Pakistan and Germany cooking something up

AZADPAKISTAN2009

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Ref:
Pakistan seeks German defence equipment | Pakistan | DAWN.COM

ISLAMABAD: Pakistan asked Germany on Saturday to allow export of defence equipment so that it could fight terrorists in a better way.

“Pakistan urges Germany to liberalise its export control policy towards it so that we could get export licences for defence equipment … to enhance our capacity to counter terrorism,” Foreign Minister Shah Mehmood Qureshi said at a joint press conference with his German counterpart Guido Westerwelle after their bilateral talks.
The talks focused on a Pakistani proposal for initiating strategic dialogue, enhancing investment, strengthening economic ties and boosting defence cooperation.

Pakistan has been uneasy over European countries’ reluctance to meet its defence and security needs while asking it to intensify its counter-terrorism efforts.

According to sources, the German foreign minister informed Mr Qureshi that European Union’s restrictions on arms export were stopping his country from considering Pakistan’s request for defence equipment.

At the news conference, however, Mr Westerwelle reiterated Berlin’s desire to extend full support to Pakistan in its fight against terrorism. He also spoke about the need for cooperation between Pakistan and Germany for fighting terrorism.

“Our common engagement is necessary to fight against every terrorist attack. And we very much appreciate the efforts Pakistan is making in the fight against terrorism. We encourage Pakistan and Afghanistan to cooperate closely in the interest of security and stability. And in Germany you have friends who will support in this way.”

The two sides also discussed the situation in Afghanistan.

Mr Westerwelle, who is on a two-day visit to Pakistan, arrived in Islamabad by road after his plane had to be diverted to Lahore because of fog and poor visibility in the capital.

Last edited:
All I read is that Pakistan asked for something and Germany said they'll think about it. Nothing special.

Just giving a reality check before the trolls get here.

But the point is that pakistan has started pestering the germans over weapons and trying to unlock the deadlock before there was no action now there is a sign that diplomatic channels are being used to move things into ACTION state ...

U214 ...hmm would look like a great deal if it gets approved

Beside the subs what else could they possibly have that could interest Pakistan

Once again, the Germans haven't said yes. Pakistan has asked. Pakistan has been asking for decades. Previously, the Germans had agreed to sell the U214, but the deal fell through from both sides, if I understand correctly.

Sorry, I don't see anything new. We really need to stop getting excited like giddy schoolgirls at every little non-news press release that comes out of the FO.

It makes us look silly and desperate.

The article mentions equipment that can be used against terrorists and i don't think U-214 comes under this category

As far as licence for german equipment is concerned we already are producing many german equipments under licence namely G3,Mp5 and Psr-90 etc

Hi, it is simpler than that. Pakistan cannot afford 1B Euros on its own, and no German bank or the German Ministry of Finance will give them the credit. As such, this deal is dead regardless if the Germans give them permission or not. PN's only hope is China, and it is better in the long term, as they will get more technology transfer this way. Take care.

at this point i dont know what to say. did you see how we treated the german ambassador at the press briefing. technical difficulty one after another. i just hope that they agree to sell us full tot for some of their advanced HK rifles

They might give assault weapons.or may be few artillery pieces.U-214 would not be on the plate as it is not useful against terror.
If i am not wrong G-3 is german and made in Pakistan under license?

But the point is that pakistan has started pestering the germans over weapons and trying to unlock the deadlock before there was no action now there is a sign that diplomatic channels are being used to move things into ACTION state ...

U214 ...hmm would look like a great deal if it gets approved

Beside the subs what else could they possibly have that could interest Pakistan

Yeah subs would make a great anti-terrorist weapon system.....

(in case anyone wondered why Germany/EU are reluctant in the first place, such reasoning is a good reason)

First off, overly exaggerated title. Secondly I doubt you'll be getting submarines to counter terrorism. Maybe a few assault rifles.

Hi, as I mentioned before, it is a simple answer. Pakistan is plain, flat broke due to the policies of its current government and corruption. It cannot afford these toys. It should go plead with China for a soft loan or grant and buy the Yuan class subs. Take care.

We can not assume anything for now.. we shall have to wait and see what really came out of those so called talks but it is a good that both nations are talking further in better realtions i think its far off from the sub deal.

Back
Top Bottom