What's new

New Survey 2010 - India's Most Trusted : "Dr. APJ Abdul Kalam"

Chanakyaa

BANNED
Reaction score
Country
India
Former president and space scientist Dr APJ Kalam continues to ignite minds while Ratan Tata's entrepreneurial and philanthropic vision is an inspiration for India as the country affirms its faith in these extraordinary individuals.

The two men were voted the "most trusted" in a list of 100 public figures from across India, randomly chosen by the editors of Reader's Digest.

The list featured some of India's perennial favourites, including Amitabh Bachchan, Kiran Bedi, Sachin Tendulkar and A R Rahman. Indians also reveal some new preferences with the inclusion of Congress Party leader Rahul Gandhi, Delhi Metro chairman E Sreedharan and ace marksman Abhinav Bindra in the top 30.

When it comes to the most trusted professions in India, teachers, fire fighters and humble farmers lead the list.

But the verdict is abysmal for politicians, real estate agents, government officials and police officers, who rank at the bottom of the Trust Survey of 40 everyday Indian professions.

The Trust Survey, conducted for the first time in India, and the cover story in the March issue of Reader's Digest, carries fascinating findings from the Digest's exclusive, independent poll, which reveals the people and professions we trust … and those we don't. A cross section of 750 Indians were surveyed online and asked to rank the shortlisted individuals and professions they have the most faith in.

* India's most trusted:
These are the architects of modern India. Their vision, determination and perseverance to overcome the odds and reach the pinnacle of success have inspired a whole generation of Indians.
* Honesty, simplicity and a social consciousness are just some of the defining traits common to :

India's most trusted individuals….

(1) APJ Abdul Kalam, former President
(2) Ratan Tata, chairman of the Tata group
(3) Kiran Bedi, former police official
(4) Narayana Murthy, co-founder of Infosys Technologies Ltd
(5) A R Rahman, Oscar-winning composer
(6) Viswanathan Anand, chess grandmaster
(7) Dr Manmohan Singh, prime minister
(8) Sachin Tendulkar, cricketer
(9) R K Laxman, cartoonist
(10) Amartya Sen, Nobel Prize-winning economist, who shares 10th place with space scientist G Madhavan Nair and businessman Azim Premji.

* And the least trusted:
Those who failed to make it high on the list too make for interesting reading. In stark contrast to the most trusted, a general disenchantment, and low levels of transparency in their actions combined with a feeling of mistrust mark those at the tail end of the list. Among them: (90) MF Hussain, artist (94) LK Advani, opposition leader, (96) Mamta Banerjee, politician (98) Prakash Karat, CPI(M) leader (99) Lalu Prasad Yadav, politician and (100) Mayawati, the UP chief minister.
* Most tusted professions:
Going by its long-held tradition of honouring those who teach, protect and provide, India continues to revere and and regard its (1) teachers (2) firefighters and (3) farmers. Scientists and members of the armed forces share 4th position, followed by doctors, pilots, surgeons, nurses and engineers.
* Most distusted:
Bringing up the bottom of the list are religious leaders, lawyers, police officers, government officials, real estate agents, and last in the list, politicians.
* People:
Ratan Tata's trust ranking is based on his having delivered on his "Nano-promise", and Rahul Gandhi having given a new meaning to grassroots politics with his promises for the common man, were voted amongst our most trusted. Ranked 29, Rahul Gandhi is the only young political leader in the list and one of only three politicians to figure in the top 30.

With Prime Minister Manmohan Singh at 7th position - high for any political leader - the country reveals its continued trust in the current government. This is further confirmed by placing Mayawati, Lalu Prasad and Prakash Karat at the very bottom - the continued disdain for the mega-egos of the political class is clearly evident.

The respondents look to certain personalities for authentic, trustworthy news stories and analyses. And although journalists as a group scored low (rank: 30 out of 40 in the list of most / least trusted professions), NDTV news anchor and president Prannoy Roy ranked 28th out of 100; Times of India columnist Swaminathan S Anklesaria Aiyar (37th), Times editorial director Jaideeep Bose (46th) and The Hindu editor-in-chief N Ram (43rd).

But far away on the media spectrum, Indians renounced any love for melodrama, placing tele-queen Ekta Kapoor at 95.

* Sports icons
We place incredible pressure on sportspeople to be community leaders as well. For their ability to perform constantly, win laurels in the international arena and maintain personal charisma, our trust list features sports personalities not just from cricket. Chess grandmaster Viswanathan Anand takes a coveted 6th position while Sachin Tendulkar came close (8th). Shooter Abhinav Bhindra (25th) and skipperMahendra Singh Dhoni (42nd) also did quite well.

Though cricket is practically another religion in India, it's a surprise that that Anand edged past Tendulkar. Does this signal changing attitudes towards other sports?

Business leaders
Consistent performance in difficult times, leading their corporations effectively and delivering even more than they promised has placed many of India's captains of industry in respectable positions on the trust list: Ratan Tata (2nd), Narayan Murthy (4th), Azim Premji (10th), Nandan Nilekani (13th), Lakshmi Mittal (15th), Sunil Mittal (26th) and Rahul Bajaj (30th).

PS : In the Top ten List 3 are Muslim Citizens , This is yet another Undeniable Proof that In India we Are All ONE, we shall remain ONE with a single Identity of being Indians and Love each other in the ONE family called BHARAT.

Dr. Kalam is really the black pearl of india

Well, he is the only one of his kind, what a humble man he is.
I had the opportunity to ask a Qs. to him when he came to our college ... and what Einstein said about Gandhi, applies to him as well....

"future generations will find it hard to believe that such a man walked in flesh and bones on this earth"

Well, he is the only one of his kind, what a humble man he is.
I had the opportunity to ask a Qs. to him when he came to our college ... and what Einstein said about Gandhi, applies to him as well....

"future generations will find it hard to believe that such a man walked in flesh and bones on this earth"

I agree.
Just one thing, I am a bit skeptical about politicians area. I believe it is favouring Congress a bit. Not specific to MMS (he indeed deserves the place) but other such as Rahul Gandhi. However this is my personal observation.

I agree.
Just one thing, I am a bit skeptical about politicians area. I believe it is favouring Congress a bit. Not specific to MMS (he indeed deserves the place) but other such as Rahul Gandhi. However this is my personal observation.

i agree to ur point.
but with BJP out of picture the Congress Bent is NOT a surprise especially in the "National" Frame.

Survey involving only 750 Indians who have Internet access----not credible at all.

Just my 2 cents

Survey involving only 750 Indians who have Internet access----not credible at all.

Just my 2 cents

The Might of Dr. Kalam's Name doesnt need any Survey to Prove his Popularity and Trust.

He is By Far The Most popular President, Scientist "Missile Man" and Most Patriotic Indian as a whole.

He study in St. Joseph College, Trichy. its in my local city, Im bit proud of it i once give handshake to him while he came to our college during president ara

Dr Abdul Kalam is also very popular in Pakistan

majority of Pakistanis respect him

PS : In the Top ten List 3 are Muslim Citizens , This is yet another Undeniable Proof that In India we Are All ONE, we shall remain ONE with a single Identity of being Indians and Love each other in the ONE family called BHARAT.

Also, don't miss MMS and Ratan Tata, both so called minority.

However, EjazR has a vilid criticism about the methodology.

Sir you missed to count 1 parsi and 2 sikhs in the top 10 list and I am proud of each one of them..

Just my 2 cents

Ejaz sir, This could be a survey of 750 indians but I am sure that no Indian will disagree with the top 10 names. They all are a different class no body can beat them..

Back
Top Bottom