Navy keen on weaponised Dhruv

RPK

Reaction score
Country
India
The Hindu : Today's Paper / NATIONAL : Navy keen on weaponised Dhruv

S. ANANDAN

LCH, under development, to participate in Air Force firepower demo
The Navy, which had earlier turned its back on the Advanced Light Helicopter (ALH) built by Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL) over issues with the dimension of the helicopter blade that ostensibly made it unsuitable for ship-borne operations, is learnt to have evinced interest, at Aero India, in the weaponised ALH named Rudra, which was inducted into the Army.

The force, which currently operates eight ALHs mainly for search and rescue operations, is keen on inducting at least 20 Rudras, the Mark 4 version of weapon system integrated ALH, for coastal security operations.

The Coast Guard, in the meantime, may opt for a truncated version of Rudra, probably the Mark 3 variant with a customised side-mounted gun, for the same purpose.

Quality image

During recent flight trials of Rudra over the sea at Kochi, its sensors proved their mettle tracking ships from a range of about 12 km to 14 km. “The quality of the image was so good that we could read names of vessels from that distance,” said Wing Commander (retired) Subash P. John, test pilot (rotary wing) of HAL.

He said the Light Combat Helicopter (LCH), under development at HAL, is also shaping up well, is all set to take part in the forthcoming firepower demonstration of the Air Force, Iron Fist, in Pokhran. “The helicopter will fly in formation with other HAL helicopters Cheetah, Chetak and ALH besides doing some display-flying,” he said.

Unni Pillai, Wing Commander (retd.) and chief test pilot (rotary wing) of HAL, said the lessons learnt from building the ALH stood HAL in good stead while developing the LCH and the Light Utility Helicopter (LUH), currently being ground-tested.

The LCH programme, funded by the Air Force, is progressing well, and the aim is to hand over the first helicopter at the next edition of Aero India. “The LUH prototype would hopefully be flying then,” he said.

Orders placed

The Air Force has placed orders for 64 LCHs and the Army has expressed its desire to buy 114.

Two LCH helicopters, technology demonstrators 1 and 2 (TD-1 and TD-2), are flying at the moment, while TD-3, which will be the final configuration of the helicopter, will be flying at the beginning of next year, he pointed out.

The LCH, in the 5.8 to 5.10 tonne class of helicopters, will have anti-tank guided missiles (ATGM), which will be either MBDA-made Pars3 or Rafael-built Spike-ER till the time the indigenous Helina gets operational; air-to-air missile Mistral2; 70 mm rockets and 20 mm turret-mounted guns that can be operated using helmet-mounted pointing mechanism.

There exists a capability gap in neutralising unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs) that violate Indian air space and the LCH is an ideal platform for intercepting these surveillance UAVs, said Mr. Pillai.

The helicopter’s sensor package includes an Israel-made electro-optic tracking system, forward-looking infrared, TV camera, laser rangefinder and laser designator. For self-protection, it has radar warning receiver, laser warning receiver and missile approach warning sensor.

The two TDs currently flight-tested are carrying dummy warheads, but weapon integration and testing will be done once TD3 comes out.

Suited for

high altitude

The stealth helicopter, with very low radar cross-section, is suited for high-altitude operations as well. “We took the helicopter to 20,000 ft during trials over Bangalore,” said Mr. Pillai.

Lessons learnt from building the ALH stood HAL in good stead while developing the LCH: Pillai

The Air Force has ordered 64 LCHs while the Army wants to buy 114 of them

Good to see, HAL's product is being appreciated by all the three department of defence. There is a huge possibility that by the end of this decade India can become self dependent atleast as far as heli capability is concerned.

Awesome News!!! kudos to HAL rotary wing!! HAL LCA wing needs to learn lessons and expedite the LCA SPs production.

During recent flight trials of Rudra over the sea at Kochi, its sensors proved their mettle tracking ships from a range of about 12 km to 14 km. “The quality of the image was so good that we could read names of vessels from that distance,” said Wing Commander (retired) Subash P. John, test pilot (rotary wing) of HAL.

SV2000/XV2000 ISAR doing wonders.

Good article :tup:

But there is no news on LCH in past few months and the article itself mention nothing new.
It's same thing that came out in 2010/11. So what's the problem ??? Are we stuck somewhere ???
So basic question being is LCH project in cold storage since last few years ???
I would glad to be wrong if Iron fist say otherwise :D

HAL_Dhruv_WSI_for_Navy.jpg

Indian_Navy_-_HAL_Dhruv.jpg

But there is no news on LCH in past few months and the article itself mention nothing new.
It's same thing that came out in 2010/11. So what's the problem ??? Are we stuck somewhere ???

LCH TD-2 has undergone very visible changes since its first appearence in 2011 and we have seen that
in Aero India 2013 just a few days back. New stub sings, new gun pod mounting etc.

TD-3 will fly soon, its the last TD.

TD-1 and TD-2 have lodged about 170 flights so far, LCH has not been kept in cold storage, neither are
we stuck somewhere. Its one of the fastest-progressing programmes of HAL to date.

Its just a matter of few months before we see the production-grade form of LCH flying.

No, LCH, IMHO won't be there in Iron Fist...only the jets and Mi-35.

LCH TD-2 has undergone very visible changes since its first appearence in 2011 and we have seen that
in Aero India 2013 just a few days back. New stub sings, new gun pod mounting etc.

TD-1 and TD-2 have lodged about 170 flights so far, LCH has not been kept in cold storage, neither are
we stuck somewhere. Its one of the fastest-progressing programmes of HAL to date.

Its just a matter of few months before we see the production-grade form of LCH flying.

A poem for Hal Dhruv and DRDO

BAS CHALTA CHAL.......

Lag gaye zindagi ki daud me,
Manzil ko paane hi hod me,
Bhool kar tu har beeta hua pal,
bas chalta chal, chalta chal

Rasta dekh rahi hai raahe,
pasaar kar apni ye baahen,
Na kar tu der, ab ek pal

Aayengi raah me bahut se baadha
Na badlne dena tu apna iraada
Rakhna suru apne dil me hulchal

Na bhatke manzil se nazar teri,
na asar ho koi umeedo par teri
Dil me machi rehne dena khalbal

Dekh buland iraada tera, chattaane bhi charmarayengi
Jo kabhi lagti thi mushkil, wo raahe asaan ho jaayegi
Samay se ladne waale ka, khud samay ho jaayega Kaayal,

My point was nothing's happening. Our PSU's are very vocal when they get success. As I said earlier I would loved to be wrong.
But if you look at the NLCA history so far you will get what I mean

From the article in OP
He said the Light Combat Helicopter (LCH), under development at HAL, is also shaping up well, is all set to take part in the forthcoming firepower demonstration of the Air Force, Iron Fist, in Pokhran. “The helicopter will fly in formation with other HAL helicopters Cheetah, Chetak and ALH besides doing some display-flying,” he said.

A poem for Hal Dhruv and DRDO

BAS CHALTA CHAL.......

Lag gaye zindagi ki daud me,
Manzil ko paane hi hod me,
Bhool kar tu har beeta hua pal,

Rasta dekh rahi hai raahe,
pasaar kar apni ye baahen,
Na kar tu der, ab ek pal

Aayengi raah me bahut se baadha
Na badlne dena tu apna iraada
Rakhna suru apne dil me hulchal

Na bhatke manzil se nazar teri,
na asar ho koi umeedo par teri
Dil me machi rehne dena khalbal

Dekh buland iraada tera, chattaane bhi charmarayengi
Jo kabhi lagti thi mushkil, wo raahe asaan ho jaayegi
Samay se ladne waale ka, khud samay ho jaayega Kaayal,

Wah wah maza hi agya

My point was nothing's happening. Our PSU's are very vocal when they get success. As I said earlier I would loved to be wrong.
But if you look at the NLCA history so far you will get what I mean

From the article in OP

Ive read the passage. Iron Fist is a firepower demostration exercise. Formation flying is not that exercise, is it?

Back
Top Bottom