Pakistan never respected their stars

birdofprey2

BANNED

New Recruit

Reaction score
Pakistan never respected their stars

shoaib-malik-bowled.jpg

Rana.Naved.ul.Has.n.jpg

The treatment meted out to Mohammad Yousuf is sad, but I am not surprised, says Wasim Akram.
By Wasim Akram
Pakistan cricket continues to intrigue me. Quite a few things are making headlines and unfortunately, almost all for the wrong reasons!
First up, many congratulations to Shoaib Malik, although the juicy news about his previous relationship will do him no good. Whatever the facts are, I will like to wish Sania Mirza and Shoaib a good life together. Marriage is sacred.
I can imagine the dilemma two former Pakistan captains are going through at this moment. While Mohammad Yousuf has announced his retirement from international cricket, Younis Khan is planning to challenge his suspension.
I have said in my previous column that the PCB had no business to slap indefinite bans on cricketers. Hence Younis will have a very strong case whenever he seeks legal help. It will be interesting to see how the PCB reacts then. Governance has never been PCB's strong point for various reasons.
More than Younis, the decision made by Yousuf has saddened me. His retirement will definitely hurt Pakistan in Test cricket. You can't replace a man with 24 Test centuries and 7000 runs. It's a pity the way Pakistan have treated their best players.
Just like Yousuf, Pakistan have not respected many former stars. Whether it was me, Javedbhai (Miandad) or Waqar Younis, one fine day we were made to vanish from the face of the earth! There are numerous other instances too.
I am not sure if this is the way to treat players who have served you with excellence for over two decades. At least, they deserve a testimonial game, a warm send-off and a moment that will stay forever in their hearts. I am sure Pakistan's cricket fans will love to give their heroes one final standing ovation. Yousuf deserved one.
Even if I am busy with my IPL commitments for Kolkata Knight Riders, I have been reading with interest about Shahid Afridi getting ready for the ICC T20 World Cup. It is important for Afridi and Waqar to strike a chord in the West Indies. Afridi must learn from his mistakes and lead with sense and responsibility.
Having been part of IPL, I now realize the margin for error in T20 cricket is very little. Afridi has to choose his best combination every time he goes out in the middle. If Pakistan can shun politics in team selection, we should be able to defend the world title. Class and capability have never been in short supply in Pakistan cricket.
(Wasim Akram is a former Pakistan Test captain and currently the bowling coach of Kolkata Knight Riders)

Cricket | Pakistan never respected their stars | ESPNSTAR.com

Banned Younus may file a case
Former captain Younus Khan is planning to take the Pakistan Cricket Board to court over the indefinite ban imposed on him since last month.
Sources close to Younus said that his lawyer, Ahmed Qayyum had advised him that instead of filing an appeal with the PCB, it would be a better option to file a case in court over the ban.
The PCB this week refused to give out details of the reasons for the ban after Qayyum sent them a notice and instead the board advised him to file a formal appeal as per the constitution of the board.
"The feeling is that instead of filing a formal appeal and waiting for the PCB to explain the reasons for the ban it would be better to file a case in court which has the powers to make it binding for the board to give details of the basis on which they imposed bans and fines on seven players last month," one source told PTI.
The source said that Younus was unhappy with the board attitude and their refusal to give a proper reply to his notice.
Analysts pointed out that if Younus went to court it could open a pandora's box as other players who are banned or fined could follow suit.
"Younus and his lawyer are not comfortable with filing an appeal with the board which will send it to an appellate tribunal it has itself formed," the source added.
Younus who is presently in the United States is due to return in two days time.
Three years back the board had also banned fast bowler, Shoaib Akhtar for five years on disciplinary grounds. He first appealed with an appellate tribunal that reduced the ban to 18 months and fined him seven million rupees.
He then filed a writ petition in the Lahore High Court which suspended the ban and allowed him to resume playing cricket. The case is still pending in court but the board recently deducted the seven million rupees fine from Shoaib's earnings for 2009.
The PCB imposed indefinite bans on Younus and Muhammad Yousuf and banned Shoaib Malik and Rana Naved for one year and fined them two million rupees each besides imposing fines on Shahid Afridi, Kamran Akmal and Umar Akmal.
Rana had also sent a notice to the board wanting to know the reasons for his punishment but he has also been told to file a formal appeal as per the constitution of the board.
Meanwhile, the PCB has told all-rounder Rana Naved to file a formal appeal against his ban and fine instead of sending legal notices to them.

Rana had sent a legal notice to the board yesterday seeking the reasons for his 12-month ban and the fine of Rs two million imposed on him by the board last month on the basis of an inquiry into the national team's tour to Australia.

"We have replied to his notice and told him that he needs to file a formal appeal with the governing board members as per the constitution of the board," PCB legal advisor Tafazzul Rizvi told PTI.

"It is only after he files an appeal we will let him know the reasons for the penalties imposed on him and then he can decide if he wants to approach the appellate tribunal for a review of his case," he said.

He also made it clear that the board was not bound to give any explanation to the players for the actions taken against them.

"They must file a formal appeal that is the process they have to follow," he added.

Cricket | Banned Younus may file a case | ESPNSTAR.com

Its not disrespect the problem is we do not have proper merit system in the team

Players who pile up 90-93 wickets in season who are young don't get called up but we call up players who took 10-22 wickets

Players who pile up centuries and double centuries in local circuit are not called we call up players who made total of 22 runs in 10 inning and to top it off they also want to captain the site

A player who scored his last big innings 2-3 years ago can't be made captain , or let along be in top 11 in team.... it has to be performance of last 6 innings that should decide outcome....if your performance goes down in 6 innings you are automatically benched and someone else takes your spot untill their performance dips you get yoru shot again

With lack of merit system , and self respect where a captain who is not performing simply sits out , we intend to play continuously at expense of players who should be playing

This mentality that just because you played more or you are senior that your place is cemented in team is what is killing our squad ......

Together with , PCB selecting 10 captains in last 2 years while we played hand full of test cricket

There has to be proper , merit system based on performance

But to give credit the current management has setup proper incentives

Cash bonus for ever wicket , every catch , every run out every 50 and every 100 runs so it shoudl be interesting $$$ is involved now

Back
Top Bottom