What's new

Operation Zarb-e-Azb | Updates, News & Discussions.

Balochistan land links to Waziristan sealed

Pakistan army in for long haul in offensive against Taliban
By Reuters

killing hundreds of fighters and no civilians, according to Pakistani military sources.

The official account is impossible to verify as journalists are not allowed to work freely in the region.

The success of any operation of this scale is impossible without the involvement of the United States, whose forces in neighbouring Afghanistan have crucial intelligence on the location of militant bases and training camps around the region.

Pakistan fears the militants may slip over the border into Afghanistan once the offensive starts and indeed some senior leaders may already have.

Pakistan says it has asked Afghanistan's army to help seal off the border from its side.

But with most US troops leaving Afghanistan this year, it is unclear how much capacity and willingness Washington would have to get involved in another conflict far away from its shores.

Coordination conundrum
Once the ground operation gets under way, analysts also expect the notorious lack of coordination among Pakistan's myriad of security and intelligence agencies to hamper efforts to tackle the insurgency head-on.

“The remote and rugged terrain is a big problem but the biggest challenge is away from the tribal areas,” said a close aide to the prime minister. “It's a question of intelligence coordination throughout the country."

The Taliban are deeply entrenched in Waziristan's complicated patchwork of tribal alliances, blending into the local population and making it hard to distinguish them from ordinary residents.

“The biggest challenge will be intelligence, how to get precise intelligence and then go after them,” said Imtiaz Gul, a security analyst. “They are dealing with a mobile enemy. It pops up here and there, and wherever you apply pressure they move to another place.”

Pakistan's strategy, for now, is to encircle North Waziristan with troops and use helicopters and fighter jets to attack sanctuaries from the air.

Before it launches a ground offensive, the army has given the region's estimated two million population several days to evacuate the area, with a large number of refugees massing in a tent camp across the border in Afghanistan's Khost province, a potential humanitarian crisis in the making.

Those who have stayed behind are unlikely to give troops a warm welcome, analysts say, particularly in areas with traditionally strong Taliban influence.

Even if the army's advance through the region is smooth, it is unclear what would happen afterwards and how Pakistan intends to rebuild the ruined villages to bring the refugees back.

A similar operation in South Waziristan in 2009, which was unpopular among Pakistanis, displaced half a million people as homes, schools and hospitals were turned into hideouts by militants and meagre civic amenities were destroyed. The region remains largely undeveloped.

“The most difficult task is not the operation, they can achieve that and clear the area,” said Muhammad Amir Rana, director of the think tank Pak Institute for Peace Studies.

“It is in the post-operation period when many different scenarios emerge. (Taliban) support networks, their affiliates are still active in many different parts of the country.”

So far air strikes have been targetting mainly Uzbek strongholds in North Waziristan. Allied with the Pakistani Taliban, they have no tribal affiliations in Pakistan and are seen mainly as al Qaeda's foot soldiers with little clout.

Pakistan has always distinguished between the good and the bad Taliban, identifying some as moderates with whom the state can negotiate but the breakdown of talks has changed the picture.

“It's difficult to distinguish between the good and the bad Taliban. It wouldn't be an ideal scenario if the good and the bad Taliban joined forces and attacked the army together,” said Saifullah Mahsud, head of the FATA Research Centre think tank.

Last edited:
Hahaha sorry sorry, left I mean left.
Btw do we use different variants of cobra from usa? How many variants are there?

On the left it is Bel 412...we have cobra AH-1F in the most numbers, May have smaller number of others.

Btw in that Pic, I don't think the cobras are Pakistani.

By that logic USA should not consider Pakistan as a sovereign nation (which they really dont). SO you in a way are justifying there stand.
Except for the fact that Pakistan doesn't allow such things. There is a paramount of evidence that US strikes in Pakistan have been sanctioned by Pakistani authorities secretly, so it's not a matter of sovereignty, that's just a card that politicians keep playing to score browny points against the current establishment. The truth is that where Pakistan has been secretly quite supportive of US strikes in Pakistani territory, and has even given information to help US strikes, the Afghans don't do any such thing with Pakistan. Let's be honest here, Afghanistan currently is barely a country, it's government is completely incompetent, and it's military is far from professional. It's intel services (NDS) is filled with vengeful anti-Pakistani former warlords, who've been caught helping TTP militants, multiple times by US forces.

Pakistan asking for Afghan help to secure the Afghan border is expected, but the Afghan reluctance is not surprising. The Afghans have never acknowledged the border, and with evidence that they support the TTP, why would they help Pakistan? Even if they tried, I doubt they'd be much help, as they've shown gross incompetence in the past.

@Manticore @Fulcrum15

Watchout for 'noor behram news'. Wonder how this 'insider' gets to have an internet connection when all comms are down.

@AmnaR l Don't post unrealiable rumors, or you can sit outside of this, thread and watch for a few days.

@Manticore @Fulcrum15

Watchout for 'noor behram news'. Wonder how this 'insider' gets to have an internet connection when all comms are down.

@AmnaR l Don't post unrealiable rumors, or you can sit outside of this, thread and watch for a few days.

He is a journalist, and was/is (dont rem) president of TUJ (tribal union of journalists). He is also a local there. And what was wrong about his news? Its the truth and you know it. Evacuting thousands of people is NOT an easy job.

BTW, he is the same guy who has filed a case against US drones in the EU.
And as for your information, WANA now has DSL.. so no, comms are NOT down.

Lastly, when has my info been wrong? My videos/pictures after OP were genuine :p

All for the operation - couldn't have come any later than this ..

But i fail to understand something .. we have a pin-point location of all targets and are bombing them with such accuracy? // Surely this wasn't gathered between Karachi airport attack and the start of this offensive..then WHY OH WHY did we wait so long .. i'm sure there will be collateral damage in the waziristan region .. but all the deaths around all of my country has already been counted as collateral .. Power to the army!

And Molana Diesel's statement is just ridiculous .. there is no need to deal/talk with the Talibans.. i couldn't care less if they were Muslims or belong to whatever background .. they have committed crimes against humanity and should be wiped out irrespective of how credible they think their agenda is!

He is a journalist, and was/is (dont rem) president of TUJ (tribal union of journalists). He is also a local there. And what was wrong about his news? Its the truth and you know it. Evacuting thousands of people is NOT an easy job.

BTW, he is the same guy who has filed a case against US drones in the EU.
And as for your information, WANA now has DSL.. so no, comms are NOT down.

Lastly, when has my info been wrong? My videos/pictures after OP were genuine :p

Your 'info/rumor' may or may not be correct since there is no independent verification of it. We do not take social media chatter as a credible source as anyone can write up whatever they want without accountability. We are striving to make sure that the flow of information does not include made up news.

All for the operation - couldn't have come any later than this ..

But i fail to understand something .. we have a pin-point location of all targets and are bombing them with such accuracy? // Surely this wasn't gathered between Karachi airport attack and the start of this offensive..then WHY OH WHY did we wait so long .. i'm sure there will be collateral damage in the waziristan region .. but all the deaths around all of my country has already been counted as collateral .. Power to the army!

And Molana Diesel's statement is just ridiculous .. there is no need to deal/talk with the Talibans.. i couldn't care less if they were Muslims or belong to whatever background .. they have committed crimes against humanity and should be wiped out irrespective of how credible they think their agenda is!

Diesel needs to be made to drink some diesel. ;)

Your 'info/rumor' may or may not be correct since there is no independent verification of it. We do not take social media chatter as a credible source as anyone can write up whatever they want without accountability. We are striving to make sure that the flow of information does not include made up news.

Diesel needs to be made to drink some diesel. ;)

Your "independent" verification is what? Lies of ISPR or Lies of Taliban? We both know both parties lie and do propaganda. So what do you consider "authentic"

and I thought it is supposed to be a "social forum", not just WHAT YOU CONSIDER OK.

If you can't digest the truth (like the pictures I posted, you deleted them. They turned out to be correct. Like the info I am posting about where the curfew has been lifted, for what time.. which will also turn out to be correct), I think I should just restrict myself to watching the Funny and Stupid thread... guess you people aren't ready for "independent" news.

Since you are the administrator (and I assume, owner) of this forum, I bid adieu in protest of your fucking rules. I know it wont make a difference to you. Thousands come and thousands go.. You think highly of yourself, I know that. You are also blinded by patriotism. I also know that. But not ready for the truth.

So yeah, **** it. You and your fucking hypocritical forum

Amna its a fucking war, what do you expect, A bed of roses with honey and milk rivers? Man up!

If it wasn't for the tribal idiots letting in all the terrorists inside Pak border this operation would not be needed and we wouldn't be having this conversation.

Unfortunately they are idiots and now must deal with consequences for living with terrorists. They have IDPs set up, most will be treated well. Some in very remote parts may not get same treatment but you can't help everyone. Once terrorists are all dead everyone can move back, mourn their dead and be greeted by new market, schools, hospital, running water and roads.

I would much rather PA conduct this war rather than become a Syria/Iraq like state where the world has to pour in and dick on it.

@AmnaR I think instead of getting worked up about your independent info not allowed to be posted, you should at least declare your sources, your own position and your involvement in obtaining such independent and reliable content.

In these propaganda times, as a reader I would be very skeptical of the content you post without knowing who you are and how you're obtaining those. I think that's fair enough.

As far as not handling the truth is concerned, I can safely say a vast majority here has made up their mind about wiping out this menace of ttp"at all costs." Will there be collateral damage? Yes. Will there be civilians who are gonna get caught in the middle indiscriminately? Yes. I feel bad about them.

But ttp has left us no choice and gave is no quarter. It's gotta be done. Before Pakistan becomes like Iraq, and ttp like ISIS and starts slaughtering every single Pakistani, we gotta uproot this evil from its deepest depth and purge it. Kapeesh!

@AmnaR Knee jerk reactions upon hearing the truth is a hallmark of a guilty person. We fully trust ISPR and terrorist or closet terrorist propaganda is never allowed.

And yes, i am blinded by patriotism with 3 generations in my bloodline sacrificing for this country starting all the way from the Independence movement. I can't help it, Pakistan runs in my veins. No apologies offered.

Last edited:
Except for the fact that Pakistan doesn't allow such things. There is a paramount of evidence that US strikes in Pakistan have been sanctioned by Pakistani authorities secretly, so it's not a matter of sovereignty, that's just a card that politicians keep playing to score browny points against the current establishment. The truth is that where Pakistan has been secretly quite supportive of US strikes in Pakistani territory, and has even given information to help US strikes, the Afghans don't do any such thing with Pakistan. Let's be honest here, Afghanistan currently is barely a country, it's government is completely incompetent, and it's military is far from professional. It's intel services (NDS) is filled with vengeful anti-Pakistani former warlords, who've been caught helping TTP militants, multiple times by US forces.

Pakistan asking for Afghan help to secure the Afghan border is expected, but the Afghan reluctance is not surprising. The Afghans have never acknowledged the border, and with evidence that they support the TTP, why would they help Pakistan? Even if they tried, I doubt they'd be much help, as they've shown gross incompetence in the past.
The question here being, that even if Afghanistan does help TTP, can you with hand on heart claim that Pakistan does not in the same manner and from time much before TTP came into existence has been helping Afghan Taliban, who have a similar status as TTP

The question here being, that even if Afghanistan does help TTP, can you with hand on heart claim that Pakistan does not in the same manner and from time much before TTP came into existence has been helping Afghan Taliban, who have a similar status as TTP

To be honest .. Everyone has done Everything! .. Seriously, and literally!

Extremists were funded, flourished and prepared for a particular agenda in the past .. by US, Pakistan, India, Iran, Saudia .. whoever .. some were helped by the exact people who are fighting them .. its called incidental decisions or tactical decisions .. they are never strategic in the long sense ..

HOWEVER - whether someone was a part of it back then or whenever is not a premise to NOT do something about it .. enough is enough in any respect .. When you raise a child, you allow mischief - but when they start growing up - they need to be taught and disciplined .. not a good analogy because we're talking war and killing .. but all i'm saying is that situations need to be controlled when they are happening .. this is the need of our time at the moment .. TTP/Extremists need to be controlled and as the need states.. wiped out for the good of this country ..

I would not settle for anything less.. anyone who wants to settle for less or is having a soft corner for this operation has serious issues! .. And don't quote about innocent lives will lost as collateral .. wake up and get real .. this is exactly why we need this menace cleaned up .. thousands of innocent lives have been lost already to this no-cause-nonsense .. in the longer run would we want to see this to continue happening? NO!

Back
Top Bottom