What's new

Pakistan Doesn't Need Lectures: Zardari

Salahadin

Reaction score
WASHINGTON: Making a case for massive US aid to save Pakistan from the brink of economic collapse, Pakistan President Asif Ali Zardari on

Wednesday said his country needs to be stable to defeat extremists and appealed to Washington to give it necessary tools, including modern military equipment.

"Give us the tools, and we will get the job done," Zardari wrote in a special opinion piece published in 'The Washington Post' in which he congratulated Barack Obama on becoming the US president.

He said "Obama understands that for Pakistan to defeat the extremists, it must be stable." For democracy to succeed, Pakistan must be economically viable, he added.

"Assistance to Pakistan is not charity; rather, the creation of a politically stable and economically viable Pakistan is in the long-term, strategic interest of the United States," he said.

Zardari said the Obama administration should immediately encourage Congress to pass the Enhanced Partnership with Pakistan Act.

The multi-year, USD 1.5 billion annual commitment to social progress here would signal to the people of Pakistan that this is no longer a relationship of political convenience but, rather, of shared values and goals, he said.

"Strengthening our democracy and helping us to improve education, housing and health care is the greatest tool we could wield against extremism. Indeed, such policy is the fanatics' worst fear," Zardari said.

Referring to another pending legislation in US Congress, Zardari said the designation of regional opportunity zones (ROZs) to build a viable economy in northwest Pakistan and in Afghanistan would give residents an economic and political stake in the success of their democratic governments.

If approved this legislation would result in tax free export of products manufactured in specially designated areas of Afghanistan and Pakistan.

"(ROZs) Legislation introduced last year by Rep. Chris Van Hollen and Senator Maria Cantwell should be quickly revisited; it would signal to our region that the United States understands the correlation between a healthy economy, a satisfied people and a stable government," Zardari said.

"Over the past several months, remarkable progress has been made in our battle against the Taliban and al-Qaida. Measures include repeated air-strikes by our F-16s and targeted ground assaults. We are willing to act to save our nation," he wrote.

"To the extent that we are unable to fully execute battle plans, we urge the United States to give us necessary resources -- upgrading our equipment and providing the newest technology -- so that we can fight the terrorists proactively on our terms, not reactively on their terms," he said.

Observing that Pakistan and the US have much in common and should be partners in peace, Zardari said this moment of crisis is an opportunity to recast their relationship. "We are extending our hand in friendship," he said.

"Indeed, Pakistan's new democracy has pried open the clenched fists of the extremists, to use a metaphor from President Obama's inaugural address. Let it not be said by future generations that our nations missed an extraordinary opportunity to build lasting peace in South Asia," Zardari wrote.

^ Kayani cannot legally contest elections. I doubt Zaid Hamid would opt to run for elections.

Friend does us has aggregated Zardari's appeal and requests to US for building peace in Pakistan...

We can't build a strong political system with governments not completing their terms, so I hope we have no midterm elections.

We need to allow this government to complete its full term, and Pakistanis can then make the decision on who will serve them best for the next five years.

Full article in the Washington Post here:

Asif Ali Zardari - Partnership With Pakistan - washingtonpost.com

Personally, this line hit home with me strongly, "With all due respect, we need no lectures on our commitment. This is our war. It is our children and wives who are dying."

He may prove to be an ineffective administrator and head of state, but I respect him tremendously for his stated public position on terrorism and fighting this war that is so crucial to Pakistan's existence.

^
What's with posting the same video in all the threads.

Full article in the Washington Post here:

Asif Ali Zardari - Partnership With Pakistan - washingtonpost.com

Personally, this line hit home with me strongly, "With all due respect, we need no lectures on our commitment. This is our war. It is our children and wives who are dying."

He may prove to be an ineffective administrator and head of state, but I respect him tremendously for his stated public position on terrorism and fighting this war that is so crucial to Pakistan's existence.

Those are some nice words. If only he practiced what he preached.

Those are some nice words. If only he practiced what he preached.

I think he is trying, but nothing in Pakistan is simple, and you know that.

Dealing with such a complex situation, trying to satisfy the chorus of demands arguing for different ways to deal with the issue, the insurgency, the economic crises, the power crises, the food crises, and now the warmongering form India - give the guy a break!

I think he is trying, but nothing in Pakistan is simple, and you know that.

Dealing with such a complex situation, trying to satisfy the chorus of demands arguing for different ways to deal with the issue, the insurgency, the economic crises, the power crises, the food crises, and now the warmongering form India - give the guy a break!

Agreed. We could criticize all we want from the comfort of our homes, we do not know what foreign and domestic pressures a leader has to work through.

Yes, he certainly has 'talked the talk' (in a good way!).

I have three questions/comments:

1. "This is our war. It is our children and wives who are dying."- It seems to me that this is entirely true for swat. However, for the broader theatre (e.g. Waziristan, drone strikes etc.) I get the impression (sorry, don't have any stats for this!) that a large cross-section of the Pakistani believe that this is America's war. How, as a democratic leader, does he intend to (can he?) bridge this perception gap?

2. I was slightly disappointed that the text does not emphasize what Pakistan should/can do for itself as a nation, but focuses on what aid the US can give to Pakistan (well, maybe the article is written for that purpose?). In any case, it somewhat reinforces what has been said in the past :

DAWN - Irfan Hussain; December 06, 2008

"Years ago, a western diplomat wrote that Pakistan was the only country in the world that negotiates with a gun to its own head. Our argument, long familiar to aid donors, goes something like this: If you don’t give us what we need, the government will collapse and this might result in anarchy, and a takeover by Islamic militants. Left unstated here is the global risk these elements would pose as they would have access to Pakistan’s nuclear arsenal."

3. "The water crisis in Pakistan is directly linked to relations with India. Resolution could prevent an environmental catastrophe in South Asia, but failure to do so could fuel the fires of discontent that lead to extremism and terrorism." - President Zardari

- I don't know much about the water crisis in Pakistan, but surely this is stretching it a bit. I googled 'water crisis Pakistan', and the first newspaper article (Daily Times - Leading News Resource of Pakistan) said:

"ISLAMABAD: Former Senior Advisor to the World Bank, Fateh M. Chaudhri has said that over the last 60 years the government had done little to tackle the challenge of water shortage in an effective way."

The article goes onto highlight how little money has been spent on this.

Doesn't Zardari's assertion about India, and the water crisis link to terrorism seem to be a bit far fetched? It also seems to reinforce point #2 above.

Last edited:
Zardari needs to do something drastic and change the country's economy and security situation. If he does not brings any change, i really dont see PPP winning the next election. All these empty statements are not going to make a difference, he needs to improve the institutions in the country and make them independant and vibrant. So far, the PPP has done nothing. All he does is mention Zulfikar Ali Bhutto and carry Bibi's picture all over the country. All the hysteria of Bibi has died down, he needs to improve the situation in the country or else PML-N will crush him in the next election.

Back
Top Bottom