What's new

Our Nation’s Dilemma

Humble Pakistani

New Recruit

Reaction score
Country
United States
“Now that’s reassuring. That, despite threats, attacks and murders, the media will somehow continue to speak out (as it does now and then) against injustice, criminal gangs, terrorist organizations, out of control state agencies and so on and so forth. But that’s just wishful thinking. There’s no point harking to the Zia-era repression and pointing out the stalwarts who stood up to it. The past is another country; one in which your life wasn’t worth a few thousand rupees at most, even after adjusting for inflation.” Writes Zarrar Khuhru in a leading newspaper after another journalist/TV anchor, Hamid Mir was injured in targeted shooting today in Karachi.

I am just thinking – yes the past is another country, a country far better than today’s. Today the life is not even worth a few rupees. It is a sad day when people are targeted and killed, and the state is unable to do anything about it. Very recently; Pakistan’s honorable interior minister said: a bomb blast in Rawalpindi’s sabzi mandi is not a big deal. According to him, just as many people are killed in the United States daily. Mr. Chaudhry, I guess only comes to the U.S. every six months just to get his “green card” renewed. It seems that he does not pay much attention to the news. A year ago, there was a bomb blast in Boston that had killed three people. Just last week, the President of the United States observed a moment of silence for the victims of that bombing. Let’s not forget that right after the bombings, the U.S. security forces made it the top priority to capture the bombers. They did not rest until the bombers were captured and killed. One of the bombers was killed while the other was taken in custody. In today’s Pakistan, we negotiate with the killers and bombers. And to Mr. Chaudhry’s comment, I say, you are just smoking something strong because 10 people are not killed in senseless violence every day in the United States.

We must also realize the importance of safeguarding our homeland from the terrorists, and send a strong message to those who threaten the safety of our nation. Are we really sending a strong message through peace negotiations? It is evident that our government has lost all respect. The terrorists keep on changing their stance with regards to the peace talks, as if they are dictating the terms. I guess it is hard to argue that they are not! We are a brave nation, a nation that fought tooth and nail to gain independence. We must keep our pride intact, and refuse to bow down to the enemies of the nation. We must unite and stand tall in order to preserve our pride. The need of the hour is to set a standard that clearly defines our intolerance to the killings of the innocents. We need one voice that will send a loud and clear message to the terrorists: lay down your weapons or get ready to pay the price.

Source:Our Nation’s Dilemma | The Pakistani Spectator

Back
Top Bottom