What's new

New oil and gas reserve found in Sindh

Edevelop

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan

KARACHI: The Pakistan Exploration Limited has found a new reserve of oil and gas in district Badin, Geo News reported.

According to a statement issued here on Tuesday, with the new exploration 11.3 million cubic feet gas and 115 barrel oil will be recovered from the Aisha Field on daily basis.

It said the PEL has acquired on rent a rig for exploration in south Badin while it has got six locations on lease for the purpose. The PEL has been given responsibility of oil and gas exploration on 10 blocks including 1 off shore location.

New oil and gas reserve found in Sindh - thenews.com.pk

Last edited:
Business-Oil-Gas-recoverd_2-25-2014_139109_l.jpg

Such an idiot editor of The News showing Badin as a border district at Indo-Pakistan border ....

map.JPG

KARACHI: The Pakistan Exploration Limited has found a new reserve of oil and gas in district Badin, Geo News reported.

According to a statement issued here on Tuesday, with the new exploration 11.3 million cubic feet gas and 115 barrel oil will be recovered from the Aisha Field on daily basis.

It said the PEL has acquired on rent a rig for exploration in south Badin while it has got six locations on lease for the purpose. The PEL has been given responsibility of oil and gas exploration on 10 blocks including 1 off shore location.

This is a 'GAS' field. The small amount of liquid associated with it is 'CONDENSATE' also known as NGL or natural gas liquid. Any news in this regards is good news.

For the general information:

There is oil & gas present in the region along Sind/ Rajasthan border. While oil production in Sindh is hovering around the 20-30,000 barrels per day. There have been major discoveries just across the border in Indian Rajasthan where oil was first discovered in 1999.

The three fields Mangala, Bhayam & Aishwarya in the Barmar basin boast recoverable reserves of more than 1-billion barrels. During the recent Institute of Petroleum conference, I met delegates from Reliance & Essar Petroleum where I was informed that production from Rajasthan has already crossed 220,000 barrels per day and expected to peak at about 300,000 barrels per day. The field are operated by Cairn India ltd majority shares owned by Vedanta group.

I would therefore urge GOP to continue exploration in this region and if lucky we could hit a 500-million plus barrel reservoir as well.

This is a 'GAS' field. The small amount of liquid associated with it is 'CONDENSATE' also known as NGL or natural gas liquid. Any news in this regards is good news.

For the general information:

There is oil & gas present in the region along Sind/ Rajasthan border. While oil production in Sindh is hovering around the 20-30,000 barrels per day. There have been major discoveries just across the border in Indian Rajasthan where oil was first discovered in 1999.

The three fields Mangala, Bhayam & Aishwarya in the Barmar basin boast recoverable reserves of more than 1-billion barrels. During the recent Institute of Petroleum conference, I met delegates from Reliance & Essar Petroleum where I was informed that production from Rajasthan has already crossed 220,000 barrels per day and expected to peak at about 300,000 barrels per day. The field are operated by Cairn India ltd majority shares owned by Vedanta group.

I would therefore urge GOP to continue exploration in this region and if lucky we could hit a 500-million plus barrel reservoir as well.

Pardon my ignorance but can by any chance these oil/gas fields be connected under ground as Border in geological terms is a hypothetical line . In that case wouldn't we be competing for same resources or am i completely wrong with my oil/gas knowledge ?

115 barrel oil will be recovered from the Aisha Field on daily basis.

115 barrel a day is way too less .

Pardon my ignorance but can by any chance these oil/gas fields be connected under ground as Border in geological terms is a hypothetical line . In that case wouldn't we be competing for same resources or am i completely wrong with my oil/gas knowledge ?

Not all oil/gas wells are usually connected if that's what you mean. The current finds in Sindh may indeed extend upto Indian territories, in which case agreements need to made on the extraction share. But the full extent or expanse of the new fields also need to be determined. (many Arab countries operate transnational oil/gas fields wherein the daily extraction rates and overall share are agreed beforehand.)

In answer to your question, it is highly unlikely that any large undiscovered hydrocarbon reservoirs are in existence that transverse the international border. However, general theory being that millions of years ago animals and plants were buried underneath the sea/mud; sedimentary basins are the most common places where the crude oil is found. There was no boundary in the Cretaceous age hence there could be oil bearing structures from Indus basin all the way across Rajasthan & Gujarat.

There are already many small oil & gas bearing structures in the area bordering Rajasthan; starting from Dharki in south East Punjab all the way down to Badin. However most of the structures are rather small. Now that oil is found in large quantities just across the border In Barmer; it is probable that some sizeable structures on our side of the border are waiting to be discovered.

Remember I said ‘If we are lucky’.

I have already stated that it is not an oil field, it is a gas field and 115 barrels is condensate normally associated with gas producing fields.

Last edited:

Sindh and Balochistan along with other provinces has huge potential of Oil, Gas and Coal. GoP needs to bring Middle Eastern investors in Pakistan. There are very huge Oil and Gas reserves in Sea as well.

Such an idiot editor of The News showing Badin as a border district at Indo-Pakistan border ....

map.JPG

Will Sindh Govt expand its port operations to Thatta???

Will Sindh Govt expand its port operations to Thatta???

don't know there was some work was done in previous government but what is the status not known ......

don't know there was some work was done in previous government but what is the status not known ......

Govt. of Sindh had plans in the previous time to expand port and shipping to Thatta. We wish to see two mega shipyards in its East and West Zones along with super Naval bases too.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom