What's new

Opposing Permanent seat for India

Hafizzz

Reaction score
Geelani opposes permanent UNSC seat for India
Geelani opposes permanent UNSC seat for India

Hardline Hurriyat Conference on Wednesday opposed a permanent seat for India in the UN Security Council, claiming it would be an "injustice" with the world body as New Delhi has not honoured its resolutions on Kashmir.

"A permanent Security Council seat in the UN for India means a major injustice, which has no moral ground. How will such a country (India) be made a permanent member, when it has not honoured the body and rejected its resolutions on Kashmir," Chairman of the hardline faction of Hurriyat Conference Syed Ali Shah Geelani said.

Reacting to the US President Barack Obama's statement, endorsing India's bid for a permanent UNSC seat, during his recent visit to the country, the Hurriyat hawk said, "India's non-cooperation was the main reason for the failure of the UN to implement its resolutions on Kashmir."

Accusing Centre of using "oppressive measures" to suppress the struggle of Kashmiris over the past 63 years, Geelani said, "If India manages to get a permanent seat in the Security Council despite its poor human rights record in Kashmir, it will put a question mark on the credibility, formation and aim of the UN."

If India is awarded a permanent U.N. seat despite its poor human rights record then many countries around the world are qualified for Permanent U.N. seat as well.

If India is awarded a permanent U.N. seat despite its poor human rights record then many countries around the world are qualified for Permanent U.N. seat as well.

If i were you i would not worry about many countries. I would use diplomacy to counter India's initiative about getting a permanent seat.

No offense but Geelani is nobody. He has no weightage anywhere in the world. So no body gives two hoots about what he say and what he don't. Do you honestly think there is a need for discussion to what he has to say about India's candidature???

If human rights was a criteria for the Permanent seat, all the present permanent seats would be vacant. Not to forget that human rights abuse in India is something that Pakistanis diplomats dreamed up....
Countries like China have the permanent seat and you dare question India's human rights record..........The nerve of some people.

If i were you i would not worry about many countries. I would use diplomacy to counter India's initiative about getting a permanent seat.

No offense but Geelani is nobody. He has no weightage anywhere in the world. So no body gives two hoots about what he say and what he don't. Do you honestly think there is a need for discussion to what he has to say about India's candidature???

Did you meant Gilani, who was approached by Indian govt. for negotiations;

Ali Gilani rejects fresh Indian talk offer

If human rights was a criteria for the Permanent seat, all the present permanent seats would be vacant. Not to forget that human rights abuse in India is something that Pakistanis diplomats dreamed up....
Countries like China have the permanent seat and you dare question India's human rights record..........The nerve of some people.

China does have a permanent seat and I can question India's human right record. This is a free forum no? As India has commit herself to being a liberal democracy with adherence to those rights, it can be presumed that she is campaigning on those grounds. If India doesn't herself fulfill those values to which her citizens like you criticize others for, there is little merit in the proposal as a whole.

It was about a month ago they ran a piece on CBC news where it reported over 300 Kashmiri Muslims have been killed by Indian security forces, this includes woman and children. The world hasn't forgotten, Shame!

(two can play this game buddy)

I just don't understand why the Indians don't wisen up regarding human rights. I can understand shooting dissidents to protect the Government, even though I certainly don't condone it.

After all this, the Indians still calmly say that the have the highest regard for human rights. You can't blame the rest of the world for criticizing India after things like this occur. In my opinion, unless this blatant disregard for human life is rectified, India will never be able to shrug of it's image of having an oppressive regime.

USSR & China had terrible human rights records on the 70, 80 & possibly 90's.

Till the 60's Non whites were discriminated against in US. France in the same period was cracking down in its N African territories.

All this while these nations were members of the UNSC.

Can we look for another line of argument ?

Thats correct @thirdeye, human rights argument and that too coming from Pakistan (whose army is trying to defend its human rights record after the video leaks), does not hold too much strength. There are other countries whose human rights records are questionable at best.

I just don't understand why the Indians don't wisen up regarding human rights. I can understand shooting dissidents to protect the Government, even though I certainly don't condone it.
You have put a question and answered it as well. :tup:

Traditionally human rights violations (with varying degree of severity) have been happening around the world in most developing countries. Only the developed countries have been able to show better human rights records.

You have put a question and answered it as well. :tup:

Traditionally human rights violations (with varying degree of severity) have been happening around the world in most developing countries. Only the developed countries have been able to show better human rights records.

I'm being facetious, I cut and pasted alphatech's inane moralizing from the "China does it again.." thread and replaced China with India.

It wasn't my composition.

I'm being facetious, I cut and pasted alphatech's inane moralizing from the "China does it again.." thread and replaced China with India.
It wasn't my composition.

I see.. but without a reference to context, it sounds out of place.

IMHO

China is justified in jailing the father of a child suffering from tainted milk since the govt. is looking at national interests. I know most Chinese members disagreed with the individual decision but have faith in CCP to do what's best for the benefit of the most.

Indians also have issues with HR abuses occurring in India, but in general we still have faith in GOI to do what's best for the nation and not get bogged down by peripheral issues. We also want GOI to do things that benefit the greatest number of people.

I feel it is wrong when people and nations criticize Chinese govt. (it's their country for god sake, let them run it the way they want to). And I humbly expect the same courtesy given to Indians.

As for UNSC seat, moral track record can hardly be a deciding factor, like the Pakistanis rightly say "Iss hamaam mein hum sab nangey hain". We've all done wrongs in our histories.

Last edited:
China does have a permanent seat and I can question India's human right record. This is a free forum no? As India has commit herself to being a liberal democracy with adherence to those rights, it can be presumed that she is campaigning on those grounds. If India doesn't herself fulfill those values to which her citizens like you criticize others for, there is little merit in the proposal as a whole.

It was about a month ago they ran a piece on CBC news where it reported over 300 Kashmiri Muslims have been killed by Indian security forces, this includes woman and children. The world hasn't forgotten, Shame!

(two can play this game buddy)

Hold on....

The poster questioned India's standing wrt. Human rights record and if a country having committed the same is considered ineligible for such a coveted seat, then obviously one has to question the record of the P5 as well, especially since their admission was grandfathered in.
You have all rights to question it, but denying India the right based solely on its Human rights record (one has to take into account foreign interference), then the same yardstick should apply for the others...China is no different!

Human rights were and still weapon for western countries to keep 3rd world countries in check.
If some country is shooting some one who is targeting police or some government establishment what the big hack.

USA destroyed one entire country (Iraq) when they got targeted by terrorist.
Which country will rise this issue in UN against USA.
No one ..Because half of them are also doing so called human rights violations and rest are some way under USA's obligations.

Back
Top Bottom