What's new

Nawaz govt puts Iran oil refinery at Gwadar in jeopardy.

Kompromat

ADMINISTRATOR
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
ISLAMABAD:

A multi-billion-dollar oil refinery planned to be built by Iran at Gwadar port is facing an uncertain fate as Pakistan government has refused to grant the same incentive to the refinery that was offered to Pak Arab Refinery Limited (Parco).

According to sources, the government had promised a 25% rate of return to Parco, jointly owned by the government of Pakistan and Abu Dhabi, at the time of commissioning the project and the incentive lasted for eight years. However, the same rate of return is not being offered to Iran.
Despite attempts to contact the petroleum secretary, he was not available for comments.
During the tenure of previous government, Iran had agreed to set up the country’s largest oil refinery at Gwadar port costing $4 billion and with a refining capacity of 400,000 barrels per day.

4b.jpg

Iranian Oil Minister Rostam Ghasemi, during a trip to Islamabad in February this year, agreed with Pakistan authorities to build the refinery in a joint venture with oil marketing giant Pakistan State Oil (PSO). This was expected to not only meet Pakistan’s refining needs, but also open avenues for China to tap oil supplies. The refinery was part of an oil complex being built by Iran at the Gwadar port. According to the original plan, Tehran was also interested in laying an oil pipeline from its territory to Gwadar to transport crude oil for processing. According to a senior government official, China had also come up with a plan to construct oil and gas pipelines from Gwadar under the Pak-China Economic Corridor.

tehran-was.jpg

Beijing expressed interest in the oil pipeline under a programme to link Iran with China through oil and gas pipelines. Earlier, China was interested in joining the Iran-Pakistan gas pipeline project, but did not push ahead with the plan following handover of Gwadar port operations to Singapore Port Authority, an official said. Now that Beijing has taken over control of the port, it is going ahead with different projects including oil and gas pipelines.Former president Pervez Musharraf had also coined the idea of establishing a trade corridor to meet Beijing’s energy needs and offered help for constructing a strategic oil pipeline from Gwadar to China’s border.

Published in The Express Tribune, September 19th, 2013.

In limbo: Gwadar oil refinery future uncertain – The Express Tribune

Needless to say 'who' is pulling strings on our country this time. We clearly had this one coming, didn't we !

ISLAMABAD:

A multi-billion-dollar oil refinery planned to be built by Iran at Gwadar port is facing an uncertain fate as Pakistan government has refused to grant the same incentive to the refinery that was offered to Pak Arab Refinery Limited (Parco).

According to sources, the government had promised a 25% rate of return to Parco, jointly owned by the government of Pakistan and Abu Dhabi, at the time of commissioning the project and the incentive lasted for eight years. However, the same rate of return is not being offered to Iran.
Despite attempts to contact the petroleum secretary, he was not available for comments.
During the tenure of previous government, Iran had agreed to set up the country’s largest oil refinery at Gwadar port costing $4 billion and with a refining capacity of 400,000 barrels per day.

4b.jpg

Iranian Oil Minister Rostam Ghasemi, during a trip to Islamabad in February this year, agreed with Pakistan authorities to build the refinery in a joint venture with oil marketing giant Pakistan State Oil (PSO). This was expected to not only meet Pakistan’s refining needs, but also open avenues for China to tap oil supplies. The refinery was part of an oil complex being built by Iran at the Gwadar port. According to the original plan, Tehran was also interested in laying an oil pipeline from its territory to Gwadar to transport crude oil for processing. According to a senior government official, China had also come up with a plan to construct oil and gas pipelines from Gwadar under the Pak-China Economic Corridor.

tehran-was.jpg

Beijing expressed interest in the oil pipeline under a programme to link Iran with China through oil and gas pipelines. Earlier, China was interested in joining the Iran-Pakistan gas pipeline project, but did not push ahead with the plan following handover of Gwadar port operations to Singapore Port Authority, an official said. Now that Beijing has taken over control of the port, it is going ahead with different projects including oil and gas pipelines.Former president Pervez Musharraf had also coined the idea of establishing a trade corridor to meet Beijing’s energy needs and offered help for constructing a strategic oil pipeline from Gwadar to China’s border.

Published in The Express Tribune, September 19th, 2013.

In limbo: Gwadar oil refinery future uncertain – The Express Tribune

Needless to say 'who' is pulling strings on our country this time. We clearly had this one coming, didn't we !

About time people acclimatize themselves with the term "economic hitmen".:coffee:

Nawaz is supposed to be the business savvy one out of all the Pakistani politicos, no?
@Armstrong Ab agar Punjab pe ungli uthe toh don't get your knickers in a twist.

Last edited by a moderator:
About time people acclimatize themselves with the term "economic hitmen".:coffee:

Nawaz is supposed to be the business savvy one out of all the Pakistani politicos, no?

I said it earlier - he has been 'brought' for stopping this project.

Why not ?

The last Government ate up everything & took more loans than the past 60 or so years combined despite failing in every economic & social indicator - No one raised a finger at Sindh !

Why not ?

The last Government ate up everything & took more loans than the past 60 or so years combined despite failing in every economic & social indicator - No one raised a finger at Sindh !

Here is your chance to rectify said situation, maybe even bring in that social and economic development in insurgency hit Baluchistan (you know the same measures you keep screaming for). Enjoy tind pulao, now let me see what porridge of misery my leaders are cooking.:mps:

@Armstrong

Lets just hope that the Chinese play tabla on his tind - they are our last hope in this regard.

Here is your chance to rectify said situation, maybe even bring in that social and economic development in insurgency hit Baluchistan (you know the same measures you keep screaming for). Enjoy tind pulao, now let me see what porridge of misery my leaders are cooking.:mps:

After the 18th Amendment its the Provinces that cook & eat their own Tind Pulao !

Baluchistan has a Baluch Nationalists Chief Minister who is allowed to form his own cabinet from his Baloch Nationalist Party whereas the Governor is a Pukhtoon Nationalist from the Pukhtoonkhwa Mili Awami Party despite PML N being the largest party in Baluchistan they choose to empower the aforementioned two !

Whereas in KPK ! PML N had the opportunity to form a Government but instead he let PTI form the Government therein !

In Sindh.....PPP formed the Government with MQM being the second largest Party !

So barring Punjab, those portfolios that haven't been devolved to the Provinces & Strategies that require movement at the National Level, I can't see what else PML N can really do ! :unsure:

I just hope that the Baluchistan Government & the KPK Government who have exponentially increased their Educational Budgets are able to bring memorable changes or at least perceptible changes in the Provinces they've formed Governments in !

As for the Refinery - Its not as if Nawaz is taking dictation from the Saudis because if that is what the news piece is trying to imply than Syria was the greatest Litmus Test for it !

I think, Nawaz, has put it on hold due to the deadlock on the Gas Pipeline in that whether there would be sanctions or not on Pakistan in case it goes forward with it never mind actually inviting the Iranians to open a Refinery in Pakistan !

I think hes waiting for the US & the New Iranian Government to interact a bit more so that anything beyond mere predictions can establish whether there really is a thawing in US-Iran Relations as many have predicted or is it going to be business as usual with the possibility of further tensions !

Clearly shows that nawaz is bowing down to US-KSA pressure, atleast accept the offers Russia is offering!
And some fake PTIANS still defending noora after this!!

In my humble opinion Iranian refinery at Gwadar was never more than a pipe dream.

SATROP (Saudi Arab Total refining & petrochemical company) 400,000 bbl/day refinery at Jubail which is coming on stream next month costs $9-billion. The figure of $4-billion for modern 20-million ton (400,000 bbl. per day) refinery is too low. If it is only a simple refinery, it would not be economically viable and unable to compete with export refineries in the Arab Gulf region.

The concept is basically flawed. Iranian port Chahbahar is less than 100 miles from Gwadar. Unlike Gwadar, which is still not fully developed, Chahbahar port started operation in 1983 and its “International Free Zone” has been ready since 1992! Pray tell me why would Iran establish a refinery at Gwadar and not at Chahbahar?

Parco is an inland refinery and was incorporated in 1974 with 60% share owned by GOP and 40% by the Emirate of Abu Dhabi. Gwadar refinery was supposed to be 100% Iranian venture thus a different case altogether.

I am with Nawaz Sharif on this one.

my father used to say we have more country haters in Pakistan than any other nation or country, I used to say its not that they are just stupid and dont know that you dont start rumors against your own family

In my humble opinion Iranian refinery at Gwadar was never more than a pipe dream.

SATROP (Saudi Arab Total refining & petrochemical company) 400,000 bbl/day refinery at Jubail which is coming on stream next month costs $9-billion. The figure of $4-billion for modern 20-million ton (400,000 bbl. per day) refinery is too low. If it is only a simple refinery, it would not be economically viable and unable to compete with export refineries in the Arab Gulf region.

The concept is basically flawed. Iranian port Chahbahar is less than 100 miles from Gwadar. Unlike Gwadar, which is still not fully developed, Chahbahar port started operation in 1983 and its “International Free Zone” has been ready since 1992! Pray tell me why would Iran establish a refinery at Gwadar and not at Chahbahar?

Parco is an inland refinery and was incorporated in 1974 with 60% share owned by GOP and 40% by the Emirate of Abu Dhabi. Gwadar refinery was supposed to be 100% Iranian venture thus a different case altogether.

I am with Nawaz Sharif on this one.
simply to by pass restriction on exports that are going to come in effect on iran plus it was a move to counter saudi influence..

well i think we should keep away from iran even india and china are keeping away as usa CENTRAL BANK problem will arise.
however IP line if on barter trade then it can be workable

so what do you expect from murtid e ala and amir ul fasiqeen.......aka the ganja baradaran....

Back
Top Bottom