What's new

Not treaty, eye partnership with Bangladesh Navy: US Pacific Fleet commande

Avisheik

Reaction score
Country
Bangladesh
United States’ Pacific Fleet commander Admiral Cecil D Haney on Tuesday said the US Navy is eying partnership, not treaties with its Bangladesh counterpart.

US Navy is counting on strengthening partnership with Bangladesh Navy on maritime security enhancement as part of its rebalancing strategy in the Asia Pacific region, he said during a media roundtable at the US Ambassador’s residence in the city.

Admiral Haney said the US Navy is now focused on ensuring peace and security in the Asia Pacific region primarily for the sake of economic stability of all the parties involved.

Asked, he also ruled out the possibility of any maritime treaty or agreement with Bangladesh anytime soon, saying ‘it’s not on the board’.

As part of the rebalancing strategy in the Asia Pacific, it’s not just about military-military cooperation, but also about government-government partnership to make smooth the movement of commerce through the sea-lanes of the region, said the visiting US Admiral.

He noted that of the US$ 5 trillion dollars trade movement through the Malacca Straits, US$ 1.3 trillion dollars is directly related to the US.

Admiral Haney also pointed out that improving the maritime boundary awareness through sharing of information and knowledge is vital for peace and commerce in the region.

“Working hand in hand through military exercises will help us understand what each can bring in,” he said regarding the type and intensity of Navy-Navy collaboration that the US Navy is pursuing with its Bangladesh counterpart.

US Ambassador in Dhaka Dan W Mozena supplemented Admiral Haney’s point about the commercial importance of the Asia Pacific sea-lanes, saying that the route is also a serious concern for Bangladesh as most of the readymade garment exports of the country is transported through it.

Mozena added that the fisheries as well as the potential energy resources falling under the maritime boundary of Bangladesh also need to be protected.

Earlier on September 16 last year, US 7th Fleet commander Scott H Swift at a media roundtable in Dhaka told reporters: “We’re more interested to assist Bangladesh Army and Navy to enhance their ability to protect its maritime resources from pirates, protect country from terrorist attack and co-operate during natural disasters.”

Scot said this after he ruled out the possibility of setting up a naval base at Chittagong for the US 7th Fleet.

UNBconnect... - Not treaty, eye partnership with Bangladesh Navy: US Pacific Fleet commander

US understands very well that india is the evil bad boy of south asia and to counter its bad a$$ ( n not "bada$$) navy, only bangladesh navy is potent enuf in the long run. there had been lots of US-Bd navy exercises recently to prove my point.

I think seeing how US treats allies i would be scared if i was from Bangladesh. Now you will be thinking " Great. their goes our politics and international freedom. Now we will be brought into a war and then abandoned and blamed for their failures."

I think seeing how US treats allies i would be scared if i was from Bangladesh. Now you will be thinking " Great. their goes our politics and international freedom. Now we will be brought into a war and then abandoned and blamed for their failures."

Yeah its risky but there isn't much other option to keep India in bay.

This is good news for Bangladesh.

1. At a time when Burma is being wooed more and more by Washington it serves as a reminder that Bangladesh is very much still important, if not more important, to the US.

2. It clearly sends a signal to New Delhi that the US is monitoring Indo-Bangla affairs and will not allow India to bully Bangladesh in terms of maritime territory.

3. I think the Sri Lankan navy has a good relationship with the US navy too.

I am afraid this arrangement with the US is not aimed at India, the main target is China.

What evidence, if any, do you have for such a bold claim?

Don't say it's part of the US rivalry with China but provide concrete proof.

What evidence, if any, do you have for such a bold claim?

Don't say it's part of the US rivalry with China but provide concrete proof.

Proof ?
You mean apart from the active American engagement with SE.Asian countries esp. around the naval partnership ?

You don't know what you are talking about nor the specific realities of Bangladesh or our region.

1. The US has clearly said Bangladesh is responsible for the security of the bay of Bengal, diplomatic code speak that it is BD turf and for India and Burma to back off.

2. The US is expanding its presence in north-east India e.g. they have opened a big consulate in Tripura.

3. The US also supports Christian missionary groups in North-east India which contribute heavily to the increased feelings of being different from the rest of Hindu India.

4. The US does not want an overly powerful India in the north-east and wants Indian power to be countered i.e. typical western divide and rule. Containment of China is important but in this context India is the main issue here.

China is Bangladesh's biggest military supplier and ally and even the US has no problem with that.

Please do not make wild comments unless you have more knowledge on a topic.

This is an opportunity. Given our position and the interest in the region of three big countries China, USA and India with all of whom uniquely we have good relations it's a plus plus for us. Their opposing interest guarantees ours. We need to ensure we do not lean towards any too much and for too long.

The great thing is we are not so critical to any of them that they will go for broke and fight but we are
significant enough to be kept on board. The whole thing is a plus plus for us. USA and china do not want an India too strong as such there is convergence of interest, USA and India do not want a strong china but can do nothing about it so BD being in chinas sphere of influence does us no harm . As for India I think it is inconceivable that there will be ever a war between us, in future I see greater connectivity and economic activity.

I do not personally see any danger in embracing the bigger countries, we just need to ensure we give each of them the same among of love.

This is an opportunity. Given our position and the interest in the region of three big countries China, USA and India with all of whom uniquely we have good relations it's a plus plus for us. Their opposing interest guarantees ours. We need to ensure we do not lean towards any too much and for too long.

The great thing is we are not so critical to any of them that they will go for broke and fight but we are
significant enough to be kept on board. The whole thing is a plus plus for us. USA and china do not want an India too strong as such there is convergence of interest, USA and India do not want a strong china but can do nothing about it so BD being in chinas sphere of influence does us no harm . As for India I think it is inconceivable that there will be ever a war between us, in future I see greater connectivity and economic activity.

I do not personally see any danger in embracing the bigger countries, we just need to ensure we give each of them the same among of love.

I agree with your sentiments.

Fair trade and co-operation is my ideal vision for BD-India relations.

Back
Top Bottom