What's new

Pakistan Govt decides to conduct population census after 15 years

Saifullah Sani

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
LAHORE: The government has decided in principle to conduct a fresh population census across Pakistan after a 15-year gap as Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif has approved a summary of the Election Commission of Pakistan (ECP) in this regard.

In the summary, it was stated that according to the Constitution, the holding of a census was necessary after every 10 years. The lack of a census could lead to raising questions about the transparency of general elections. The ECP suggested that a census be held before the 2018 general elections in Pakistan in order to help ascertain the actual count of the population and the formation of electoral constituencies.

The prime minister ordered presenting the proposal of holding a census in the next meeting of the Council of Common Interests (CCI), likely to be held next month.

A population census could not be held in the country for the last 15 years due to one reason or the other.

Reportedly, the Pakistan People’s Party (PPP) Leader of the Opposition in the National Assembly Khursheed Shah had written to the prime minister, calling for arrangements for a population census.

Pakistan has not conducted a population survey since the last census was carried out in 1998 during PML-N second Turn. After the approval of the summary by the prime minister, the matter has now to be passed by the CCI before the population census exercise could finally begin.

Govt decides to conduct population census after 15 years - thenews.com.pk

i wager it to be near 230-250 million mark .

Well few years back i was watching Capital talk when one expert said the Pakistan growth rate had down significantly to 1.5% but still the western sources are are calculating pakistan growth rate by 2.3% average till now and they had reached 180million population mark

which he said when the census will be done,the population in reality would be more like Bangladesh or not more than 16crore or 160million

i d say it is close to 190 million

I think we're around 200 million.

Back
Top Bottom