Olympics: China bid to confirm supremacy

beijingwalker

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
China
Olympics: China bid to confirm supremacyPosted: 02 July 2012 0836 hrs

Photos 1 of 1

China's Liu Xiang, pictured in May 2012. (AFP/File - Peter Parks)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tweet inShare0

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BEIJING: China stunned the world by sweeping to the top of the Olympic medals table at Beijing 2008 -- and ominously for their rivals, they look ready to do it again in London.

Powerhouse performances from marquee athletes Liu Xiang, who recently equalled the 110 metres hurdles world record, and swimmer Sun Yang indicate China will prove that Beijing was no one-off.

Four years ago, China won 51 golds, 21 silvers and 28 bronzes to top the victory table for the first time in an Olympic Games, relegating the mighty United States to second place.

Together with an exquisite opening ceremony, state-of-the-art venues and measures that even extended to clearing Beijing's infamous smog, it was an unmistakable statement from the emerging superpower.

Now China will look to extend its domination to London, capital of one-time colonial power Britain.

Liu clocked a wind-assisted 12.87 seconds in the 110m hurdles in the run-up to London, matching history's fastest time, as he looks to atone for Beijing when his injury withdrawal deflated a packed Bird's Nest Stadium.

"My dream is just to stand on the Olympic track," Liu told reporters. "I hope to keep this good form and give full play to my training."

Sun looks certain to be among the medals in the pool, after obliterating Grant Hackett's 10-year-old 1,500m record at the world championships last year in Shanghai.

But the real story of China's success is in the medal-heavy niche sports, after they mined table-tennis, badminton, diving, shooting and weightlifting, as well as gymnastics, for 38 of their 51 titles in Beijing.

Among those were a clean-sweep of the table-tennis events and seven out of eight diving golds, eight of 15 weightlifting titles, 11 of 18 in gymnastics, and half of the 10 shooting categories.

It's a pattern that's likely to be repeated in London, with China reigning supreme in badminton, diving and table tennis, and narrowly ahead of the United States at last year's world gymnastics championships.

A perfect five badminton titles looks on with Lin Dan, widely seen as the sport's greatest player, favourite to defend his men's title after leading China to an emphatic victory in the Thomas Cup team tournament in May.

In table tennis, China has lost multiple Olympic women's champions Zhang Yining and Wang Nan to retirement, but there's no shortage of replacements on what seems a conveyor belt of lightning paddlers.

Such stars include Zhang Jike, the current men's world champion and World Cup title-holder, and Ding Ning, who holds the equivalent women's honours.

"The Olympic Games hold different meanings to different players. To us, it only means to win the gold medals," said Liu Guoliang, head coach of China's men's table tennis team.

China's formidable "Dream Team" of divers swept all gold medals on offer at last year's world championships in Shanghai, and they will be desperate to go one better than 2008, when they fell just one Olympic title short.

"Our winning streak may lead to complacency and make us neglect our problems. It is a challenge, actually," said perfectionist team manager Zhou Jihong.

According to coaches and athletes, the success of Beijing re-invigorated China's Olympic-focused, state-run sports system and ensured ample funding for facilities and the training of a new generation of competitors.

The Soviet-style sports schools, which select and groom potential athletes from a young age, often with hours of tough training every day, have also produced world champions in swimming, judo, wrestling, boxing, archery and rowing.

Despite their successes, Chinese sports officials are, as ever, playing down hopes for the 380 Chinese athletes expected to participate in London, saying they will face "strong challenges" in repeating the feats of Beijing.

"Because a number of Olympic and world champions retired after the Beijing Games, a younger generation will form the bulk of the Chinese Olympic legion," said Cai Zhenhua, China's vice sports minister and an ex-table tennis player.

"Some of our young athletes lack international exposure and consistency, so we cannot be very optimistic about their performances," added Cai.

-AFP/ac

I guess Lee Chong Wei will not be able to win Malaysia's first Olympic gold.

Lee_Chong_Wei_winner_Korea_Cup_Jan_2012.jpg

Datuk Lee Chong Wei(L) and Lin Dan

No chance.... China will fight uk, australia for 3rd place.... America and russia will be 1 and 2.... i have seen how china did in olympics in 2008 and asian games.... in asian games Our boxer mary kom was heavy on the chinese boxer. i saw see clearly won.... Yet in split decision chinese boxer won. China will always be number 1 in her own country.... Same thing with india. We beaten uk in our own country which we cant do in olympics.... i have seen how china treated every presidents and pm.s in olympic where in opening ceremony chinese president sat far above then all other presidents and pm.s.... China is totaly different country. It always tries to show its outter shiny power but china nowhere near the other countries. China just went ahead in GDP but not by standards.... Japan far ahead then china even when china has more GDP.... In this olympics china will be exposed totaly. No chance of cheating in this olympics. Uk doesnt like china and uk is puppet of america.... By the way even india will shock world by earning more medals then ever before. As i said india was victim in 2008 olympics.... It will no longer be. This olympics will prove it. However it will be big slap on congress face who dont even feed food to our players who won many medals before.... Yesterday i saw our wrestler pulling cart loaded with 1000kg stuffs. He was pulling for food.... Big shame on indian goverment....

No chance.... China will fight uk, australia for 3rd place.... America and russia will be 1 and 2.... i have seen how china did in olympics in 2008 and asian games.... in asian games Our boxer mary kom was heavy on the chinese boxer. i saw see clearly won.... Yet in split decision chinese boxer won. China will always be number 1 in her own country.... Same thing with india. We beaten uk in our own country which we cant do in olympics.... i have seen how china treated every presidents and pm.s in olympic where in opening ceremony chinese president sat far above then all other presidents and pm.s.... China is totaly different country. It always tries to show its outter shiny power but china nowhere near the other countries. China just went ahead in GDP but not by standards.... Japan far ahead then china even when china has more GDP.... In this olympics china will be exposed totaly. No chance of cheating in this olympics. Uk doesnt like china and uk is puppet of america.... By the way even india will shock world by earning more medals then ever before. As i said india was victim in 2008 olympics.... It will no longer be. This olympics will prove it. However it will be big slap on congress face who dont even feed food to our players who won many medals before.... Yesterday i saw our wrestler pulling cart loaded with 1000kg stuffs. He was pulling for food.... Big shame on indian goverment....

My advice dont smoke too much what you been smoking

@chinatoday sorry if i hurted your feelings.... i just told the truth. i dont smoke, i dont drink. Am pure vegeterian.... Just once in ur life dont smoke, drink, eat nonveg for a month and see the positive effects....

China will definitely stay the number 1,most predictions made by different institutions around the world all reached this consensus,don't know why some Indians are so worked up,where is India on the medal tally list??

China predicted to win medal count at London Olympics
by Stephen Wilson - Apr. 12, 2012 01:27 PM
AP Sports Writer
LONDON (AP) -- Sebastian Coe predicts China will outperform the United States to win the medals race at the London Olympics.

Coe, the two-time 1,500-meter Olympic champion who heads London's organizing committee for the games, said China has expanded its sporting prowess beyond its traditional strengths and should take home the most medals this summer."I think it will be China, U.S., and then Russia," Coe said in an interview Thursday with The Associated Press ahead of next week's 100-day countdown to the games. "I just think if you look at it, in its entirety, (it will be) China."

The Americans led the overall medal count at the 2008 Beijing Games with 110 -- 10 more than China. The Chinese won the most gold medals with 51, while the U.S. was second with 36.

"Look at the way the Chinese have ranged far wider than some of their staple sports like gymnastics," Coe said. "They have strength in the pool, women's football. It's going to be a truly global games."

Luciano Barra, a former Italian Olympic official who projects Olympic results, recently predicted that China would win 103 total medals, including 43 gold, in London. He projected the U.S. winning 82 total medals, including 35 gold, with Russia third with 76 and 30.

Coe said the fight for fourth place in the London medals "is going to be as tough as it's ever been."

Britain finished fourth in Beijing with 47 medals and is targeting the same position on home soil, but Coe said Germany, France and Australia will be pushing hard.

"The Germans are probably going to bring the strongest team they've ever brought to a games," he said. "The French are very, very strong this time, and the Australians will think fourth place is very much up for grabs. We (Britain) could end up with more medals than we got in Beijing and maybe not finish fourth in the medals table."

Coe singled out two star names that will stand out in London -- Usain Bolt, the Jamaican who won gold medals in the 100 and 200 meters and sprint relay in world-record times in Beijing, and U.S. swimmer Michael Phelps, who captured a record eight golds in China.

"Clearly, in my own sport, Usain Bolt is Muhammad Ali," Coe said. "It's what all the kids talk about when I'm in schools. And Michael Phelps is a massive, massive name."

Coe, who won gold medals in the 1,500 at the 1980 and 1984 Olympics, believes new names will emerge to grab the spotlight.

"The Olympic Games has a very unhealthy respect for reputation," he said. "Any athlete thinking they're sailing into London with an Olympic gold medal nailed on (is making a mistake). The great thing about the games is that it will throw up people who are going to absolutely rip up the form book and they may not even realize it."

Coe, who has traveled around the world in the buildup to the games, senses athletes are primed to excel in London.

"They are talking about these games in a way I've never heard athletes talk about games in the past," he said. "I think by the very nature of those conversations, we're going to see athletes participating at an extraordinarily high level."

Coe said no decision has been made on who will light the flame at the July 27 opening ceremony. British bookmakers list Britain's five-time rowing gold medalist Steve Redgrave as the odds-on favorite, with Kelly Holmes, Roger Bannister and Daley Thompson among other favorites.

"I love speculating about it as well," Coe said. "None of us have had any conversations about it. There have been no formal conversations about it, at all. What I can confirm is that it won't be me. I'm going to be pretty hands-full that week."

i think ipl is more fun than ilympics which is a waste of money for just 15 days of running and circus

No chance.... China will fight uk, australia for 3rd place.... America and russia will be 1 and 2.....

you know nothing about sports,do you?my advice..watch more sports events and do some study and analysis,and then talk. Russians and British will fight for the third place,they can't even get close to China and US and all the lastest predictions show that China will beat US,(some say narrowly,some say by a big margin) and maintain the top spot.

Russia Aiming for Bronze at the Olympics
June 26 (Reuters)

Sports Minister Vitaly Mutko thinks the Russian team will take third place at the London 2012 Olympic Games in the face of stiff competition from other frontrunners.

“We will fight for a place in the top three, but we won't be able to catch the Americans or the Chinese,” Mutko said at a news conference Tuesday, Interfax reported.

“Our main competitor for third place will be the United Kingdom,” Mutko said.
He said that the entire Russian team will consist of 440 to 445 athletes, with the final list to be confirmed by July 11. The athletes will begin to head to London on July 21, and the Russian flag will officially be raised in the Olympic Village on July 25.
Mutko also said he might resign if the team fares poorly at the games.

I hope Russians can beat Britain and get the third place.

@chinatoday sorry if i hurted your feelings.... i just told the truth. i dont smoke, i dont drink. Am pure vegeterian.... Just once in ur life dont smoke, drink, eat nonveg for a month and see the positive effects....

we are sorry cause we believe when talking about sports and Olympics,we definitely hurt your feelings.

i still think australia will finnish 5th

i think it will go in this order

china
usa
russia
britain
australia
germany

Back
Top Bottom