What's new

Navy plans to ditch Dhruv helicopters

Khalsa

BANNED
Reaction score
Navy plans to ditch Dhruv helicopters

c6da0e51fdcf934ab11def00c5c50253.jpg

The Indian Navy has virtually written off the naval variant of the advanced light helicopter (ALH), Dhruv, saying it has failed to meet basic operational requirements. The navy, which operates a fleet of six ALHs, has decided against placing further orders with the Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL).

A senior navy official told HT, “The ALH has a long way to go before the programme matures sufficiently for it to undertake basic naval roles such as search and rescue (SAR) and communication duties.” He said the helicopter’s ASW (anti-submarine warfare) version developed by HAL still falls short of naval expectations.

Navy officials said that the ALH lacks the desired endurance for mission requirements. The navy is also not satisfied with the chopper’s rotor blade folding mechanism for storage on warships and its payload capacity. The navy has launched a global hunt for new ASW helicopters to replace its ageing fleet of Sea King helicopters.

However, HAL remains buoyant about domestic helicopter sale prospects with the defence ministry entrusting it with the task of developing light utility helicopters for the army and the air force. The ministry has allocated Rs 435 crore for this. The defence public sector undertaking is focusing aggressively on the helicopter business and plans to set up a new helicopter division in Bangalore.

I may be wrong, but I see too much speculation in this report. Whilst it is entirely possible that the Dhruv hasn't met the Navy's expectations, I doubt it would be just written off.

I may be wrong, but I see too much speculation in this report. Whilst it is entirely possible that the Dhruv hasn't met the Navy's expectations, I doubt it would be just written off.

to be honest it does not matter,dhruv was primarily intended for the army and has met army's requirements to the point that 300 helicopters have been ordered ,development of the naval variant was just a secondary process,the indian navy has a requirement for heavy helicopters in the sea king class.

however if they can finetune the dhruv's search and rescue capability the coast guard may acquire more dhruvs,currently the indian coast guard plans to acquire 60 dhruvs.

to be honest it does not matter,dhruv was primarily intended for the army and has met army's requirements to the point that 300 helicopters have been ordered ,development of the naval variant was just a secondary process,the indian navy has a requirement for heavy helicopters in the sea king class.

however if they can finetune the dhruv's search and rescue capability the coast guard may acquire more dhruvs,currently the indian coast guard plans to acquire 60 dhruvs.

Dhruv is a 21century Huey for IA!

The report is not entirely correct.

Navy have ruled out Dhruv for ASW role.

8 Dhruv's are inducted in Navy's service and 4 in Coast Guard. Insha-allah more to follow.

8b52cc9d09ef6131aaaa7e2dd720427d.jpg

1b82261dce39a23c8d848fb1775d128d.jpg

20341befa52f2131d3b108ddcd45b190.jpg

GB

The HAL Dhruv (Sanskrit: ध्रुव, "Pole Star") is a multi-role helicopter developed and manufactured by India's Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL). It is being supplied to the Indian Armed Forces, and a civilian variant is also available. The type was first exported to Nepal and Israel, and is on order by several other countries for both military and commercial uses. Specialized military variants include anti-submarine warfare and helicopter gunship versions.[3]

:bounce:HAL Dhruv - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

India should continue with the Dhruv
helicopters after all the Indian Navy can sell them to other
countries in the near future.

Back
Top Bottom