused at the bureocrat who gave the title "green siachen"

:rofl: That babu probably was probably signing the papers in his sleep...

Nah, he must be an IAS babu from urban development department where signs all the "clean and green xyz city" and when he came to DOD, he must have simply signed it here as well

a clue less babu, nothing new.

Ridiculous rationale.
Fair enough, India doesn't need our permission in this matter. Afterall the local economy will benefit from it.

All it would do is to reinforce to the world that it is with India. As if they did not know!
Thats the trick and Imho the actual motive behind the move.

Well once start the tourism, later claim the area. But sorry to say if Indian start tourism, then whole area will be polluted from toilets.

Well once start the tourism, later claim the area. But sorry to say if Indian start tourism, then whole area will be polluted from toilets.

Sorry the order is just reverse, we claim that area, we had occupied and now sending the tourists.

Back
Top Bottom