What's new

Only 25 pc in India claim Hindi is their mother tongue

whats the big deal?
in pakistan urdu is spoken by less than 15 % of people yet we use it as our national language.
thats called unity.

Problem is, our stated motto is Unity in Diversity, not Unity through Uniformity. What works for Pakistan need not work for India and vice versa.

whats the big deal?
in pakistan urdu is spoken by less than 15 % of people yet we use it as our national language.
thats called unity.

It's an issue that dates back to the 1960's and 50's due to the Anti-Hindi agitations in Tamil Nadu by the Dravidian movements.

After the protests turned Violent, as a compromise Lal Bahadur Shastri (The Indian Prime Minister at that time I think) sort of made 22 official languages in India.

@qamar1990 The dynamics are different from Pakistan. A move to make Hindi a national language and impose would be met with stiff resistance in South India as well as other Indian states.

South India has a history, especially Tamil Nadu of Anti-Hindi agitation. And Dravidian class of languages is netirely different from Hindi and their family of languages.

What do you guys think about the point @sreekumar raised?

This is being done to not to impose a language onto someone else, but as a way to de-macaulayize the larger Indian public. There still exist many people who equate knowing english to intelligence/power/prestige and so on. The same is then abused by the west through the use of brown sahibs to put forth their point of view, bbc also parrots nonsense like "artificial nation made by us and english is the glue". I will admit, it is kinda crappy that we need to use english to communicate....despite being home to more than 100 languages o.0

On a side note, how come PDF uses english and not urdu? I think almost everyone there knows/understands urdu

Because English is the Business and diplomatic lingua franca.

dude u can live in all ur jingoism ... but the truth is u can't stop Hindi penetration in south...ur shouting and propaganda can weaken the process but cannot stop it... the reason being india has become a open market and there is a tremendous exchange of north and south Indian people...across the country...
why should anyone be barred from learning any language ... if tamil is ur mother tongue u can learn it and i respect it...but if we want a United and strong india, single language which everyone can understand need to be have in our mechanism...
u want to make English...how many people understand English today in india except in cities .. even in cities many people don't know this...hardy 10% of indian population is fluent in English....where as Hindi has a penetration of more that 60-70% of population of india....ppenetration doesn't mean its their mother tounge but people can understand it ....

damn u are thick...
how will tamil telgu and persian going to help u monetarily....
but even from economic point of view Hindi is useful...ib many ways...
but dont worry i know u are nt willing to understand it ..di leave it here...
How is learning Tamil helping you economically?

WTF.. i said only english is useful monetarily... both of u have huge comprehension disability..

It is almost like if the Tamil liguistic chauvinists and their Hindi counterparts have the same views on their language.

To me, the Dravidian parties and this Hindu, Hindi, Hindustani people are the same.

flip sides of a coin.

Actually. come and make me learn Hindi you racist bigot.

COME AND MAKE ME. I will learn Hindi of my volition. If South Indians won't learn Hindi, there is nothing you can do about it.

And speaking of inferirority complex, aren't you that nitwit Punjabi who desperately wants to be white.

If you want force the issue, you can. Until then, you can be a keyboard warrior.

You and your ilk ain't doing jack son. Get it through your thick skull.

Disclaimer: I am not talking about regional issues. This racist gave me a rope to hang him with. So I did.

Hope I didn't cause anybodyelse offense.

yes, better to have higher literacy levels, better infrastructure, better roads rather than this manufactured controversy.

@kbd-raaf because it is a manufactured controversy. Not only by the Indian media, but also by the Dravidian parties.

DMK was thumped in the election. So now they have manufactured a controversy that falls right in line with their manifesto. Tamil Chauvinism.

don't insult us by comparing to hindi chavunists.. we don't want other indians learn our language but hindi wallas want us to learn theirs..

and the view of ADMK and other non DMK parties is exactly same as DMK in Tamil Nadu.. please verify news before claiming anything...

Last edited:
In a discussion where the argument is primarily taking place between Hindi & Tamil speakers, it is difficult to sympathise with either. Tamil speakers are equally chauvinistic, most would love nothing more than shoving Tamil down the throats of others. If it was possible. It is not. So anti-Hindi it is. You will find Tamil speakers arguing of how theirs is the greatest of S.Indian languages & how much they believe it is superior to the others. No real difference in bigotry levels.

We tamils have respect for all indian languages, we see hindi as an aberration, trying to paint rest of india in its color..

As I said we never want rest of india to be like us, india is beautiful for its diversity..

TN even has holiday for telugu new year and Jaya, Karuna and MGR can trace their origin outside TN..

But when ppl speaking hindi tell us to learn theirs .. they need to be taught humility..

There is a saying u can take a pin out only with another pin.. only if they are shown their deficiency, will they understand and start appreciating differences..

Who told you rest of 75% oppose them ,may you, probably a Tamil may oppose But we dont oppose that.My mother tongue is malayalam .But I dont have any problem with Hindi.
I am an Indian .Those who claim for English is still under psychologicallly colonised by whitemen language pathetic.They loot us ,not a lesson learnt and still aome Indians eager to bow in the front of white a****.To bad
kandoo...haindava iyikkathinu vendi vaathoorathe kavala prasangam nadathiya maharadhanmaar kevalam oru bhashayude perill kalahikunnathu kaanunnille??Kerala thill Muslimkal kooduthallaanenum athinte karanam malayalikalude andhamaaya mathanirapekshitha manasaanennum kuttam paranjavaraanu ithinu munnill nillkunnathennu kaanumbol athishayokthi thonnunu..ivanokkeaanu haindava iyyikam oottiurappikan pokunnathu..thooo.veruthealla India konampidikathathu..

WTF.. i said only english is useful monetarily... both of u have huge comprehension disability..

don't insult us by comparing to hindi chavunists.. we don't want other indians learn our language but hindi wallas want us to learn theirs..

and the view of ADMK and other non DMK parties is exactly same as DMK in Tamil Nadu.. please verify news before claiming anything...
it won't matter much hindi is catching up fast in south indian states...and soon it will be the language spoken through out india....u will see the difference in decade...:woot:

i.and soon it will be the language spoken through out india....u will see the difference in decade...:woot:
this mentality is not fair...i do support learning hindi as a part of national integration...we have our own languages and cultures..don't try to impose hindi forcefully..if anyone wants it feel free to learn..

If Hindi speaking states want to make Hindi popular, the best way to do is to economically strengthen themselves so rest of India learn Hindi to get a job there. Why would anyone, whose native tongue is not Hindi, would want to? To get a job in UP? People learn English because it helps them to get their ends meet.

I cannot help it if you are a Hindi chauvinist who tries to mask his supremacist tendency by equating a mongrel language with a classical language. Sorry you have hard time digesting facts.
so you are calling hindi a mongrel language just because it got mixed with Persian words???
All Indian languages are mixed,including your Tamil..yes,old Tamil may be classic ,not mixed but not in the modern spoken form...apart from ancient dravida origin words,we could see so many Sanskrit,Arabic,urdu words in the modern spoken dialect of Tamil...

it won't matter much hindi is catching up fast in south indian states...and soon it will be the language spoken through out india....u will see the difference in decade...:woot:

south ? does that include Tamilnadu ? if what you cliam is true then why bother to shaft a mongrel language down the throat of Tamils ?

Last edited:
India is an union of many erstwhile nation states that came together and formed the union state of India, it is a federal state, and no single language of one or more states should enjoy extra privileges over other state languages.

And all Indians are proud of the plurality of India and its "Unity in Diversity", and India gets its strength and unity by respecting its diversity equally, any active attempt to promote one regional language like Hindi over other regional languages will actually weaken the strength of India that it derives from its plurality & diversity.

And for kids, try to lift the school bag of a class 2 student before forcing a third language subject down that poor chaps throat. Hindi should continue to spread passively like the way it has spread through films and music and TV shows without any official effort to force it on all Indians.
first thing india is not fedral country...in constitution it says...india is union of states..not a federation...india to be precise is quasi-federal in nature... if u know abt the power and law distribution u must be knowing abt central,state and concurrent list then every law made by state can be overruled and can be amended by parliament if it deemed so...
second yes we say unity in diversity...pluralism is our strength...but to what extent... in india there is lot of differences among each other state...north, south... the a common toung will certainly minimise that differences... and its not like that hindi is something special ..but only because most of the people can speak hindi its obvious that it will take less effort to teach other ... and neither anyone is imposing it in any one ..and regional language is equally important as hindi or tamil or malyalam is...but u can't disagree of a common language will forge a stronger bond among us...

i do not understand how having hindi in school will increase the bag load of a child... do u think the no of classes will increase with addition of just one subject....its not the subject which increases the loads on shoulder but the school which un necessarily put tons of sruff which have no use..like each subject have a class copy and a home copy which can be avoided...
each bench can have book storing space where books csn be stored and many more..

south ? does that include Tamilnadu ? if what you cliam is true then why bother to shaft a mongrel language down the throat of Tamils ?
of course south too include tamilnadu ... do not live in delusion..there was no forcing anytime... govt. only asked the govt. sites and social sites update to be done in particularly in hindi and the other on english...

A black guy considering me Inferior! I've heard it all now.

first thing india is not fedral country...in constitution it says...india is union of states..not a federation...india to be precise is quasi-federal in nature... if u know abt the power and law distribution u must be knowing abt central,state and concurrent list then every law made by state can be overruled and can be amended by parliament if it deemed so...
second yes we say unity in diversity...pluralism is our strength...but to what extent... in india there is lot of differences among each other state...north, south... the a common toung will certainly minimise that differences... and its not like that hindi is something special ..but only because most of the people can speak hindi its obvious that it will take less effort to teach other ... and neither anyone is imposing it in any one ..and regional language is equally important as hindi or tamil or malyalam is...but u can't disagree of a common language will forge a stronger bond among us...

i do not understand how having hindi in school will increase the bag load of a child... do u think the no of classes will increase with addition of just one subject....its not the subject which increases the loads on shoulder but the school which un necessarily put tons of sruff which have no use..like each subject have a class copy and a home copy which can be avoided...
each bench can have book storing space where books csn be stored and many more.

I hate door-to-door sales person, they don't know when to quit, always saying this it better, this is cheap/ easy blah.. blah... We say we don't need it, now leave the door. And for our kids and their future, we always give them what is best for them.

Back
Top Bottom